Cursing with No Kids?

scoochy12

We may be starting to paint with too broad a brush here. While there is one particular line known for its booze cruises' date=' it has been somewhat successful in reducing this image on its longer cruises. While the overall alcohol consumption seems less on DCL than the other lines we've cruised, we've seen a significant number of people who have over-indulged, some to the point of having security involved. I think we've seen more drinking on lines like Princess and Celebrity than on DCL, but I've never seen anyone so unruly that the authorities needed to be involved. That could reflect the age of the cruisers or the fact that I go to bed too early....

But the fact that it isn't DCL doesn't mean that it is a "party ship" or "booze cruise."[/quote']

I goto bed by 11 too so you could be right. The District could get crazy at night. But I was referring to the daytime when the kids are up. I think most of the parents are minding their manners then. I've never seen one outwardly drunk person on DCL. Maybe I'm not looking close enough. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I goto bed by 11 too so you could be right. The District could get crazy at night. But I was referring to the daytime when the kids are up. I think most of the parents are minding their manners then. I've never seen one outwardly drunk person on DCL. Maybe I'm not looking close enough. Haha

DCL has done a good job of instituting policies that reduce these issues. The "no cooler" policy was largely effective, the limit in bringing on your own alcohol also plays a part...and the fact that there is no "unlimited alcohol" package available is also a factor. We've seen a few drunks by the adult pool, but that was several years ago. We've also seen an incident of presumed abuse occurring in a cabin--woman screaming for help. Security removed the male from the cabin. I'm guessing alcohol was involved there. And we shared a serving team with a large table of "drunk and disorderlies." They were quite rude and obnoxious, but nothing rose to the level of security intervention. They appeared to arrive at the table having had plenty already, and each ordered several drinks during dinner. They were loud, mistreated the server, tried to trick the serving team by changing seats after they had given their orders, used vulgar language, etc. They were not a nice group to be around. Fortunately, we never noticed them except during dinner.

DCL has done a good job of instituting policies that reduce these issues. The "no cooler" policy was largely effective' date=' the limit in bringing on your own alcohol also plays a part...and the fact that there is no "unlimited alcohol" package available is also a factor. We've seen a few drunks by the adult pool, but that was several years ago. We've also seen an incident of presumed abuse occurring in a cabin--woman screaming for help. Security removed the male from the cabin. I'm guessing alcohol was involved there. And we shared a serving team with a large table of "drunk and disorderlies." They were quite rude and obnoxious, but nothing rose to the level of security intervention. They appeared to arrive at the table having had plenty already, and each ordered several drinks during dinner. They were loud, mistreated the server, tried to trick the serving team by changing seats after they had given their orders, used vulgar language, etc. They were not a nice group to be around. Fortunately, we never noticed them except during dinner.[/quote']

Ugh! That's terrible! Why do people do that? It serves no one. Especially their own reputations.

on our first disney cruise, a long long time ago, we had a few drunk and disorderlies..

we were at the dueling pianos show (or maybe one piano? can't remember, but it was really really good).

anyway, there were two VERY drunk couples in there heckling the performer like crazy...

but in a very drunk and embarrassing way.....actually, the men kept going up to the performer....it was embarrassing and sort of scary...

and what was really bad...they had these things that the kids clubs used to give out...

these light up vibrating devices...like you sometimes get at a restaurant...when it lights up your table is ready..

well the kids clubs used to give parents those (i don't know if they still do, but i kind of doubt it since there are newer technologies now)..

so both of these couples had these things in their hands flashing like crazy...

and they didn't leave...

it was at least a good half hour that they continued in there while they were clearly supposed to be somewhere else..

we kept thinking about the poor kids stuck in the kids clubs somewhere...with these very drunk parents..

i'm guessing the club was supposed to be closed as it was already midnight..

anyway....drunk and disorderlies for sure..

Memories....Dueling Pianos show was great! And no, parents no longer carry pagers of any sort....they carry a "Wave Phone," which my 26 year old defines as the lowest possible level of cell phone. It really is low end, and they charge you $250 (or maybe it is $200) if it is lost or damaged. Hint--whether you plan to use them or not, there are supposed to be 2 in your room on the desk. Be sure that you identify that they are there and report any damage to your host or GS desk so that you are not responsible for it at the end of the cruise.

