Travel insurance for Aussies

Does anyone know of a travel insurance policy that has a pre existing medical condition waiver. American friends seem to be able to buy these but I can't find one here.

Any insurer is going to be want to assess their risk - you will need to apply and declare pre existing conditions. I cant see any insurer taking on cover and accepting non declared pre existing conditions

I've got some things that mean many insurers wont provide cover however I've found that InsureandGo willing to provide cover for pre existing conditions others wont touch. I've also been accepted for cover by my Credit Card Insurer (Westpac Premium Card cover), after declaring my pre existing conditions and paying a small fee, so will be using that on my next cruise

The biggest issue is the definition of pre existing! The insurers or mine if I have to make a claim. I would pay more to not have to worry about this. At a time of great stress after illness overseas, having to go through all the trauma of form filling and more and more questions, it would be great for the claim to be accepted for what it is, hospital and medical bills that must be paid.

I've also been accepted for cover by my Credit Card Insurer (Westpac Premium Card cover), after declaring my pre existing conditions and paying a small fee, so will be using that on my next cruise

The Westpac Premium Card changed underwriters on 1st October so it would pay to check the PDS to ensure it provides the same coverage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And do not rely on Complimentary Travel Insurance through your credit card to cover all your requirements and circumstances.

That is not always true. I rely on my Credit Card Travel insurance and have read the PDS thoroughly. I've also contacted the company providing the insurance and was told the conditions are exactly the same as the travel insurance policy they sell. so not all credit card insurances are equal.

For anyone using their credit card travel insurance I recommend you download or request a copy of the product disclosure statement and read it. Take particular note of age limits and pre-existing conditions.

We have claimed twice on our credit card insurance, underwritten by QBE. The first involved flying home mid cruise from Hong Kong on the unexpected death of a close relative. We did have to provide letters from doctors stating it was not pre-existing and it did involve much persistance on our part, but all was reimbursed eventually. It took about six months.

The second claim was also mid cruise from Adelaide, again after a death.

Air fares, accommodation and pro rata refund of remaining cruise days were reimbursed.

At the time the age limit was 84, but it has now been lowered to 80. Complementary credit card insurance is fine as long as you actually read the the policy and understand the conditions. Most complaints come from people who haven't.

Complementary credit card insurance is fine as long as you actually read the the policy and understand the conditions. Most complaints come from people who haven't.

We have found the credit card travel insurance suitable for us. I am going to rely on it for my up-coming cruise to Antarctica. I got a copy of the T & C from the bank, read it very carefully then phoned the underwriters to make sure I was covered and that I understood all the terms and conditions. I have one pre-existing condition (very mild asthma that has never needed emergency treatment). I will register this with the underwriter and pay $75 for them to consider the matter.

I haven't heard any complaints from people who tried to claim under the CC insurance, only comments from people who have not used it but believed that it couldn't be any good. :D