Princess or Norwegian for Alaska

marcyjane

Hello,

We are looking into Alaska for May 2006 and due to vacation time need a cruise line that leaves on Sunday and also from Port of Seattle round trip.

After searching the web we have found 2 sailing that will fit our vacation time they are on May 21, 2006.

Just was wondering which cruise line any of you have been on to Alaska. I've read a lot of people like Glacier Bay better than Tracy Fords.

Just anything about either line and also cabin choices, dining on each line, I seem to like the the offer of the freestyle dining on Norwegian we have never cruise with that choice before. We've only done Carnival and Royal Caribbean Lines.

Would like to Thank you in advance for any info you can share.

Marcyjane

I love the Sun and Dawn Princess but I think the itineraries out of Seattle are not impressive and won't do Alaska justice. The times in port are not great and I would pick a ship that goes to Glacier Bay (or Hubbard)...You don't want your only glacier day to be at Tracy Arm.

I would possibly expand your search and maybe look into some Vancouver sailings. Holland America has some great RT out of Vancouver.

I love the Sun and Dawn Princess but I think the itineraries out of Seattle are not impressive and won't do Alaska justice. The times in port are not great and I would pick a ship that goes to Glacier Bay (or Hubbard)...You don't want your only glacier day to be at Tracy Arm.

I would possibly expand your search and maybe look into some Vancouver sailings. Holland America has some great RT out of Vancouver.

I got to agree with Coral in that I have been to Alaska three times and your best bet is out of Vancouver for glacier viewing. I have been to Tracy Arm and while it is great side trip nothing beats Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier. The r/t trips out of Seattle do alot of outside passage which means you do not go between Vancouver Island and the main land of British Columbia. The Seattle ones go out toward the ocean and then swing back in. Really look at the itinieries and the maps and you will see. Also go the Ports of Call board under Alaska. There is a wealth of info there.

Marilyn

From Seattle if that is what you are locked into it's a shame the Norwegian Star isn't a Sunday departure???? If it is that itinerary includes Glacier Bay.. We loved our Diamond Princess cruise from Seattle last year but have been to Alaska many times so the lack of inside passage cruising and missing GlaBay is no big deal and Tracy Arm is gorgeous.

I prefer Princess to NCL overall but if there is any way you can get yourself on the Norwegian Star from Seattle, that's your best bet IMHO>

Thanks Caroline,

I just checked the Norwegian web site and the Star does leave on Sunday, so I guess we will be set once we book and then look at airlines to decide about flights.

I'm not sure hope this is ok to ask on the boards, but will a returning flight home out of Seattle at 1:05 pm give us plenty of time to get off the ship and to the airport?

Thanks so much to all of you:)

Marcyjane

I too would suggest a priority of Glacier Bay with NCL. Also going in May can have ice conditions in Tracy Arm that may get you no glacier viewing??

I do like the Sun and Dawn Princess ships, some of the "smallest" now sailing Alaska. :) But the Star is just excellent for deck viewing as well. Plenty of factors to consider, so look at ports, time in ports, route, glacier, price. Budget fully for costly excursions, they are worth it. :)

My opinion only, I too have gone to Alaska several times, but routing is still very important to me and will go inside Vancouver Island every chance I get. :)

You folks have been such a help with you information and travel tips, I have researched several cruise and plan them, but Alaska has been a challenge due to us just having a limited vacation days.

Thanks so much

Marycjane:)

Marcyjane-we did Alaska on Princess Sapphire 7/04 & did repo cruise on NCL Star 10/05-loved both ships, Princess more upscale/dressed up-I liked Princess better overall for ambiance, but loved the more casual dress on NCL Star. What others have said @ the inside passage is correct, but if you can only do the one out of Seattle- do it-its still amazing! Both lines offer "freestyle". IMO, whichever one you choose-get a balcony. Its the one destination that I would insist on one. Its light for 16-17 hr a day(in July) & we spent more time on our balcony than anywhere else on the ship. I found the scenery on the whole cruise spectacular & ours was the "undesirable route"-R/T out of Seattle. The glacier viewing was only 1 day in Tracey Arm-which was awesome, so if you are going to see alot of glaciers, pick the route thats has the 2 glacial cruising days. I loved the entire trip & hope to do it again one day. Have fun. Liz

Have you thought about Holland America? They have a Sunday sailing out of Seattle on the Westerdam with Hubbard Glacier.

We like NCL but no naturalist onboard. ..at least not on our Dream sailing.I really think next time we go a naturalist will be a priority...just something you might want to consider.

Katybird,

Thanks, yes I did look at Holland but, the thing is I get these bonus points where I work and the points are like "money" and they go onto a American Express card and I can only use it and there selected places and RCI, NCL, CCL, & Princess and the only ones that are listed for cruise travel.

Thanks,

Marcyjane

marcijane................if you are still around? While I would hate to talk anyone OUT of going to Alaska, please indulge me for a minute.

In 2003 we sailed a 7 day round trip out of Seattle with Princess. This past May we did a 12 day round trip San Francisco with Celebrity. We also have experienced a short NCL cruise.

The Celebrity cruise docked in Vancouver on the way up and Victoria on the way back, we missed Seattle. What this means is we sailed the entire inside passage between Vancouver Island and the mainland on the Celebrity cruise and missed all of that with Princess out of Seattle. This was a day each way of the most beautiful scenery on either side of the ship, it was like taking a river cruise. I am so glad we did the seven day first as I would have been disappointed for sure if it had been the other way around.

Also, for what it's worth, and it is just my opinion but I do think everything on Princess is a bit better than NCL. Both Celebrity and Princess had naturalists on board.

