Pearl Alaska - Ketchikan - What did you do?

wintercolor

We did a tour, but after the tour we were dropped off near Creek Street and walked around. There's a free (as of 2016, anyway) bus that has regular bus stops. The driver even stopped at the Totem Pole museum long enough for us to get out for photos. Locals take the bus, too. It stops at a couple of the cruise docks.

We did the Wildlife Tour and Crabfeast excursion before being dropped off near Creek Street. It was interesting. I have a full blog about it (in my signature). I know I was on RCL, but the excursions are pretty much the same. I was looking for info on our NCL cruise next summer but always love to chat Alaska!!

I hope you have a great time!

we took the public bus out to Totem Bight Park.

we also booked a Seaplane to Misty Fjords thru Alaskan Sea Plane Tours. We didnt get to go due to weather, but their customer service was excellent. We booked them again for this September.

• 4 weeks later...

We walked up to the Rainbird Trail, about 20 minutes from the harbor. It's a beautiful hike in the forest near the public library. We could see the cruise ships down below, but did not encounter any humans during our hike. It was very refreshing and my kids loved it. Take rain ponchos!

We did the Lumberjack show and the Rainforest Tour. The kids really liked the lumberjacks.

One thing...if you go in late August, the town REEKS. The bears have come through and left fish parts to rot everywhere in the little river. Quite an unwelcome part of our first shore day.

We were there last August with 8 grandchildren (and their parents) and this is an easy port to DIY. We took the city bus to Totem Bight State Park and then walked nextdoor to see the clan houses. I think that park is called Potlach State Park. Both are free and your boys will love it. Our 11 year old studied clan houses this year and their textbook had pictures of this park.

If there are a lot of people waiting for the bus' date=' go up to the city library and catch it at the bus stop before the cruise ship stop.

When we got back we walked along Creek Street.

One of our favorite days.[/quote']

We did this as well. Nice, easy (cheap) way to see the totem poles. Another time we took the duck tour. It was ok

We did the Lumberjack show and the Rainforest Tour. The kids really liked the lumberjacks.

One thing...if you go in late August, the town REEKS. The bears have come through and left fish parts to rot everywhere in the little river. Quite an unwelcome part of our first shore day.

The salmon come back to spawn. They swim up creek and after ,they die and riverbanks are covered with dead salmon. Quite a sight. (and smell). It is weird to see huge, sparkly salmon fish statue and dead fish all around. :rolleyes: