New To NCL & Mediterranean

SarafinaPink

Hi all, my family of 4 (all adults) is looking into doing a Mediterranean cruise Spring 2018 and looking into NCL and MSC as our top choices. Our previous cruise experiences has been with Carnival, RC, and Princess. I have a few questions trying to decide between the two:

1. What is the onboard currency for Mediterranean cruises?

2. If we choose the Ultimate Drink Package (which only applies to 1st and 2nd guests) do the 3rd and 4th need to purchase as well?

3. We are looking at a family mini suite with balcony, but I can't seem to find many pictures of room setup for 4 passengers. I know it will be tight, but just would like to see the setup to see how easy it is to get around with the beds all out. Also these are only available near the elevators, so how is the noise?

4. How does NCL compare to MSC, Carnival, and RC? Our biggest concerns are food, service, and ease of booking excursions, dining, extras, etc...

5. We are looking at the Norwegian Epic with only 1 day at sea. Since there are so many port days, will the ship feel crowded?

Any other thoughts for a first time cruise to Mediterranean?

We are doing this same cruise in may. Have never cruised with NCL. Have always used RCCL and Princess. We have 3 people in our room and we were advised to get a family room not the mini suite. We were told the family room was just as big as the mini suite. Only difference was something with bathroom. Hope NCL proves itself!

Hi all, my family of 4 (all adults) is looking into doing a Mediterranean cruise Spring 2018 and looking into NCL and MSC as our top choices. Our previous cruise experiences has been with Carnival, RC, and Princess. I have a few questions trying to decide between the two:

1. What is the onboard currency for Mediterranean cruises?

2. If we choose the Ultimate Drink Package (which only applies to 1st and 2nd guests) do the 3rd and 4th need to purchase as well?

3. We are looking at a family mini suite with balcony, but I can't seem to find many pictures of room setup for 4 passengers. I know it will be tight, but just would like to see the setup to see how easy it is to get around with the beds all out. Also these are only available near the elevators, so how is the noise?

4. How does NCL compare to MSC, Carnival, and RC? Our biggest concerns are food, service, and ease of booking excursions, dining, extras, etc...

5. We are looking at the Norwegian Epic with only 1 day at sea. Since there are so many port days, will the ship feel crowded?

Any other thoughts for a first time cruise to Mediterranean?

The currency onboard is US Dollars. For the drink package only the 1st and 2nd guest have to get it. The third and fourth do not. We were right next to the elevators and never heard noise. The couch folds into a bed.

I have only cruised on NCL and RCCL and prefer NCL. The food is good and the service is great!

As for the ship being crowded, I never really experienced it as with the Mediterranean cruise you are basically always in a port and really just on the ship at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The currency onboard is US Dollars. For the drink package only the 1st and 2nd guest have to get it. The third and fourth do not. We were right next to the elevators and never heard noise. The couch folds into a bed.

I have only cruised on NCL and RCCL and prefer NCL. The food is good and the service is great!

As for the ship being crowded, I never really experienced it as with the Mediterranean cruise you are basically always in a port and really just on the ship at night.

Thank you for the pictures and info! Do you feel 4 adults would be comfortable in the mini suite or would it be tight?

We are doing this same cruise in may. Have never cruised with NCL. Have always used RCCL and Princess. We have 3 people in our room and we were advised to get a family room not the mini suite. We were told the family room was just as big as the mini suite. Only difference was something with bathroom. Hope NCL proves itself!

By family room, do you mean Family Balcony?

Here's the sizes the website gives for that:

• Occupancy Up to 4 guests
  • Total Approx. Size188-230 sq ft
  • Balcony Size37-79 sq ft

While the Mini Suite Shows the Following:

• Occupancy Up to 3-4 guests
  • Total Approx. Size241 sq ft
  • Balcony Size52 sq ft

I'm not seeing any other family room other than Haven 2 Bedroom Family Villa, which is outside our budge.

It would definitely be tight. Your only other option is a suite. The one thing to consider is that you are only in your cabin to sleep. So it may be okay

Thank you for the pictures and info! Do you feel 4 adults would be comfortable in the mini suite or would it be tight?

The minisuite bath and toilet area is a bit bigger. Remember, there is not a bathroom proper. A toilet stall on one side as you walk in. A shower or tub on the other.

Person 3 sleeps on the sofa. Person 4 sleeps on the Pullman.

Images.google.com "Norwegian Epic Pullman".

Find it strange that people say that the suite will be tight. When I was a teenager I would stay in an inside cabin with my brother and parents!!

The epic is a funky ship, a lot of people don't like her bathroom set up but that's the same on all cabins :)

Currency is dollars. Right about the 3rd:4th passengers.

The epic is pretty big it shouldn't feel crowded!

I have my first time NCL tips here along with a Norwegian epic gallery: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-ncl/

Hope that helps!

:-)

I would really just suggest getting two inside cabins. And if someone gets the UBP, everyone else has to get it

If you choose the UBP as one of the promos, everyone else in the cabin DOES NOT have to get it. That rule only applies if you purchase the UBP.