I have told people a cruise is a vacation a cruise to Alaska is a vacation AND an adventure. Maybe you would wait until you can truly do the trip justice? Whatever you do I am sure you will enjoy what you see.

marcijane................if you are still around? While I would hate to talk anyone OUT of going to Alaska, please indulge me for a minute.

Also, for what it's worth, and it is just my opinion but I do think everything on Princess is a bit better than NCL. Both Celebrity and Princess had naturalists on board.

Maybe you would wait until you can truly do the trip justice? Whatever you do I am sure you will enjoy what you see.

I agree with you 100%. I would not recommend to anyone a 7 night out of Seattle. The routings, the time in port, just doesn't do Alaska justice.

You can take the quick shuttle or Amtrak to Vancouver from Seattle. I believe Amtrak leaves Seattle at 7:45am and arrives in Vancouver about 11:40..then hop on the ship. The train back is at 6pm and you could fly home Monday or maybe a red eye flight that night? I don't know how the timing would work for that. It is so much less to fly into Seattle so we are considering this plan.

I agree, Vancouver has the superior sailing. We were lucky that our Seattle sailing did the inside passage and it was 11 nights. 7 nights seems very short..you want to see as much as possible. BUT, if you HAVE to do a Seattle RT I would do it rather than scratch the trip.

Good luck! I know it is hard to decide...so many choices and things to take into consideration. There will be trade offs no matter what.

Thanks guys, well we had narrowed it down to the 2 cruise lines due to the Sunday sailing, and the choice for Seattle R/T was of course due to cost of airfare.

It's a friend and myself going. We are both now single baby boomers and have a limited income.

So we thought we could fly in on Friday and have Saturday to tour Seattle then board the ship on Sunday and on return fly home Sunday and then that's Memorial Day Weekend, so we could rest of Monday before going back to work.

So therefore our time and money is limited.:mad:

Thanks,

Marcyjane

Hi, it's me again, just need to throw a curve in here....................as has been mentioned you can fly into Seattle and take Amtrak to Vancouver, check this out:

Sun, Jun 11 Vancouver, British Columbia Departure Depart 5:45 PM

Mon, Jun 12 Inside Passage (Cruising) Cruising

Tue, Jun 13 Ketchikan, Alaska Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 4:00 PM Wed, Jun 14 Hubbard Glacier (Cruising) Cruising Arrive 3:00 PM Depart 5:00 PM

Thu, Jun 15 Juneau, Alaska Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 9:00 PM

Fri, Jun 16 Sitka, Alaska Tendered Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 4:00 PM

Sat, Jun 17 Inside Passage (Cruising) Cruising

Sun, Jun 18 Vancouver, British Columbia Arrival Arrive 7:00 AM

It's Celebrity Infinity and for a June cruise I think the rate is pretty darn good. It is on a Sunday so you are covered there but you would lose the Monday holiday.

We all want you to just have the best cruise you can.............:D

Marcyjane,

Even with your time/money limitations, I'm sure you will have a great time. Hubby and I took the RT Seattle trip on the Sapphire Princess in June 2004 for our honeymoon--it was our first cruise and we didn't know the difference between Alaska routes, as far as which was better, etc. We had a FABULOUS time, and saw tons of beautiful scenery and wildlife...even though it was the "less desirable" route to Alaska.

As for Princess vs. NCL, it really just depends what you'd rather do. Princess is somewhat dressy in the evenings, and an Alaska itinerary (esp. in May when many kids are still in school) will be mostly older passengers. Even in June, ours was about 70% 65+ passengers. It didn't matter to us--we truly enjoyed it, but esp. expect Princess to cater to the slightly older crowd. NCL may have a more younger folks on it because it's less traditional, much more casual, and has a different atmosphere, possibly catering to a younger crowd. Who knows--each sailing is different--and I hope you will have fun on either one!

Marcyjane,

Even with your time/money limitations, I'm sure you will have a great time. Hubby and I took the RT Seattle trip on the Sapphire Princess in June 2004 for our honeymoon--it was our first cruise and we didn't know the difference between Alaska routes, as far as which was better, etc. We had a FABULOUS time, and saw tons of beautiful scenery and wildlife...even though it was the "less desirable" route to Alaska.

As for Princess vs. NCL, it really just depends what you'd rather do. Princess is somewhat dressy in the evenings, and an Alaska itinerary (esp. in May when many kids are still in school) will be mostly older passengers. Even in June, ours was about 70% 65+ passengers. It didn't matter to us--we truly enjoyed it, but esp. expect Princess to cater to the slightly older crowd. NCL may have a more younger folks on it because it's less traditional, much more casual, and has a different atmosphere, possibly catering to a younger crowd. Who knows--each sailing is different--and I hope you will have fun on either one!

Hi

Can you possibly for go the day in Seattle or the day of rest and this might make the cruise more flexible for you.

One thing I can say for Princess is that if you are on the Grand Class ships or newer the covered pool area is the greatest. You can swim and use the hot tubs in the freezing weather.

Princess also has much better priority in docking is Alaksa, which eliminates some tendering, at least when I went in 2002.

I was happy with the inside cabin because it is light 17 hours a day so you may appreciate a darker cabin.

Hi

One thing I can say for Princess is that if you are on the Grand Class ships or newer the covered pool area is the greatest. You can swim and use the hot tubs in the freezing weather.

NOT on the Sun or Dawn which now are the only ones to sail round trip Seattle, pools are uncovered and completely outside.

As already mentioned, it is simple to get from Seattle to Vancouver, with your extra time off, you can go out of Vancouver if you wish?

Again thank you all so much, you have all gave us so much to think about and decide on for our May 2006 cruise.

As you can see I'm up and on the computer and searching and reading again today. We've got to get everything together cause we need to book first of January better prices go up more.

Thanks so much:)

Marcyjane

Archived