Check in at 1:30... Still use a Porter?

ElizabethR25

This is my first time cruising so I've spent a lot of time reading through these threads and they have been SO helpful. I've read that the porters quit taking luggage at 2PM and that the rooms on the ship are typically ready around 1:30 or 2. So if my check-in time is at 1:30 (4pm sailing time) then I'm assuming we'll be walking on the ship around 2PM and our room will be ready by that point(?). So would it be easier for me and my husband to just carry our bags on and not worry about the porter service? We're both young and in good shape and we don't have any kids. We will only have one large suitcase each.

What ever you take into the terminal has to pass thru security check point and MUST fit in the xray machine.

So,, if everything you have is carry on size, by all means carry it if you choose. Anything larger must be handed over to the porters.

If your bag, or bags will fit thru the security scanners at check-in then you can take them with you onto the ship. If you are taking your allotment of wine, it must be in a carryon bag that goes thru the scanner.

If your bag will not fit throught the scanner, it must be given to shoreside personnel who will see that it is loaded onto the ship.

"There is no porter service after 2:00 PM. Guests arriving after this time will be responsible for taking their own luggage on board." - Carnival Website

So what about people who check in after 2PM? I thought that being responsible for their own luggage meant bringing it on the ship with them....

The last 2 cruises we have brought all of our luggage with us. The size restrictions are on Carnivals website and say:

"Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes and to avoid any delivery delay, all luggage should be unlocked."

As long as you are comfortable carrying it, I would recommend that after 1:30 pm so you just have it in your room and are not waiting for it to be delivered later.

What ever you take into the terminal has to pass thru security check point and MUST fit in the xray machine.

So,, if everything you have is carry on size, by all means carry it if you choose. Anything larger must be handed over to the porters.

This "carry on" size comment is often very confusing to cruise passengers. You don't need to fit everything into airline carry on size of 21 or 22" tall bags. My medium and large 25" and 29" tall bags fit just fine in the scanners. Those are much too large for an airline carry on which is what most people equate the rules with but work just fine on a cruise.

What's important is the height and width when laying down, on a bed for instance. When your bags are flat on a bed, measure the height and the width to see if your bag will fit. Most bags will fit by the way and if you can limit yourself to one bag each person, you will have no issues rolling it around the ship yourself. If you have to do some stairs for any reason, you just need to be able to huff it up!

This "carry on" size comment is often very confusing to cruise passengers. You don't need to fit everything into airline carry on size of 21 or 22" tall bags. My medium and large 25" and 29" tall bags fit just fine in the scanners. Those are much too large for an airline carry on which is what most people equate the rules with but work just fine on a cruise.

What's important is the height and width when laying down, on a bed for instance. When your bags are flat on a bed, measure the height and the width to see if your bag will fit. Most bags will fit by the way and if you can limit yourself to one bag each person, you will have no issues rolling it around the ship yourself. If you have to do some stairs for any reason, you just need to be able to huff it up!

Thanks for this info - SO helpful! I was definitely thinking airline carry on when I read "carry on" in the other comment and while I'm not an over packer, it would be difficult to pack for a 7 day cruise in an airline size carry on. Thanks again to everyone for the info on this. I think we will probably just carry our luggage on.