I have sailed MSC & NCL. Both are lots of fun. Atmosphere is a but different as MSC would have a majority of European on board. All the announcements are in English as some other languages.

On MSC currency is in Euros, I find MSC much better value. Drinks are half the price to what they are on NCL. The drinks cards are cheaper or you can purchase drink vouchers. I think if you book in the US and book a Fantastica cabin you get 12 vouchers each included. Vouchers can be shared amongst you to.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't want to share the shower with four adults. I just sailed NCL as a solo passenger, so no big deal that the sink, toilet and shower are incorporated in the room, but I wouldn't have felt comfortable showering or using the toilet with only a thin layer of frosted glass between you and everyone else. If you choose epic- get two rooms.

I know the NCL Dawn does NOT compare but.... having just done a midship mini suite for 3 adults....get 2 rooms! Our room is listed as 3/4 passengers with 2 people on the sofa bed.. that opens and sits on the floor! No storage/draws. This was lIsted as 283sq ft.

I think I would look at two rooms also. Four adults in any cabin would be tight and the bathroom set up for 4 would also be less than ideal. We cruised with 3 adults and opted for the 2 bedroom. I know you said it was out of your budget, but maybe compare the cost of two rooms as opposed to sharing the 2 bedroom. Of course then you run into who gets the master bedroom and the incredible master bath.

I have priced 2 separate rooms (ocean view) and it's a few hundred more and it's only inside rooms. I wouldn't mind doing two oceanview rooms, but I guess Epic doesn't have those? Two balconies are $1500 more and while we could swing that, it would mean our post cruise trip (wanted to spend a few days in Greece) may be on the chopping block.

The bathroom bit doesn't really bother me so much, going with my mom and 2 brothers and we could easily get ready in shifts, but the fact that most are saying it will be too tight is giving me pause. I have previously done a Carnival cruise with 3 other adults in an inside room and while it wasn't spacious, it was very doable and we all survived (4 females in our 20s, so you know that bathroom was busy!)

I feel like NCL would be a better match for my family, but MSC is looking like a much better value at this time.

Lots to think about!

I have sailed MSC & NCL. Both are lots of fun. Atmosphere is a but different as MSC would have a majority of European on board. All the announcements are in English as some other languages.

On MSC currency is in Euros, I find MSC much better value. Drinks are half the price to what they are on NCL. The drinks cards are cheaper or you can purchase drink vouchers. I think if you book in the US and book a Fantastica cabin you get 12 vouchers each included. Vouchers can be shared amongst you to.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Thank you Kerry! It's great to see someone who's done both to help us decide. It for sure looks like MSC will be more affordable (they have a family balcony that would be twice the space for us) that is the same price as the mini suite. Plus I did see that the drinks are crazy affordable!

How would you compare the food on both? Food is very important to my family and we don't want to eat bad, especially in Europe!

I have priced 2 separate rooms (ocean view) and it's a few hundred more and it's only inside rooms. I wouldn't mind doing two oceanview rooms, but I guess Epic doesn't have those? Two balconies are $1500 more and while we could swing that, it would mean our post cruise trip (wanted to spend a few days in Greece) may be on the chopping block.

The bathroom bit doesn't really bother me so much, going with my mom and 2 brothers and we could easily get ready in shifts, but the fact that most are saying it will be too tight is giving me pause. I have previously done a Carnival cruise with 3 other adults in an inside room and while it wasn't spacious, it was very doable and we all survived (4 females in our 20s, so you know that bathroom was busy!)

I feel like NCL would be a better match for my family, but MSC is looking like a much better value at this time.

Lots to think about!

If you've done 4 adults in an inside, I think your expectations are in line.

The other thing to look into is a spa pass. That would give you access to another shower for approx. $129 for the week. Also, assuming the new bidding scheme is still in play, you could try to upgrade to a suite. Or, think about waiting to book. I scored an amazing deal last year about 6 weeks out. Then upgraded to Haven.

For a mega ship, we didn't find it crowded at all. Maybe a bit on the one sea day, but I was always surprised at how uncrowded the ship felt. Note, we toured at ever port and never got back early.

ETA: shipboard currency is USD.

Thank you Kerry! It's great to see someone who's done both to help us decide. It for sure looks like MSC will be more affordable (they have a family balcony that would be twice the space for us) that is the same price as the mini suite. Plus I did see that the drinks are crazy affordable!

How would you compare the food on both? Food is very important to my family and we don't want to eat bad, especially in Europe!

I am in no was a fussy eater. We liked the food on both ships. On MSC the food is served European style, multiple smaller dishes. With a gap between each course for conversation, so the portions wouldn't be what you are used too. But you can order more than one entre if you like. If you are in a hurry just tell your waiter. The ship knows what time it's shows are on and you will finish before show starts.

Early dinner goes to late show & vice-versa. If you are on a budget I would pick MSC , you get more bang for your buck. Drink package is €26 euros a day compared to $70 a day on NCL. And you get coffee and ice-cream included. Why don't you pop over to MSC thread. Some one had posted drinks list the other day.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk