call me stupid but...

holidayathesea

Call me stupid but we're all first time cruisers and don't know what or how to pack! After our week in the Caribbean we are spending a week at Disney and really need to have summer clothes and fall clothes packed...any tips on how we can do this in as few pieces of luggage as possible?

Does anyone have a list of what you normally pack? I have to begin packing this weekend, I don't want to let it go until the night before!!

holidayatsea:........................Ok, but you asked for it, "STUPID"...............;)

http://cruises.about.com/cs/cruiseplanning/a/packinglist.htm

The above link will give you way, way more info on packing then you will probably need but it is a starting place.

Over packing is a rite of passage for all first time cruisers. Just the other day I wrote saying our first cruise was 7 days our next 14. I bet we will have fewer things for the two weeks. No one wants to do laundry while on vacation but it beats dragging a ton of things around with you.

Do a search for a weather site and get an idea of the forcasts for your trip. Many sites give 10 day forecasts as well as monthly averages, etc.

Princess ships have self service washers and dryers as well as irons and boards so you can do a load or two. Good luck and remember the cruising adage, "Lay out all your packing and count your money, now, put half the clothes back and take twice the money."

We are leaving for Disneyland this Sunday, I hope we all have good weather and a great time, I'm sure you will, enjoy the cruise.

holidayatsea:........................Ok, but you asked for it, "STUPID"...............;)

http://cruises.about.com/cs/cruiseplanning/a/packinglist.htm

The above link will give you way, way more info on packing then you will probably need but it is a starting place.

I checked out this link, and if you took all this stuff, there would be no place for clothes.....:D

holidayathesea,

You really are packing for two different vacations. Being first time cruisers, I do not envy your dilema.

I did not see where you were from, are you driving and leaving a car at the port, where you could leave extra luggage? If you are flying, let me just say that you will be pushing the 50 pound bag limit most airlines now have.

My suggestion would be, try to fit all your formal wear in one bag, less shoes. This may sound tacky, but you can wear the same suit/dress twice in one week. Formal wear is a argument all in itself, but for this post, lets plan on you taking one formal wear per person. Plan shoes according to your formal dress. I have a great pair of burgandy dress shoes that go great with a dark navy suit, or dockers. This way I can take one pair of dress shoes for all 7 nights. My wife sometimes does take 2 pairs of dress shoes however, I understand its harder for women. My rule is 3 pairs of shoes per person, 1 tennis shoe that we wear on the plane, 1 sandle, 1 dress shoe. (1 water shoe depending on the itinerary)

We have a large rolling duffle bag that we fill with shoes.

So, formal wear and shoes = 2 bags. You will need two swimsuits, three collared shirts, 4 t-shirts, 3 shorts, 2 pair pants (dockers) and 3 long pants (jeans or dockers) for disney per person for the rest of the trip and one near empty large suitcase. Also, keep at least 1 if not 2 sweatshirts or coats handy as Florida can be fairly cold at that time of the year. At every port and on the boat you can pick up t-shirts or golf shirts as necessary. We are new to Princess, but on RCI, we have always sent our clothes to the laundry mid week. I don't like doing laundry on vacation, but we will if its available.

Just remember, you don't need to bring a outfit for each night of the cruise. It is not a cruising sin to wear something twice, unless your bottom lip goes numb and you dribble a lot. I'm not sure what it costs to have clothes laundered on Princess, but we normally spend $50 - $100 on RCI having clothes cleaned and pressed and its worth it. Buy shirts as souveniers, wear them proudly to dinner.

Mark

Only two rules. You pack too much no matter what you pack. And your wallet can't ever be full enough.!!

Wow wifey only three pair of shoes my god my wife has three pair of black shoes. I think she works on a 6 pair limit and plus sandals of course. lol :)

On my first few cruises, I used to bring three suitcases (one for just shoes!!)... but I quickly learned that I don't need all that!

I still prefer to have too much, as opposed to too little... but one of the things I've learned is that I don't need a completely different outfit for every night of the cruise.

I bring two dresses for formal night, and than two pairs of pants (a black pair and a white pair) and I'll re-wear the pants.

DALSAL, Florida/Caribbean are definately different in December.

