Cell phones on snorkeling trip?

moongal

We want to go snorkeling from the beach but am worried about what to do with my cell phone.

Do most people leave their cell phones on the ship? Do you bring them into port with you? What do you do with it while you swim?? I've always left mine on the ship because there was always one person in our group who had theirs so we all left ours (would just borrow the other persons) but this time it just husband and myself.

I have bought a special plastic enclosure to put my phone in that is supposed to be safe in the water, I have tested it even by putting paper towels in there and submerging it in the sink and the paper towels all came out dry, but I am still leery about how well it will hold up in actual salt water and prolonged actual swimming conditions.

Any advice? If some emergency arises while in port, is it hard to find a phone to use?

We will be in Cozumel (4day trip)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure what I do will make you feel better, but I am glad to share.

We have always done snorkel excursions, and mostly from a boat. In that instance, I bring my cell phone and leave it in my backpack. Someone from the excursion company will watch the bags, and I have never had an issue or felt like the situation was unsafe. I do normally check the bag when I get back, kind of an OCD thing. I also do put it in a water proof bag (like you use when hiking), but it isn't designed for being submersed, it is just to keep it dry from rain or splashing.

When we go to the beach, again I normally carry it. Again in full disclosure, we do day passes at resorts so: often there are lockers, there are normally a lot of employees milling around, and there are usually bags everywhere. I also only get in the water to cool down, so it is not unattended for long.

Are going on an organized excursion, or snorkeling on your own? Will it be at a resort or public beach?

I have seen the cases, but I don't think I would want to deal with the weight and bulkiness.

We have never had an issue leaving them with a guide - but we usually don't take them or if we do, only take 1. And then it goes into a waterproof pouch with the passports - which we always take ashore. I can find a phone somewhere....but I cant replace my passport!

DH has a waterproof camera so we don't need them for photos.

We leave our phones in the safe on the ship. We check them when we return.

If we're on some beach snorkeling on a tropical island is there really anything we can do about a call?

If we had a personal emergency- the tour guide or some person in a nearby business could call for help.

Maybe it sounds cold:) but my DH has health problems and it's difficult for us to get away for some fun on a cruise ,... so we tell our grown son who watches the house that we don't want to hear anything bad until we''re back in the US if there's nothing we can do about it. We'll hear any of that once we're in the car on the way home. (And Yes, if someone in our family died or was put in the hospital he'd call ,.... we're not that detached):)

Moongal, I don't know what waterproof enclosure you have, but a good enclosure will not leak. The Life and the Otter or very good waterproof cases. We are trusting people and if we are just going to take a dip for 10 minutes, we would ask a neighbor (fellow cruiser) to watch our stuff for a few minutes. We would and have done the same for others.

I've used a drypak for my iphone in the past & it worked great for keeping the phone dry. You can also take pics through it, but it will get hot in there & shut itself down eventually. That being said, I've also left my phone on the ship - just not crazy about the idea of leaving my iphone in my bag on a beach.

I'm too worried about my phone to leave it on the beach or use one of the waterproof enclosures. We always leave ours in the safe. I've considered bringing an old phone to use wifi at the beach, but have never actually done it. In the event of an emergency, stores, restaurants, hotels, etc have phones.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will just leave my phone in the safe. We are not going on an organized excursion. Just my hubby and I so I guess I'll just leave it. Guess I'm just so used to having it glued to my person 24/7 that I forgot there is life wo it!

We want to go snorkeling from the beach but am worried about what to do with my cell phone.

Do most people leave their cell phones on the ship? Do you bring them into port with you? What do you do with it while you swim?? I've always left mine on the ship because there was always one person in our group who had theirs so we all left ours (would just borrow the other persons) but this time it just husband and myself.

I have bought a special plastic enclosure to put my phone in that is supposed to be safe in the water, I have tested it even by putting paper towels in there and submerging it in the sink and the paper towels all came out dry, but I am still leery about how well it will hold up in actual salt water and prolonged actual swimming conditions.

Any advice? If some emergency arises while in port, is it hard to find a phone to use?

We will be in Cozumel (4day trip)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote

Your post got me thinking. I only use my iphone really now for a camera. But on okr cruise I'd want pics of the kids doing water/ beach stuff. Just checked Amazon and can get a waterproof/ underwater camera for under 100. will then bring a simple old prepaid phone with for emergencies ( we have sooo many at home collected over the years) with. Smartphone stays on board.

I've done five visits to Cozumel and we usually go to Chakanaab. I've always carried my phone (after all, it is my camera) and I've never felt the need to carry my phone into the water. Not even when both of us are snorkeling. We tuck them away, might be in my shorts pocket, might be in my backpack, might be under my towel and hat, might be in my snorkel bag and probably won't ever be the same place twice on the same day.

I've done five visits to Cozumel and we usually go to Chakanaab. I've always carried my phone (after all, it is my camera) and I've never felt the need to carry my phone into the water. Not even when both of us are snorkeling. We tuck them away, might be in my shorts pocket, might be in my backpack, might be under my towel and hat, might be in my snorkel bag and probably won't ever be the same place twice on the same day.

Chankannab has lockers so a phone can easily go there...