Help me plan/obsess/fantasize a bit.

hrwi

I'm on paradise this October to Havana. The entire reason I've booked a cruise or doing this vacation is to go to Cuba. Two adults, three kids in an oceanview. We like each other enough that I think this room will work. ;) Now there are rumors that Cuba may be closed to US traffic, and I'm not sure that the cruise will go there. Worst case, they will change the ports of this cruise, and I'd assume they change to the other route for this ship - which is Roatan/Cozumel from what I can see.This holds very little interest to me but trying to explore options. For reference, the price I've locked in at is almost exactly $2000 with port fees,etc.

To go on the same ship but the other route, right now, is about$1300. Since I can't price the exact dates, I know it could shift, but it's still going to be about $500 difference. Would they refund me, or on-board credit me, or potentially upgrade me? The closest thing I can find for a suite is about $2400, which might be desirable, but on the current route (that is,Cuba on those dates) it's pricing at over $4000 which is not good. The other kink in this plan is that Paradise doesn’t have balconies, so you get ocean view or suite.

We could do 4 days on the Victory with a balcony for $1500. I guess if it's just going to be a cruise for the purpose of being a vacation in itself, I'd rather upgrade room and worry less about ports. Have not bought plane tickets yet, and Tampa isn’t particularly cheap, so all ports of departure are the same in that regard.

Other option would be leaving the kids behind and just doing something for our anniversary (September). This one I’d probably do 3-4 days and get something fancy (balcony at least). I’ve already paid $900, and for that price I could just get a 3 day suite on liberty for the two of us and have it just be a couples weekend. Also cheaper to fly two people. Then in the spring/early summer do a (land, probably) family vacation.

Just remembered another option – departing out of NYC. We live within reasonable driving/train range, and could do a late summer cruise there.Currently a four day to Bermuda is $3800, which is a little high, but maybe? Or maybe the two of us for about $1400, which is fine considering flights, etc. We could enjoy some of the adults-only areas, etc.

Anyone have other ideas? My concern is that the announcement will happen Friday and I’ll want to make a decision asap, and if I haven’t explored all of my options, will end up doing whatever Carnival tells me to do when I call.Currently my final payment is due July 7 so I don’t have loads of time.

I guess the final option would be cancellation. How would that work? I’d actually be okay with having a credit at carnival going forward, if I actually get to keep all of my money. If I had a virtual credit of $900, I’d book for June 2019 as soon as I could for a girls trip we are planning. But I’m not even sure that’s a thing. ;)

What rate type did you book under? If it is early saver you will pay $50 per person ( $250 total for 5 ) to cancel or change to a different date/ship. The rest will be kept in an account for you to use with Carnival. If it is Past guest, or other fares you need to read the rules... Past Guest is 100% refundable before final payment.

Did you get insurance? If so does it have cancel for any reason clause? If you can still get that, you might look into it.

Carnival is well within their rights to change the itinerary for any reason, and if the US government decides to go back to the no visit policy the Carnival will honor it with no question. I totally understand booking for a destination, but I always warn friends that it can change for lots of reasons..

I suggest you talk to your travel agent on options ( even if that is Carnival ) if you self booked, you might want to call Carnival and ask them.

Just FYI, I booked under Early Saver. I understand I'd be out the $250, but I'm just trying to console myself that I won't get to Cuba and trying to explore my options. I read somewhere that an itinerary change allows travelers to change ships within 24 hours, and (although that might not apply here), would want to know what direction I'd head within that 24 hours. Timing isn't great because I'm going camping on friday and could be off the grid for many of those 24 hours!

If you booked the early saver doesn't that give you the price break if prices drop? If Cuba is cancelled than the prices on that cruise will drop tremendously. Honestly, Carnival and all these other lines should do the right thing and just give people the option of a full refund if Cuba is out. All of these lines are using this Cuba thing as an excuse to charge a premium on their worst ships. Yeah, the rules are in the fine print and the consumer should know the risks, but the cruise lines are much better versed in the political nuances of these trips.

If you booked the early saver doesn't that give you the price break if prices drop? If Cuba is cancelled than the prices on that cruise will drop tremendously. Honestly, Carnival and all these other lines should do the right thing and just give people the option of a full refund if Cuba is out. All of these lines are using this Cuba thing as an excuse to charge a premium on their worst ships. Yeah, the rules are in the fine print and the consumer should know the risks, but the cruise lines are much better versed in the political nuances of these trips.

That's what I'm hoping - worse case, that the price drop will be enough to get me excited about this route. Hopefully it'll happen before final payment is due and I'll only have a few more dollars to pay.

I am hoping, like you said, that Carnival will do a little more, though, because they know this route was a draw. I've been nothing but pleased with the service I've received so far when I've called (I'm a first timer, I think I've called three times with weird questions).

And I know the speculation and worry isn't gaining me anything, but I"m using it as an opportunity to fantasize about 3 days on a ship with just my husband and a cocktail in hand!

Sorry, but I cannot understand why someone would pay so much to go to Cuba?

It's the forbidden fruit. Until recently it was probably third behind North Korea and the moon as far as difficulty for an American to visit...and from the pictures I have seen it looks to be more fun than those two places.

It's the forbidden fruit. Until recently it was probably third behind North Korea and the moon as far as difficulty for an American to visit...and from the pictures I have seen it looks to be more fun than those two places.

These folks don't seem to think it's all that fun...

cuba_zpslmykdzm2.jpg

These folks don't seem to think it's all that fun...

cuba_zpslmykdzm2.jpg

Maybe it's like Washington DC. A nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.

People are welcome to boycott the trips. I don't think I would go myself, but the fact is that our country allows travel to countless countries with severe human rights violations. This one was just banned over an incident in the 60's. It's a dated ban. I agree with lifting many of the restrictions, but I don't think it would be the end of the world if Trump reimposes them.