Emerald Princess

Scott531

I wish I could, but there wasn't much we actually did lol! Just relaxed and ate a lot of food. We loved doing trivia and every host was great. I'm not a fan of karaoke, but people who did go said it was a good time. The balloon drop was a bit cheesy but it was fun. There was a Dixieland Band the first night that my husband and I both enjoyed but we never saw them in the Patter again. I don't know if they were in one of the clubs because we didn't visit them besides for trivia.

Can you recommend any shore excursions?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What did you think of the meals/menu in the dinning room on the formal nights?

I have no complaints about the meals really, formal night or not. We were in Club Class, so we did have an entrée every night that wasn't available in the MDRs. I occasionally ordered that. I remember a Steak Diane - that was my favorite. That was available on the first formal night. On the last formal night, I ordered the surf and turf that was also good. I really enjoyed the desserts. I loved the chocolate soufflé, baked Alaska, Chocolate Pistachio Dome, and tiramisu. I was slightly disappointed in the crème brulee. The top was too thin and in some places not solid and that's my favorite part. I honestly cannot remember what else I had, must not have been memorable. And I really wish I had taken pictures of everything (menus and food). Next time.

This trip, I tried a few new things. I liked some, I learned I do not like snails. ;p

Can you recommend any shore excursions?

Ketchikan - We did the Lumberjack Show. We had a great time! It was very entertaining and quite competitive. We would possibly do it again if we go back. And it's short enough that you have time to wander Ketchikan. It's a beautiful town. Our head waiter suggested going to Creek Street so we did. It was a nice little area that not many tourists ventured out to. It was a ways away, but it was worth the walk.

Juneau - We did the Glacier View Kayaking. I was nervous that I would hate this, but it was possibly my favorite excursion. It is a very distant view of the glacier, but it's so peaceful. We even saw a seal in the water. I kind of wish we would've seen a whale or something, but then I would have been scared thinking of what else was under our kayaks! Our guide was great, and I appreciated that they split us into two groups - kayakers and non-kayakers. We had never kayaked before and our guide took his time with us and educated us a lot about the area and kayaking.

Skagway - White Pass Railroad. I am glad we did this, but I will never do it again. It was very expensive, and very long. The first and last half hour you don't see much. It is breathtakingly beautiful when you get further up. And there are two points when you can see the port and the cruise ships, from far away. That was neat. The narrator was good and knowledgeable. I was just beyond tired by then and sitting on a train for a few hours was not comfortable.

Victoria - We went to Butchart Gardens. I was really looking forward to this, and it is very beautiful, but it didn't wow me. What did wow me was Victoria in general. We only saw it from the bus to and from the Gardens, but what we saw was just lovely. It is an amazing city. It is rich in beauty and culture. I have seriously started looking into moving out there some day. I at least want to go back there for a longer vacation.

Seattle - We did the Space Needle/Pike Place Market bus tour. This was just okay. The Space Needle did not impress me too much. It did give us beautiful views of the city and it was a clear day so we could see Mount Rainier. The locals were so excited about that because you can't usually see it. But I never need to visit the Space Needle again. Pike Place Market was crazy the day we were there. I was hoping since we were there on a Sunday it wouldn't be busy, but boy was I wrong! It was a madhouse. And I hadn't really researched it much so I didn't know what to expect. The only thing my daughter wanted to do in Seattle was go to the original Starbuck's, so we were sure to do that. Along with everyone else in Seattle ;) I wish I would've researched restaurants because I could not find anywhere my family would eat in the short time we were there, and we were hungry. The bus driver was very knowledgeable, I should have asked her but I didn't think of it until after she left.

Not the original poster, but I was also on this cruise. We did not cruise into Tracy Arm Fjord due to too much ice in the water. We sailed Endicott Arm and saw Dawes Glacier. I've never been to Tracy Arm before, but from pictures it looked very similar to Endicott. Very beautiful!

The Grand also went to Endicott on Friday. We didn't get very close to the glacier due to too much ice, and more importantly, many dozens of seal lions sunning themselves on the ice flows. The captain explained that they were not allowed to disturb the wildlife, and this included the sea lions. Here is the closest we got. There are at least 50 sea lions in front of us.

