Enchatment Bed Bug

Someone could have carried them on in their luggage from the hotel the night before cruise. Have seen some stories from 5 star resorts with infestations. Someone brought them with them without paying for their cruise fare. Bugs sailing for free!!!

Remember reading another thread where airline seats are a breeding ground for bed bugs.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There were bed bugs in my room...2093 in Oct. of 2016. We actually saw one and held it until someone from the ship staff came to see it. They gave us 30% of what we paid back in a credit for a future cruise, plus $100 onboard credit for a future cruise because they destroyed some of our items when they washed them. Overall, they handled the situation very well, moved us to an upgraded room, etc. I think the compensation should have been a little more though. I am actually brave enough to go back on Enchantment next year, but I will be calling prior to my sailing requesting to not be in a room that has had an issue recently.

There were bed bugs in my room...2093 in Oct. of 2016. We actually saw one and held it until someone from the ship staff came to see it. They gave us 30% of what we paid back in a credit for a future cruise, plus $100 onboard credit for a future cruise because they destroyed some of our items when they washed them. Overall, they handled the situation very well, moved us to an upgraded room, etc. I think the compensation should have been a little more though. I am actually brave enough to go back on Enchantment next year, but I will be calling prior to my sailing requesting to not be in a room that has had an issue recently.

I don't blame you and i think you should have got more compensation.

Bed bugs are a problem that crop up in nearly every hotel in the world. From dumps to 5-star luxury resorts.

I've got in the habit of leaving my luggage at the door, pulling up the bed sheets, and lifting up the seams of the bed to look for the spots. Just google 'signs of bed bugs' on google and you'll find plenty of pictures of what it looks like.

Bed bugs are a problem that crop up in nearly every hotel in the world. From dumps to 5-star luxury resorts.

I've got in the habit of leaving my luggage at the door, pulling up the bed sheets, and lifting up the seams of the bed to look for the spots. Just google 'signs of bed bugs' on google and you'll find plenty of pictures of what it looks like.

Never seen them and hopefully never will.

There are so many nationality's on ships now each with their own hygiene standards that it is probably understandable that someone might inadvertently have carried something onboard.

Bedbugs can infest a million dollar pristinely clean home. All it takes is for that home owner to carry one home with them. I had to fight them when a tenant's girlfriend brought them into the apartment attached to my home last year. It is NO fun, expensive, and not easy to get handled.

That said, all it takes is for one person who has them (or picked them up at the hotel the night before their cruise) to go ahead and pack up and go on a cruise. Bring one bug w/ you accidentally and it will set up shop. I'm sure staff is trained to recognize the blood splatter patterns of bites and to inspect the beds, but until they reproduce it would be much harder to spot. It starts with one room and as long as they're getting fed in that room they aren't likely to spread to other rooms looking for a meal.

This issue is huge and getting worse across the US. Cruise ships aren't immune, but they're no different than hotels etc. Learn what to look for and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS inspect your bed before you even bring your stuff in and put it in the room.

Judy