Orlandos average high/low for December is 73/53, whereas St. Thomas is 86/73. That 20 degree difference in lows will matter a ton. You will have to have to be prepared for cold weather in Florida, it does freeze from time to time down there. On the other hand, you could get lucky and have it in the 80's all week in Florida. If you can tell what its going to be 2 weeks before you get there, I can get you a job as weatherman on our local tv station.

Mark

Excuse me! I thought I was the ONLY one cold if the temp falls under 75 ! My family feels that Fla and Houston are about the same. I would need sweaters/sweatshirts,and jackets either place,but doubt they would.I layer everywhere I go so that Im always prepared.Dot

Okay, here's what I do...I'm an organizational junkie, so I make lists, lists, and more lists! I start by making a list of each day of the trip, and writing down what I'm going to be wearing/doing on each day.

Example:

Day 2 – Embarkation

Day: Denim Skirt, Black v-neck/back shirt, black rhinestone sandals

Dinner: Khaki Cuffed Capris, Black flutter-sleeve/cowl-neck top, Seychelles mules

Day 3 – Half Moon Cay/Beach Day

Day: Swimsuit, Khaki shorts, flip-flops, black lace Venezia tank top

Night: turquoise capris, black/turquoise gypsy shirt, black Seychelles mules

After that list, I decide which luggage I'm going to take and break down my packing list by piece of luggage. Here is my list for my next cruise...modify it as you need, but hopefully it will give you a start. Good luck and have fun!

Backpack:

Toiletry bag (large Ziploc):

- eyeglass cleaner

- motion sickness meds

- Advil

- prescription medications

- toothbrush/toothpaste

- razors

- band-aids

- q-tips/cotton balls

- deodorant

- hair scrunchies

- eye makeup remover

- body wash

- moisturizer

- toner

- travel-size hairspray

Folder with confirmations

Hair brush

Cruise Critic beach safe

Victoria’s Secret Pretty in Pink body spray

Jewelry in green case

Digital camera, batteries, memory card, chargers, etc

Baseball Cap

Waterproof cameras

Cell phone charger

Makeup bag

Purse:

Sunglasses

Glasses/case

Gum/mints/Listerine spray

Luggage tags from HAL

Cruise tickets

Passport, license, money, credit cards, wallet, etc.

Chapstick

Keys

Cell phone

Suitcase:

Clothes Listed Above

3 pairs pajamas (leopard print & cat shirt, butterfly set, and ducky pants/t-shirt)

10 pairs underwear

5 pairs socks

Bras that correspond to clothing

2 swimsuits

sunscreen

aloe gel

detangler

curling iron

Power strip or extension cord

alarm clock

shoes: Nike Shox, rhinestone sandals, Old Navy flip-flops, black strappy sandals, black Seychelles mules, white sandals

Country Apple Body Lotion

Duffle bag for drinks (gray & orange one)

Beach towel

Black Trash bag for dirty clothes

Extra white trash bag for wet clothes

Shopping List:

Non-Drowsy Dramamine

Travel Size Advil

Travel Size Body Wash

Chewing Gum/Listerine spray

Battery for watch

Waterproof Cameras (2)

Top to wear with Dillard’s capris (white?)

Hippie skirt & matching top

Tank top to wear with khaki shorts over swimsuit (St. Thomas)

Swimsuit

Need to bring cash for:

$36 roundtrip shuttle (tip included)

$2 tip for cruise terminal porters

$10 tip for HMC cabana attendant

$25 for Sunny Liston tour

$70 for New Horizons boat tour

$50 for whatever at Freeport

$5 for taxi back to FLL airport

$20 misc. tip money

$100 misc. spending money

----

$308 in cash - take out $350 from ATM prior to leaving

Believe it or not...It DOES occasionally get pretty cold in Orlando. Right now, as a matter of fact the temp is 43F outside right now as I type. (BRRRRRRRRR). The good thing is, it generally will warm up to about 60-70F by about noon, and our cold snaps usually dissipate rather rapidly.

DH and I are both Native Floridian's. When the thermometer dips below 50 degrees Fahrenheit we reach for our parkas.