Glacier.JPG

sea%20lioins.JPG

Sea%20lions.JPG

Edited by SantaFeFan

Thank you for answering my question in such detail. My husband and I feel the same way about scenic train rides-lol. We're going to the Space Needle and Pike's Market( how can you not-lol)but I will adjust my expectations. We're going from that tour to the airport, so we'll grab a bite there. Very helpful [emoji4]

Thank you for answering my question in such detail. My husband and I feel the same way about scenic train rides-lol. We're going to the Space Needle and Pike's Market( how can you not-lol)but I will adjust my expectations. We're going from that tour to the airport, so we'll grab a bite there. Very helpful [emoji4]

I'm happy to help! I wish I would've asked more questions before our cruise. Unfortunately my husband and I don't feel the same way about scenic train rides, or trains in general. He loved the excursion lol!

Make sure to grab a snack though at Pike's Market. They had some really good, freshly made donuts that we ended getting!

The Grand also went to Endicott on Friday. We didn't get very close to the glacier due to too much ice, and more importantly, many dozens of seal lions sunning themselves on the ice flows. The captain explained that they were not allowed to disturb the wildlife, and this included the sea lions. Here is the closest we got. There are at least 50 sea lions in front of us.

That is amazing! We saw one little sausage on an iceberg there, but that was it. It looks like you had a gorgeous day!

I wish I could, but there wasn't much we actually did lol! Just relaxed and ate a lot of food. We loved doing trivia and every host was great. I'm not a fan of karaoke, but people who did go said it was a good time. The balloon drop was a bit cheesy but it was fun. There was a Dixieland Band the first night that my husband and I both enjoyed but we never saw them in the Patter again. I don't know if they were in one of the clubs because we didn't visit them besides for trivia.

This is all awesome information, I'll check out the trivia and I've never done a balloon drop lol!! I find that on the first night I'm always highlighting and circling things in the Patter for the first sea day and then we never end up doing any of them and end up just relaxing and wandering and eating eating eating too lol! I guess it's that's whole not being on a schedule scheudle lol 😊

I'm happy to help! I wish I would've asked more questions before our cruise. Unfortunately my husband and I don't feel the same way about scenic train rides, or trains in general. He loved the excursion lol!

Make sure to grab a snack though at Pike's Market. They had some really good, freshly made donuts that we ended getting!

Sounds yummy- love donuts.

• 4 weeks later...
I see my itinerary next for my AUG 2018 cruise that we get into Victoria around 7pm. Is that too late to enjoy the sites?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

no it is not. I was there a few weeks ago and the sun does not go down until 9 -10. Aug would be between 8-9. The city lights up at night including the gardens

I see my itinerary next for my AUG 2018 cruise that we get into Victoria around 7pm. Is that too late to enjoy the sites?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The sun will set around 8:45pm in early August and more like 8:20pm in later August, so you should get some good day light.

Early September the sunsets around 7:45PM. I hear Victoria has good restaurants and bars. My grown kids are planning to walk around town. DH and I are going on a Princess tour so Victoria's sights accommodate the ships' passengers . They represent money lol.

If your kids want they can walk to downtown. It's about 15 min brisk walk. There is a shuttle service at the port which cost $10 for round trip. And a nice way to see the city is by booking a horse drawn carriage tour. Princess offers those

If your kids want they can walk to downtown. It's about 15 min brisk walk. There is a shuttle service at the port which cost $10 for round trip. And a nice way to see the city is by booking a horse drawn carriage tour. Princess offers those

Do you remember what time the late dining was at on your sailing?

According to the Patters here are dining times

Michaelangelo Deck 5 Anytime Dining: 5:15-9:30

Da Vinci Deck 6: Traditional 5:15-7:30

Anytime: 7:30-9:30

Botticelli Deck 6 aft: 1st seating 5:30

2nd seating 7:45

ClubClass: Deck 6 Part of Da Vinci is blocked for this5:15-9:30

The night we are in Victoria the whole ship has anytime dining. Normally, we'll have traditional late seating which I think is 8:15. We're on the Emerald Princess in September.

That's a good decision. My kids may book Share before going into town. We have to eat early because of our excursion.

Ya we are local, and we were just on the Island (near Victoria) last weekend so figured it was a good choice since we aren't booking and excursion that night and gonna eat and just get off lesuirly and walk around after

Ya we are local, and we were just on the Island (near Victoria) last weekend so figured it was a good choice since we aren't booking and excursion that night and gonna eat and just get off lesuirly and walk around after

I think my kids have the same plan, but we're from NY lol. They're in their thirties and they want to visit the microbreweries in Victoria. Since you're local, do you have any suggestions?

I think my kids have the same plan, but we're from NY lol. They're in their thirties and they want to visit the microbreweries in Victoria. Since you're local, do you have any suggestions?

Microbreweries:

Phillips

Hoyne

Drifwood

Lighthouse

Van isle brewery

Brew Pubs:

Moon Under Water

Canoe Club

Swans

Spinnakers