Getting to Pier 91 in Seattle

Max and Ruby

Hello!

I read on another website that if you take a taxi to the Pier you will get to the Pier drop off area faster than if you take a shuttle/uber/private car service. Those services wait in a queue area. This is for Royal Caribbean cruise line.

Is this true? The reviewer was warning others that her Uber fare was going to be more money because of the hour long wait. I have never used Uber, so I don't know how that works. I was just considering a shuttle service run by the hotel versus a taxi to get to the Pier. If a taxi will get me to the Pier quicker I will choose that.

Just wanted some advice.

I also posted this under US West Coast Departures.

Thanks!

A

it's a 5 mile ride at most, maybe $15 by cab.

I've only stayed downtown a couple of times and the belldesk just flagged down or called a cab for us. A 5 minute wait.

When I've had to call a cab I use the flat rate taxi service ..... eastsideforhire.com. Their rate is based on zip codes so it's easy to determine the chg by using their web site. For your case 98101 to 98122, $9.

Hardly worth fretting about :>)

The hotel shuttle is probably on a schedule and you're waiting for people to load, unload, or show up on time ......

Thank you! What about the 4 of us with our luggage? When I think taxi I think small 4 door vehicle. Would we need 2 taxis - 1 for me and 1 of my daughters and another for husband and other daughter? Or do they now have SUV type taxis too?

I think that is why we were focused on the shuttle service by Hyatt. $8 pp and all of us together. But even with 2 "4 door type" taxis it comes out similar price. Plus if I can save time getting to check in at the Pier that would make a taxi the winner!

A

like most taxi companies, Eastside mostly uses Prius cars, but they also have minivans ( for a few $ more). Reserve a minivan and you should be fine riding together.

Even at 2 taxis , the cost is $18 vs $32 for the shuttle. With a cab, YOU have control over your schedule rather than waiting for a shuttle and stragglers.

Can't help you with the Uber/Lyfft option. Never used them, probably won't ..

Anyone have insight on the second question? Do the taxis get in faster by not having to wait in a queue?

When we went in late May in a personal vehicle we were able to get dropped off around 10:30, but it was a nightmare. I would suggest a cab since they have a designated lane. I would also suggest getting there early, leave the hotel around 9:15-9:30 am. We were let on the Celebrity Solstice at 11:30 and were able to roam the ship without the crowds and lunch was available at about 12:00, cabins opened at 1:30.

Hello!

I read on another website that if you take a taxi to the Pier you will get to the Pier drop off area faster than if you take a shuttle/uber/private car service. Those services wait in a queue area. This is for Royal Caribbean cruise line.

Is this true? The reviewer was warning others that her Uber fare was going to be more money because of the hour long wait. I have never used Uber, so I don't know how that works. I was just considering a shuttle service run by the hotel versus a taxi to get to the Pier. If a taxi will get me to the Pier quicker I will choose that.

Just wanted some advice.

I also posted this under US West Coast Departures.

Thanks!

A

I'm attaching a text document that while it is designed mainly for people cruising on Princess & Holland-America and going from SeaTac airport to Pier 91, the contact info for the 2 main shuttle services are there and they go from most of the hotels to the pier also. Read through it and you may find answers to a number of your questions.

Tom

Transportation from SeaTac to Pier 91.txt

I just cruised from Pier 91 with two ships in port, Royal and Celebrity. They are sending the Uber drivers to a staging area where we waited over an hour to be let out of the parking lot and into the port. The taxis were sent straight through to the Port without waiting. This is my hometown and I was not happy to see what they did to the Uber drivers and passengers. If you decide to take Uber definitely plan to get to the Pier as early as possible. My driver said he made the 10:00 run without staging. I left at 10:30 to go to the port and it was a nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our hotel (Silver Cloud on Broadway) scheduled us with a private service to take 7 of us to Pier 91 for $70. Maybe not the best way but my friend did the same thing last year and it worked out well.

My question is what is the easiest and fastest way to get from the pier to the airport with elderly parents? They are 80 and 85. My friend told me that they took a shuttle service last time and they almost missed their flight because they had to wait on other people. She recommended taking a cab, but since there are seven of us it is not very convenient. Any thoughts?

Our hotel (Silver Cloud on Broadway) scheduled us with a private service to take 7 of us to Pier 91 for $70. Maybe not the best way but my friend did the same thing last year and it worked out well.

My question is what is the easiest and fastest way to get from the pier to the airport with elderly parents? They are 80 and 85. My friend told me that they took a shuttle service last time and they almost missed their flight because they had to wait on other people. She recommended taking a cab, but since there are seven of us it is not very convenient. Any thoughts?

I would suggest a taxi and get off the ship early, if you can carry your luggage off there won't be too many crowds.

What time is your flight?

In general, the first shuttle vans fill up and leave the port quickly. The later departures will probably have the stragglers ...

7 people with luggage won't fit into any SUV or limo. 2 minivan taxis would do the job but if you all need to be together, contact Shuttle Express or Seattle Express for one of their private vans. Also, look at the Seattle forum of trip advisor, in the Top Questions section they might list other vendors beside the 2 I know of.

p.s. Just remembered ...Yellow Cab Seattle has 8-10 pax vans.

Edited by mapleleaves
ps

I would carry my luggage off the ship and head right to the taxi line. You will need 2 taxis, but at a flat fee of $40 to the airport it is a good deal. I did see a large taxi van pull up while I was on line and it was waiting to be filled with passengers.

pier 91 is outside the flat fee zone. (Unless you're using a flat fare vendor)

Not according to their web site. The flat rate to Seatac is from downtown. This is also what they told me on the phone last summer.

I asked the taxi supervisor at the pier about this about 4 weeks ago and he confirmed it. There is also a sign stating that in the walkway leading from the terminal building to the taxi line that states that also. If I can remember to do it, I will take a picture of that sign on Saturday and post it here. I understand why you believe what I posted is not the case, based on what you were told when you checked on this and I would feel the same way. That is why I will take a picture as proof. As to why the difference between the sign at the pier/site supervisor, the website, and the man on the phone...it's probably the old left hand versus right hand situation! :D

Tom

I asked the taxi supervisor at the pier about this about 4 weeks ago and he confirmed it. There is also a sign stating that in the walkway leading from the terminal building to the taxi line that states that also. If I can remember to do it, I will take a picture of that sign on Saturday and post it here. I understand why you believe what I posted is not the case, based on what you were told when you checked on this and I would feel the same way. That is why I will take a picture as proof. As to why the difference between the sign at the pier/site supervisor, the website, and the man on the phone...it's probably the old left hand versus right hand situation! :D

Tom

Well, things change, and web sites aren't always updated, so anything is possible. :)

It's always a good idea for folks to verify with the vendor.

Have you heard anything (reviews) about Seatac Towncar service?

Not to the best of my knowledge. There is a posting around here where someone speaks very highly of a gentleman named AJ (I think that was his name.) but I don't remember where the thread is. Okay, just went looking for it. (It was in the first area that I looked. ;p) Go to this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2505596 and you'll see that they talk about SeaTac Towncar Service (funny that I remembered the driver's name and not the company!) which is who AJ works for. The really like him so hopefully, you like him also.

Tom