Cigars

Yes if your cruise goes through Cuba.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This implies otherwise:

Under the provisions of 31 § C.F.R. 515.204 (d), individuals who are persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction are authorized to import into the United States as accompanied baggage merchandise subject to the prohibitions in § 515.204, including Cuban-origin goods, that is purchased or acquired in a third country, provided that the merchandise is imported for personal use only.

From your link,

Can I import or bring Cuban cigars into the U.S. for personal use?

As of October 17, 2016, the purchase or other acquisition in Cuba and importation as accompanied baggage into the United States of merchandise is authorized, provided that the merchandise is imported for personal use only. The importation of Cuban-origin information and informational materials is exempt from the prohibitions d

From your link,

Can I import or bring Cuban cigars into the U.S. for personal use?

As of October 17, 2016, the purchase or other acquisition in Cuba and importation as accompanied baggage into the United States of merchandise is authorized, provided that the merchandise is imported for personal use only. The importation of Cuban-origin information and informational materials is exempt from the prohibitions d

But also this:

Under the provisions of 31 § C.F.R. 515.204 (d), individuals who are persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction are authorized to import into the United States as accompanied baggage merchandise subject to the prohibitions in § 515.204, including Cuban-origin goods, that is purchased or acquired in a third country, provided that the merchandise is imported for personal use only.

Can you get Cuban cigars in Jamaica or Cozumel to bring back to US.

You can bring back 100 cigars of any kind into the US. There is a Casa De Habano in Falmouth, Jamaica and another in Cozumel. The one in Falmouth is extremely expensive compared to the one in Cozumel. The Cozumel CDH is also a cigar bar and restaurant on the second floor overlooking the downtown pier and the water. Sit on the balcony outside, order a Margarita, salsa and chips and enjoy a fine Montechristo #2 or a Bolivar Bellicoso. You are now in heaven. The CDH in Falmouth is simply a cigar shop.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can bring back 100 cigars of any kind into the US. There is a Casa De Habano in Falmouth, Jamaica and another in Cozumel. The one in Falmouth is extremely expensive compared to the one in Cozumel. The Cozumel CDH is also a cigar bar and restaurant on the second floor overlooking the downtown pier and the water. Sit on the balcony outside, order a Margarita, salsa and chips and enjoy a fine Montechristo #2 or a Bolivar Bellicoso. You are now in heaven. The CDH in Falmouth is simply a cigar shop.

Hobiecat01 finally got it right! and in Cozumel is where you want to get your Cubans - Casa De Habano is a VERY reputable place, and you can trust that their Cubans are Cubans.;p

Here is the most updated info from Cigar Aficionado magazine.

www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/the-new-rules-on-cuban-cigars-19054

I agree, if you don't know what to look for chances are they are fake.

I find Cuban cigars highly overrated, but that's just my opinion.

I have to agree also with James here. The Cuban Cigars are WAAAAAAAY overrated. I have hated myself for paying $25 for a cigar simply because it was "Cuban", and then while I'm smoking it, I'm thinking that my $13 Ashton Spellbound was LOTS better.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Other than in Cuba itself, I agree that the only place you can be sure to get authentic cuban-made cigars in the caribbean is in the official Cuban-government sanctioned La Casa del Habano stores. They are very expensive there and you will need to judge if they are worth it.

If you buy Cuban cigars in either Jamaica or Cozumel they are likely to be 99.9% fake.

Not if you purchase them from La Casa del Habano. They are the one and only authorized dealer for Cuban cigars and you can be assured that their cigars are genuine. In fact, they are owned by Habanos S.A., which is an arm of Cubatabaco, the Cuban state tobacco company.

Your statement is correct for any other cigar shop purporting to sell Cuban cigars.

FWIW, if you don't know what you are looking for, Cuban cigar wise, you might consider finding a Casa de Habano and sampling some. You'll get the authentic cigars and you might find you prefer on over the other. All Cubans are not the same. That being said, you might consider trying the Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure no 2.

Enjoy your cruise.

One way getting around the law is ask the store to take the wrappers off the cigars and just give them to you. You can glue them back when you are in the states. Just state they are Dominican.

I have been to the Falmouth and Cozumel stores (Casa de Habano) and found the Falmouth one to be about 20% increase in prices. BUT understand, the price on the store boxes are negotiable. I found that if I bought a box, I was given some freebies (mixture of other Cuban cigars).

Never buy a package of cigars from other stores or street vendors, they are not Cubans and dry as a bone.

I agree with Cigar King, the best cigar I tasted was the Hoyo de Monterrey that I got from the shop in Falmouth. They do have a lounge in Falmouth to smoke one there as well. I was given a nice glass of scotch as well to enjoy with the cigar.

Other than in Cuba itself, I agree that the only place you can be sure to get authentic cuban-made cigars in the caribbean is in the official Cuban-government sanctioned La Casa del Habano stores. They are very expensive there and you will need to judge if they are worth it.

Even in Cuba, if you're a tourist on a cruise, you'll be bringing back fakes. There is really no way to "guarantee" genuine Cuban cigars unless you have family there that works at the factory. Although, your chances are certainly better than Jamaica or Cozumel.

If you buy Cuban cigars in either Jamaica or Cozumel they are likely to be 99.9% fake.

this. there are plenty of legit online distributors (outside of the US) to by Cubans for cheaper than what you will pay for "tourist prices". don't waste your money on buying them in Jamaica or Coz.

One way getting around the law is ask the store to take the wrappers off the cigars and just give them to you. You can glue them back when you are in the states. Just state they are Dominican.

I have been to the Falmouth and Cozumel stores (Casa de Habano) and found the Falmouth one to be about 20% increase in prices. BUT understand, the price on the store boxes are negotiable. I found that if I bought a box, I was given some freebies (mixture of other Cuban cigars).

Never buy a package of cigars from other stores or street vendors, they are not Cubans and dry as a bone.

I agree with Cigar King, the best cigar I tasted was the Hoyo de Monterrey that I got from the shop in Falmouth. They do have a lounge in Falmouth to smoke one there as well. I was given a nice glass of scotch as well to enjoy with the cigar.

Get around what law? It's legal to bring Cuban cigars into the U. S.

Get around what law? It's legal to bring Cuban cigars into the U. S.

I was thinking the same thing.

There are a couple of shops in Vancouver, BC, Canada that will ship them to you. But it takes some effort to find them.

I was talking more in bulk (over 100 cigars).

Question, has anyone gone to Havana Bob's in Cozumel. I heard that he is cheaper than Casa de Habano and that he also sell's his own brands of Cuban's. It looks like on Google earth that each shop is about a block away.

I heard somewhere that Havana Bob has his own brand of cigars, some are "like" Cuban's, wasn't sure if he was getting them from a distributor in Cuba. He says on his website that he sells Cubans, was wondering if maybe they were better priced than Casa de Habano.

I heard somewhere that Havana Bob has his own brand of cigars, some are "like" Cuban's, wasn't sure if he was getting them from a distributor in Cuba. He says on his website that he sells Cubans, was wondering if maybe they were better priced than Casa de Habano.

He might have his own brand, but, they would not be Cubans.

Habanos is usually pretty pricey, so my guess is Bob's would have to be cheaper. That being said, if you are not familiar with Cubans it would be easy to buy a fake and not know. I think this is less of a problem in the Habanos store.

Enjoy.