However, realistically if you are theme parking it in Florida, you should never need more than a warm fleece (maybe with a hood) over a t-shirt and some jeans and sneakers. If you don't want to pack the bulky fleece shirts for your family, you can find an Old Navy or Target when you get here (there are several near the Disney vicinity) and pick one up for about $15 a piece. They sell them at Disney, but EEEEEEEEK!!!! they are SO expensive!

Also, in my experience, the moment it gets below 60F, every restaurant and store turns the heat on. The moment you walk indoors you feel as though you want to strip down to your skivvies it is so uncomfortably warm.

:D

First of all, the ladies need to ignore the guys when it comes to shoes!!!!! Take lots! I don't know where you live but the Mouses house is right down the street and, jeepers, it's COLD here right now. Seriously, you will get by comfortably with shorts, tees, jeans or Dockers, for both the ship and the park. One formal outfit and several swimsuits. When you arrive in Orlando, stop by a post office and ship some extra stuff (and cruise "had to haves") home. Then you can buy more!! Have a great time and don't forget the ":D Moola"

cabana - sandals, sneakers (in various colors), strappy evening wear, flip flops, etc do not count as shoes...in other words as I tell my DH who cringes everytime we pack and I have too many to count pairs of what he calls shoes, he is wrong I actually have only one pair as the others are known as something different! LOL :D

Back to the orginal question...if you are staying in a hotel after your cruise you can call and ask if you could ship a box (with the fall clothes) and have it held until after your cruise. Perhaps they will also have another workable solution for you.

Enjoy your great vacation!

My wife has transformed me into a roller. It does work well, take up less space, and saves on creases and wrinkles.

The best $$ we ever spent was for a rolling garment bag! The suits, shirts, formal dresses all get packed in there. Folded over once, grab the handle and roll her away. We got it here in town at the Samsonite outlet and it was like 50 or 60% off. They're quite expensive if they're not on sale, but I would recommend keeping an eye out for a sale and picking one up. They're great! (Now I feel like Tony the Tiger)

Oh, and I almost forgot... "You're stupid!"

In the past I was a folder.....then I began laying the clothes flat (let's start with a pair of slacks) letting the legs extend out of the suitcase on one side, and the waist of the slacks out of the other side, (are you with me?) Then, just begin laying items flat with the ends out on the sides and the top and bottom of suitcase. After a few layers you fold over the items that are extended, continuing until all your items are packed. It sounds strange but, really saves on wrinkles and space. I find rolling takes up more space than placing things flat. We always take a duffle bag for shoes and odd items. I plan my outfits around black....slacks...skirts...I'm a big fan of Chico's travel clothes...I can mix and match so many things without taking a lot. I only take one pair of dress shoes, comfortable, black heels, these go with all my evening outfits. My DH takes a tux and a dinner jacket. I use only travel size cosmetics, it is easy to overdo on things you won't use. We end up with one suitcase apiece plus our duffle bag. One carry on with our meds, jewerly, papers, tickets, etc....Hope this helps...Sandy

DH and I are both Native Floridian's. When the thermometer dips below 50 degrees Fahrenheit we reach for our parkas.

Also, in my experience, the moment it gets below 60F, every restaurant and store turns the heat on.

:D

This made me howl!! Here in Maine, once the temps hit 50 degrees, we all reach for our T's and shorts.

:)

PACKING LIST

CLOTHES

for both = At least 2 bathing suits

For Nick

1 Sport coat

2 dress shirts

2 ties (one if it will go with both shirts)

1 pair Black pants

1 pair black shoes

2 pairs black socks

1 pair khakis

3 golf shirts

4 t-shirts

1 pair Dockers

2 - 3 pair shorts

1 pair PJs

1 pair gym shoes

2 pair sandals (one nice and one flipflops)

8 pair boxers

5 pair white socks

Hat/visor

For DW

2 formal gowns

2-3 pair shorts

3-4 t-shirts

1 pair gym shoes

2 pair sandals (one walking pair and one slop pair)

1 sweatshirt

1 pair PJs

2 pair pants

1 pair khakis

2 pairs dress shoes

2 nice shirts

4 pair white socks

Undergarments

OBJECTS

Docs/passports/Ids

3 copies of each to keep in various suit cases

Travel alarm clock

Power strip

Over the door plastic hooks

Clothes pins (drying things on balcony, weigh bottom of shower curtain)

