Guidebook Recommendation

pugmadkate

We are doing our very first cruise in June 2018, Round-trip out of Seattle. While we will be purchasing excursions, I'd also like to do some self-guided activities. Which guidebook have you found to be the most helpful?

Thank you!

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, but have you looked at the port web sites and Visitor Guides? They have information on local sights and activities and promote local vendors.

If you look back a pg or 2 in this forum you'll find a thread called Helpful Resources, which has links to the town web sites, and the visitor guides, Forest Service, etc

I read a couple of Alaska cruise guidebooks before taking our cruise last month (May 2017). You won't get any useful self-guided tour info in these books like you do in the Rick Steves books for Europe.

But I was very successful in finding self-guided walking tours and maps online for Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. I also found hiking info and trail maps.

Use the resources Mapleleaf suggested and you should find the same stuff that I did.

I'll just add that the National Park Service offers some interesting free walking tours in Skagway. The number of participants is limited, so if you are going in July or August, you might want to pre-book for a small fee. The tour topics vary and ours was about the Buffalo Soldiers (24th Infantry) who were stationed there after the Spanish American War. I never knew that!

Slightly off topic, but the best thing I took on my cruise was a National Geographic map of "Alaska's Inside Passage". (it also says "Destination touring map and guide" on the cover) It is an excellent map - of only the inside passage, lightweight but waterproof. Might be just me, but I really enjoy knowing where the ship is and what we are cruising by. Of course you can also use maps.me (very good) or other phone apps, but those won't give you the detail that this paper map offers.

As others have said, the internet is a great resource! We've done public transit, self-guided hikes, low-key days, whatever appeals, in the Alaska ports.

Your cruise goes to Sitka, is that correct? A FABULOUS port! :D

Is there anything you recommend we not miss in Sitka?

Is there anything you recommend we not miss in Sitka?

I'm not trying to be harsh, just helpful, with this reply.

I'm not someone who tells others what they "must not miss". Only you know what your likes and dislikes are. I see posters all the time saying "oh you HAVE to do a flightseeing or you haven't experienced Alaska" or similar, and there is no way on earth you could get me into one of those little planes. :) Yet, I still feel I have experienced Alaska :) I would hate to tell you "oh you HAVE to do this", even though it is something you don't care for (small boat, wild animals, hiking ....)

Do some research about things to do in Sitka, and then ask questions about each activity that appeals :) There are loads of helpful posters on this board, many of us have been to Alaska multiple times, who can help you make your choice(s).

Before our cruise I requested all the Alaska tour guide books from our local library that were relatively current. I browsed through them all, but the one I found most helpful and still wish I'd purchased was the "Alaska Cruise Handbook" mentioned above. Also regretted not purchasing a map of the Inside Passage - would have been so much more informative than what was shown on our room's TV. Websites for each of the ports were very helpful as well.