Went on the Dream this last April and do have to say I was impressed with the 3 forward adult decks. Lovely relaxing areas with hot tubs; ample padded sun loungers, both in sun and shade; inexpensive drinks and nice sitting areas. No children and utterly relaxing connection to the sea. In my opinion this area is as good as, if not better, than NCL's Haven courtyard- sundeck and far exceeds Carnivals adult serenity area.

Our table mates were also lovely so all in all it was more pleasant than I expected. We love the Disney shows and new release movies but yes the night life on our cruise was a bit low key. There were activities during the day for adults such as mojito making-tasting and even some craft type activities that one couple dining with us enjoyed on sea day.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents in here. We cruised the Wonder in January and we don't have kids. We too (DW and I) are huge Disney fans and loved our cruise and the ships. The adult areas were comfortable and there were enough to have some diversity. We did a couple of the mixology classes and I would really recommend them, we did a mojito class, it ended up being just my SIL and I and we had a blast! The adult centered entertainment was some of the best I have seen across multiple lines and their private island, even for adults, is second to none.

I never once felt overwhelmed with kids, never saw any of the kids out of control and we loved the Disney magic that was all over the ship.

Having the movie theater on board was also fun as there are so many movies in Disneys catalog we caught up on a few we had missed.

We very much enjoyed rotational dining and had a blast in the dining rooms.

There are some drawbacks, biggest among them the horrific costs, but I didn't regret doing it, and if you're a Disney fan would highly, highly recommend it. If it weren't for the fact that I can take basically two princess cruises for one Disney I would have another DCL booked right this minute.

January is a great time to cruise...in part because all the kids on a traditional school schedule are back in their classrooms. There may be lots of pre-school kids on board but they are never a problem--they are either in programming or under supervision of an adult. It is a really slow time for tweens, who in my experience can be the problems. Glad you had a great cruise.

Another good point about January is that it is low season--better prices.

Every time I read this subject, it brings a smile to my face.

We must remember that cruise ships are small towns . With a compliment of anywhere from 2,600 to 4,000 passengers, you're bound to have a few that behave badly. Not every DCL cruiser is anointed with the Disney pixie dust and there are a lot of different personalities. I just read on the Disney Cruising facebook page of a report by somebody coming of the Fantasy Southern Caribbean of entitled guests and poorly behaved kids.

I don't think we will be taking another Disney cruise until our son turns 18 or go by ourselves. I know he would have enjoyed the quiet of the adult pools as well as the food in Remy and Palo. Unfortunately, we started cruising Disney when he was 11, and as he got older (we were never Disney people) he just wasn't as interested. We are going to do other lines, and other types of vacations, but we absolutely loved the adult parts of the Disney cruise and will be back either kidless or with an adult kid.

We've done DCL cruises (no kids) and other lines with no kids (Carnival, Royal and Celebrity - next on the docket is Princess). DCL is worth trying if you're comfortable with the price point - there are certainly some "only Disney" things you'll get to experience.

For us we've cruised 6 times on DCL (one was a b2b on the Dream). They were great cruises.

Our cruises on other lines have also been pretty great though. With the price point DCL is now charging, I'd rather cruise longer or more frequently on other lines than just enjoying the occasional cruise on DCL.

We've done DCL cruises (no kids) and other lines with no kids (Carnival, Royal and Celebrity - next on the docket is Princess). DCL is worth trying if you're comfortable with the price point - there are certainly some "only Disney" things you'll get to experience.

For us we've cruised 6 times on DCL (one was a b2b on the Dream). They were great cruises.

Our cruises on other lines have also been pretty great though. With the price point DCL is now charging, I'd rather cruise longer or more frequently on other lines than just enjoying the occasional cruise on DCL.

We like both Celebrity and Princess with no kids. True, there are things that DCL does better....but there are things that each of the other lines does better too. My biggest complaint about Princess is rather silly--everything seems to be a shade of brown or beige. And they have several types of ships, each with different features. Be sure to check out what is available on the ship you'll be cruising. For instance, I really like the International Cafe--not available on all ships.