Big zip lock bags (to pack in and take food/things ashore with you)

Highlighter (mark things on the Patter you want to do)

Camera and battery charger

Water proof cameras

Backpack/duffel bag for port days (can be carryon)

1 cell phone/charger

Cruise binder

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$/travelers checks

Corkscrew (in checked luggage)

2 decks of cards

Sunscreen

Meds (pill case/Dramamine/zantac/advil/xanex/etc…)

BP Coffee cup

Basic travel toiletries (makeup remover/moisturizer/cotton balls/tooth/contact lenses/brush/shampoo/shaving things/tweezers/travel antibacterial soap/hair ties/Q-tips/deoderant/chapstick/gum/aloe gel/ lotion, etc…)

Pre-paid phone card

2 garbage bags for dirty clothes

Book or 2

Sunglasses

Purse

2 bottles of water

Jewelry

Bubble wrap

IPOD/charger

Handheld steamer

POSSIBLE

Collapsible cooler (for shore excursions)

Over the door shoe hanger

Get carry-on soda/wine at stores by dock

Night light

Extension Cord

Old laptop

PACKING LIST

CLOTHES

for both = At least 2 bathing suits

For Nick

1 Sport coat

2 dress shirts

2 ties (one if it will go with both shirts)

1 pair Black pants

1 pair black shoes

2 pairs black socks

1 pair khakis

3 golf shirts

4 t-shirts

1 pair Dockers

2 - 3 pair shorts

1 pair PJs

1 pair gym shoes

2 pair sandals (one nice and one flipflops)

8 pair boxers

5 pair white socks

Hat/visor

For DW

2 formal gowns

2-3 pair shorts

3-4 t-shirts

1 pair gym shoes

2 pair sandals (one walking pair and one slop pair)

1 sweatshirt

1 pair PJs

2 pair pants

1 pair khakis

2 pairs dress shoes

2 nice shirts

4 pair white socks

Undergarments

OBJECTS

Docs/passports/Ids

3 copies of each to keep in various suit cases

Travel alarm clock

Power strip

Over the door plastic hooks

Clothes pins (drying things on balcony, weigh bottom of shower curtain)

Big zip lock bags (to pack in and take food/things ashore with you)

Highlighter (mark things on the Patter you want to do)

Camera and battery charger

Water proof cameras

Backpack/duffel bag for port days (can be carryon)

1 cell phone/charger

Cruise binder

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$/travelers checks

Corkscrew (in checked luggage)

2 decks of cards

Sunscreen

Meds (pill case/Dramamine/zantac/advil/xanex/etc…)

BP Coffee cup

Basic travel toiletries (makeup remover/moisturizer/cotton balls/tooth/contact lenses/brush/shampoo/shaving things/tweezers/travel antibacterial soap/hair ties/Q-tips/deoderant/chapstick/gum/aloe gel/ lotion, etc…)

Pre-paid phone card

2 garbage bags for dirty clothes

Book or 2

Sunglasses

Purse

2 bottles of water

Jewelry

Bubble wrap

IPOD/charger

Handheld steamer

POSSIBLE

Collapsible cooler (for shore excursions)

Over the door shoe hanger

Get carry-on soda/wine at stores by dock

Night light

Extension Cord

Old laptop

BlacThorn, since it's hard to tell exactly what you'll be wearing and when, etc. by your list, I really do recommend breaking it down by day (just for your personal use). That way, you and DW know if you are missing anything or can re-wear something or can leave something out. For example, if you're going to be gone 8 days total (yes, include travel days), start out like this:

Day 1: travel to FLL

Green polo shirt, khaki pants, tan socks, loafers, underwear (haha)

Day 2: Cruise embarkation

Daytime: Blue polo shirt, khaki shorts, sandals, underwear

Dinner: Same shirt as daytime, khaki pants, tan socks, loafers

You get the drift....of course, don't forget to think about dry clothes if you'll be wearing clothes to the beach that will get wet and/or sandy. You'll want to come back to the ship and put on clean clothes, presumably. Hope this helps a bit...

Archived