Oceania Culinary Discovery tours - any feedback?

Avabob

We are going on a Mediterranean cruise on Oceania (Riviera) this September and there are 3 culinary tours offered by the cruise line - in Tuscany, Nice and Marseilles. If you have done any of these, we would appreciate you sharing your experience with us. What did you think about the value that they presented? Or should we rather spend $700 in a Michelin star restaurant for a unique dining experience?

Thank you in advance.

We are going on a Mediterranean cruise on Oceania (Riviera) this September and there are 3 culinary tours offered by the cruise line - in Tuscany, Nice and Marseilles. If you have done any of these, we would appreciate you sharing your experience with us. What did you think about the value that they presented? Or should we rather spend $700 in a Michelin star restaurant for a unique dining experience?

Thank you in advance.

I cannot comment on the culinary experience as I have never done one but would love to..But $700 on a Michelin star restaurant,think carefully and do your homework,checking them out.From experience we have not always enjoyed them and found them expensive.One or two have been an experience and some very disappointing.

Going to the med,may I suggest you investigate restaurants run by families in places like Spain,Greece,France and Italy.They,to me,are the best dining experiences.Go local,small and out of the usual tourist areas.Fresh,local unfussy produce,cooked how grandma would do.Meet and chat with the family and learn.

Whatever you choose,enjoy.Would love to hear back from you in September.

We were in Italy last fall for two weeks with two other couple staying in Villas. Our first week was just outside of Florence in the Tuscany region. Personally I believe $700 is way to much unless you just want them to do everything, which is OK. I think if you do some research you could do even better and save big $$$. We are on the Riveria in Tahiti in Feb. and we are trying hard not to use the ship's excursions, it does take extra hours of research but in most cases it's well worth it.

Great idea- but booked full before we even got around to shore excursion choices in ports. If you are working on getting to the top restaurants in Europe, book the Michelin place now. I forget how everyone else in a certain traveling demographic has the same great idea!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I cannot comment on the culinary experience as I have never done one but would love to..But $700 on a Michelin star restaurant,think carefully and do your homework,checking them out.From experience we have not always enjoyed them and found them expensive.One or two have been an experience and some very disappointing.

Going to the med,may I suggest you investigate restaurants run by families in places like Spain,Greece,France and Italy.They,to me,are the best dining experiences.Go local,small and out of the usual tourist areas.Fresh,local unfussy produce,cooked how grandma would do.Meet and chat with the family and learn.

Whatever you choose,enjoy.Would love to hear back from you in September.

Plus 1 👍

Thank you in advance.

We did this type and knowing now what I know I'd go to the Michelin Star Restaurant and have a great meal. The tour just wasn't that good for us.

Rick

We were in Italy last fall for two weeks with two other couple staying in Villas. Our first week was just outside of Florence in the Tuscany region. Personally I believe $700 is way to much unless you just want them to do everything, which is OK. I think if you do some research you could do even better and save big $$$. We are on the Riveria in Tahiti in Feb. and we are trying hard not to use the ship's excursions, it does take extra hours of research but in most cases it's well worth it.

In Europe or Asia, I'm inclined to agree with your opinion of private touring, but in Tahiti you have to watch out as the cruise lines tend to book ALL of the providers well before the window for booking privately opens.

In short, be careful that you aren't saddled with someones sisters hairdressers nephew......ask for references first.

StanandJim,

I think that's great advice, thank you! Since we have not been in Tahiti I appreciate your insight. We are just kind of worn out with ships tours, especially the main line cruise ships. We really enjoy the river cruise ship tours in Europe compared to the bigger ships catering to the bigger markets, often times we just felt like it was a cattle call. We are just not sure at this moment to do, I think we are going to try and schedule our own day trips if we can figure out which are best for the Riviera in Feb.