Escape or Dawn to Bermuda

cb2367

A friend and I are actively planning a cruise to Bermuda in the first week of May. With both the Dawn and the Escape making the trip around the same time, we're trying to decide on what ship to take. I've sailed on Escape last year, so I'm familiar with it.

I'm still waiting for my NCL representative to get back to be on details, but what I've found out so far is that we would be able to get either an aft or forward inside cabin (ID category) on the Escape. With the Dawn, we would be able to get a mid-ship inside cabin (IS category, I think) on the Dawn. There's about a $60 difference in price between the two.

Just looking for opinions that may help decide which one to go with.

Which departure port is easier/cheaper for you to get to?

What day does the ship arrive in Bermuda, Sundays might have a lot of things closed.

Do you want to travel with 4000 of your closest friends or about half that amount. '

Some things to consider between the two ships.

Off Dawn today. Had an amazing time. Loved that it was smaller, we could find our way around easily and the people onboard were friendly and fun. The shops in Dockyard were open when we docked on Sunday. There is a new, free, NCL ferry to St. George with no space availability issues for Dawn passengers. DS19 had a blast![emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A friend and I are actively planning a cruise to Bermuda in the first week of May. With both the Dawn and the Escape making the trip around the same time, we're trying to decide on what ship to take. I've sailed on Escape last year, so I'm familiar with it.

I'm still waiting for my NCL representative to get back to be on details, but what I've found out so far is that we would be able to get either an aft or forward inside cabin (ID category) on the Escape. With the Dawn, we would be able to get a mid-ship inside cabin (IS category, I think) on the Dawn. There's about a $60 difference in price between the two.

Just looking for opinions that may help decide which one to go with.

With 3 1/2 sea days, definitely the Escape. Lots more to do and a much nicer ship. We just got back from Bermuda on the Breakaway,,,, didn't even consider the Dawn after sailing on her last September.

I know that the Escape will potentially have 4,000 people on it, wheres the Dawn would have half that. I just learned that the Dawn was refurbished last year.

With the sea days, I figured the Escape would be the better choice.

As for the ports, I would have to fly to both but I could drive to NY from where I live in about six hours

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I would select the cruise ship that has the longer stay in Bermuda, and whose stay is all weekdays, the Escape.

SBtS

Yeah, I just looked up the itenerary for the Dawn. I didn't realize it was a Friday to Friday sailing and that they arrive at 1 in Bermuda. Guess I should have checked that first.

It's looking more like the Escape will be the better option, even if it means more passengers. Sunday to Sunday with an 8 am arrival in Bermuda seems like the better of the two choices.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

After sailing BREAKAWAY, I found I really enjoy the DAWN more than I thought. I personally would sail DAWN 92,250 GRT over the much larger ESCAPE 164,600 GRT. The 90,000-100,000 GRT ships seem to me to be the perfect balance and size for a cruise ship. For reference TITANIC was 48,000 GRT.

The service from the Concierge and Butler if you sail in suites is much more personal on the DAWN in my experience. The Haven is nice, just not really utilized to its potential and thus reducing the space for non-Haven guests. The DAWN has no Haven, but they do have a spa that I prefer over the BREAKAWAY class ships.

My vote goes to DAWN. Spend Sunday exploring the Dockyard and beaching. Monday in St. George, Tuesday in Hamilton. All is good when in Bermuda, my favorite destination.

Did I mention... you don't need to make reservations to see the nightly shows in the theater on DAWN. The DAWNs theater seems much nicer and larger on DAWN too.

Space ratio: higher the number, less crowded it feels aboard. ESCAPE 31.5, DAWN 32.8 both at full capacity. Dawn should feel a little less crowded.

Mark my words, you will have a good time either ship. I personally prefer and love the DAWN. No accounting for taste I guess.

Edited by NH Cruisers

I've sailed on the Dawn and the Escape, and enjoy both for different reasons—the Escape has many more amenities and things to do, while the Dawn has a more intimate feel, which I like.

But for me, the Escape wins, hands down, not just because it's a nicer ship, but because it's a far better itinerary:

• The cruise begins with a sail out of New York, one of the finest sailaways that NCL offers.
  • On the NYC-Bermuda itinerary, you get two sea days on your way down, and one on the way back—for me, this is much better than one on the way down and two on the way back. Once the ship leaves Bermuda, I can't shake the feeling that the cruise is coming to an end, so I enjoy having that second sea day at the beginning.
  • The Dawn arrives on Sunday, when everything is closed, and you can't really get to St. George (one of the best places on the island)
  • Harbour Nights is on a Wednesday, so you miss out on that with the Dawn—granted, I don't think Harbour Nights starts until late May or June, so this may not be a factor.

So, that's my take: Escape all the way!