How ugly is 10 Ships in Port?

GSDsky

Hey.. you are lucky... I will have 11 ships in on the day I will be there.. I have already decided to stay on the ship. I can't imagine fighting those crowds. I had booked stingray city but I am sure it will be terrible with the crowds. I am calling to cancel today.

I emailed Captain Marvin's about the stingray tour on GC (Grand Princess 12/14/05) and I received the following reply:

Christine,

Thanks for your note. My schedule from the Port Authority shows that there will be 7 ships in port on Dec. 14th. The only one arriving at noon is the Grand Princess. Five ships arrive between 7 and 8 AM, and one at 11 AM, so tendering should be fine by the time you arrive, because most of the people will already be off their ship by noon that day.

If there is a problem with the tendering process that makes it impossible for you to get to our office in time, you will not be charged. See you soon!

Ruth

I feel a little better now. Sometimes I think it is better to have no knowledge of the future than too much. :eek:

I checked this calendar website for our week and it shows the valor coming in on the 26th....but our itinerary from Carnival shows we are actually in on 24th....4 ships instead of 10....we double checked with Carnival and their dates are right...

Todd

Hey.. you are lucky... I will have 11 ships in on the day I will be there.. I have already decided to stay on the ship. I can't imagine fighting those crowds. I had booked stingray city but I am sure it will be terrible with the crowds. I am calling to cancel today.
For whatever it's worth, we did the Stingray City excursion when only 3 cruise ships were anchored, and it was very crowded out there by the sandbar. There was NO WAY they could have anchored any MORE excursion boats into that same area of the stingrays, so how much more crowded could it be? And we had a good time!

We had booked the Stingray City Snorkel Tour for Grand Cayman and have now found out 10 ships will be in that day. I will now cancel and remain on board. Looks like there are too many ships and too few islands, especially where there are no docking facilities and all ships must tender.

We were in Grand Cayman a week ago with seven ships -- the captain said that they expected about 20,000 people to be in town and to plan plenty of time to get back to the ship with traffic, etc. We took a tour with Nativeway and we had to wait maybe 45 extra minutes for everyone to get off of the tenders and onto the buses. We got to the sand bar early and beat the crowds, but boy did they pile in after a while -- I was glad to get out as there had to have been thousands of people looking for maybe a few dozen sting rays. There were very long lines to get back on the tenders for the Navigator, but the Brilliance tenders were not too bad (possibly because the demographic skewed a little older and not as many people came off the ship). We heard that the taxis were caught up in traffic jams for most of the day and it was slow going for us back to the ship.

Our excursion included a trip to Rum Point, which was not too crowded...if you're looking for somewhere relatively quiet that may be an option to consider. I'm going back in Februrary -- five ships scheduled this time -- and hope that it's not nearly as insane as it was this last trip.

Cheers,

Esther

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I think I'm heading to a record because both CC and GC port authority say we are the only ship in port when we are there. What a relief!

With that being said, we are travelling in September and there could be some potential hurricane issues. I'm not sure what is worse, missing the island due to crowds or missing it due to weather.

10 ships in port may be a beautiful sight but what you find on land will be ugly. More of an issue is WHICH 10 ships. Add a Voyager and Grand class ship into the mix each carrying over 3000 passengers and you are talking big numbers of people. Down Town will be packed. Getting to and from the tender docks will be a madhouse. Not only will you have to deal with crowds but everything tends to end up costing more. Merchants are less likely to negotiate to make a sale when they know there are plenty more people to sell to. Taxi's do not compete as much for business as there are plenty of people looking for rides.

Last year when we were aboard Serenade there were days when we were the only ship in port and both merchants and taxi drivers seemed to be falling all over us trying to get our business.

There are a lot of ships sailing these days and only so many developed ports able to take them in. It can be a big problem.

How do you find out how many ships will be in port?

I am getting worried about the hassle....will be on the Victory and in GC on 1/19, wanting to do a 5 hour tour.....but dont want to wait 2 hours to tender back to ship!

Go to www.caymanport.com click on cruise ships on upper left side of the screen and put in your month and year....it will give you a day by day schedule on their calander.

Fortunatly there will be only 4 on my day in port...much better than 10!!!Holy Cow!!! We are going to the sting rays in the late morning...thank goodness.... since the other ships are all arriving 2-3 hours earlier than us...hopefully most will be finishing their tour as we are arriving!

This site doesn't list my ship on 1/31/05!

The Norwegian Dawn!

Should I be worried?

Looks like there are going to be 6 ships there.

Edit: Oops, I had the wrong date, but still looks like 6 other ships there that day. EEK!

We just got back from GC and sat off shore watching Carnival tender and we were not able to because of rough seas. We were on Enchantment of the Seas (RCCL) and captain decided we could not tender after a crew member smashed his hand trying to get tender up to side of ship. It was very disappointing sitting there off shore and not being able to get there. There were two carnival ships tendering while we were there. But with the high seas our excursions would probably not be good experiences anyway. Were doing snorkeling and sting ray city. Have others had this expereince with RCCL? My husband does not want to do RCCL again because he thinks they have a poor tender dock - Carnival uses a dock in further protected of waves.

Oh wow that's crazy... Ships in port is something I've never thought of looking before I cruise and now I'm glad you guys posted this. I will be there Feb 6 and there will be total of 4 ships. In your opinion ... do you think that's too crowded to even consider getting off the boat? I know its not 10 ships and I know I would definately not get off then but do you guys suggest that we stay on the ship with 4 tendered in GC the same day as us? How many people do you think that will be?

Thanks,

~Dolly

Oh wow that's crazy... Ships in port is something I've never thought of looking before I cruise and now I'm glad you guys posted this. I will be there Feb 6 and there will be total of 4 ships. In your opinion ... do you think that's too crowded to even consider getting off the boat? I know its not 10 ships and I know I would definately not get off then but do you guys suggest that we stay on the ship with 4 tendered in GC the same day as us? How many people do you think that will be?

Thanks,

~Dolly

When we were at Grand Cayman on Explorer there was a Carnival, Holland America, and Princess (Grand Class) ship there with us and there was really no problem at all. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Goodness, I had no idea how lucky we are going to be. Our Brilliance is the ONLY ship in port at GC on the day we are there. I reallyl feel for you on the crowded days. Just hope we can tender on that day. Last cruise we could not go in because of rough seas.

Thanks,

~Dolly

I was there when there was 4 ships in December and it wasn't too bad...tendering over was no problem...

We went to stingray city first...then snorkeled at the Northwall...and also 7 mile beach...the only bad part is the lines to get a tender back...which is always bad when everyone shows at once to leave...but we had such a great day I just daydreamed in the line!!!

Here is a link to my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=273067

I wouldn't worry...4 ships is a heck of a lot better than 11!!!

Yeah I must agree... 4 ships is nothing compared to 11! I'm so sorry for those who have to deal with the crowds.... but just think you'll finally get a spot in the hot tub... lol maybe.

Thanks for the response guys... i think we'll try our luck with the four ships! :)

We're going in June. Since this is our first cruise we were looking forward to enjoying the sites. Per the website there are only 4 ships scheduled at this time. I would like to see the Stingrays and maybe Rum Point. Which tour operator offers this excursion and do they travel by boat to Rum Point?

Don't count on the website being accurate. We were just in GC for a week, and I think only one day was correct (I had the list, so I would know the times so we could schedule things).

Most days there were at least 5 ships in port. The day we left, there were 8. Traffic was a mess. There were so many of those tour buses that they clogged the streets.

However, if I were going to be there, I'd just make the best of it. Don't over schedule things because you might get tied up and be late.

We did Stingray City on Sunday. There aren't any ships in port that day, and we were the only boat at Stingray City. It was amazing!

If you like rum drinks...try the Cayman Colada. It's a Pina Colada with red syrup (not sure what exactly) at the bottom. It was really good!

GC is really an amazing place. Have a great time! :)

Archived