HELP!! Never Cruised Norwegian Before

MsJersey84

Hello Everyone,

My DH and I are trying to plan our next cruise we have only sail Carnival (2008, 2014, 2017). Because of our last cruise with them we are looking to upgrade cruise line because our experiences over the years with them have declined.. We are looking at two cruises one with Celebrity and one with Norwegian. Can anyone answer some questions? What is the average age aboard Norwegian? How is the nightlife because we love to dance the night away. And please please comment about the food because we are big foodies.

ANY OTHER COMMENTS OR CONCERNS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME

Thank you in advance and Happy Sailing

:*:*:*:*

I've been on 2 NCL cruises..........food, entertainment, and nightlife have all been excellent in my opinion. We've been on Carnival and Disney and we prefer NCL the best. However, I hear the food on Celebrity is better but it has fewer activities to offer I hear. ...but I have no experience with that. Food has always been great on NCL. I like the freestyle of NCL as well.

Hello Everyone,

My DH and I are trying to plan our next cruise we have only sail Carnival (2008, 2014, 2017). Because of our last cruise with them we are looking to upgrade cruise line because our experiences over the years with them have declined.. We are looking at two cruises one with Celebrity and one with Norwegian. Can anyone answer some questions? What is the average age aboard Norwegian? How is the nightlife because we love to dance the night away. And please please comment about the food because we are big foodies.

While I've never had a bad meal on an NCL ship, Celebrity does have, in most people's opinions, better food. In terms of entertainment, NCL wins. NCL, to me, appeals to a younger demographic than does Celebrity. I find it a big advantage as well to be able to decide when and where you want to eat dinner on NCL, as opposed to the "traditional" dinner seating at a large table with the same people each night.

If you want a recommendation on an excellent NCL travel agent, email me at davehorowitz1@verizon.net.

I've been on 2 Carnival cruises and will be going on my 2nd Norwegian cruise in a month.

The nightlife was awesome on the Getaway last year and may be even better on the Escape from what I've read. Better than Carnival nightlife for sure. The food on Norwegian is also really good. I enjoyed my Carnival cruises, but I liked my cruise on Norwegian better!

Average age? Well, on one of my Escape cruises over 25% of the passengers were under 18 (over 1000 people). On another cruise, there were only 20 people under age 18. I'm not sure anyone can give you and average age without knowing the ship, itinerary, and time of year you will be sailing.

Hello Everyone,

I just switched to NCL from CCL and had my first cruise. Both DW and I like NCL better. If you can afford it look at Haven suites. Gives you access to a private dining room with upscale menu along with a list of other benefits

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I really don't see NCL as being in a higher class over Carnival. They are both mass market lines with a remarkable number of similarities. I have been on all of the big 3, each have things I like and things they don't do as well as the other 2.

We've been on a dozen cruises (CCL, RCL, HAL, Princess, Celeb) and did our first NCL (Gem) this month. If you like cruising NCL will be fine. One person might like the food or entertainment more on one line than another but the format is basically the same. We are not big into specialty restaurants but if you are a "foodie" the multiple choices on NCL might be an attraction.

I think we're probably the same age. I was born in 84 too NCL is by far my favorite line. The Glow party and the 80's party are both super fun. While there's no dancing, Howl at the Moon is also a great time. NCL tends to have a younger crowd overall, but how young kind of depends on the time of year. I've done Celebrity twice, and while the food overall is probably better, I was absolutely bored out of my mind. NCL's food is fine to good in the main dining rooms and buffet. The Indian on the buffet is actually very good, but usually not spicy enough to appeal to the masses NCL's specialty restaurants are very good though. Definitely get the specialty dining plan, and you'll be set.

The crowd on Celebrity is a bit older, but not old. Mostly late 30's-50's. I prefer Celebrity because I think the food is better and the decor is definitely classier but we book based on itinerary and schedule more than anything so we've sailed most of the mainstream cruise lines.

Celebrity has an amazing activity called Dancing with the Stripes, where officers and guests have a dancing "competition" and some of them are AMAZING. Some - not so amazing - which makes it even better. It's a ton of fun - do NOT miss it :)

We have done Carnival, Disney and NCL. When the kids were younger Disney was the way to go, food was good, Kids loved the theme. We also sailed with Carnival a few times, Customer service was not amazing, food other than the steak house was horrible, price was ok. After one very bad cruise we will never sail with them again.

However, now that our kids are older (teen and pre-teen) and have been on the Escape a few times. NCL specifically the Escape is the boat they want. MDR food is good, not Disney good but 1000% better than Carnival. We have not really had a bad meal in the MDR's. We have had some very good to great meals in the specialty restaurants. As a foodie you will like them, and with the permanent deal, you get to try a few with out getting up-charged. Food Republic menu is pretty awesome, the steak house is very good, the others are about the same quality as a typical onshore nice restaurant.

As far as age of passengers, it depends on the time of year. Summer and Holidays will have more kids. Our last trip we had from 9 years old to 66 with us. Every one seemed to find a niche for themselves. As far as nightlife, they do a few parties (glow, 80s ect) that run pretty late and have a ton of people at. But i would not really classify the Escape as a party boat, like i saw on Carnival. Like i said i can only really comment on NCL's escape ship, but we are now sold on NCL based on our last two trips.

Average age? Well, on one of my Escape cruises over 25% of the passengers were under 18 (over 1000 people). On another cruise, there were only 20 people under age 18. I'm not sure anyone can give you and average age without knowing the ship, itinerary, and time of year you will be sailing.

Hi,

Thank you for your help we are thinking about the Dawn sailing June 15, 2018 going to Bermuda for 7days.

Thanks in advance

I think we're probably the same age. I was born in 84 too �� NCL is by far my favorite line. The Glow party and the 80's party are both super fun. While there's no dancing, Howl at the Moon is also a great time. NCL tends to have a younger crowd overall, but how young kind of depends on the time of year. I've done Celebrity twice, and while the food overall is probably better, I was absolutely bored out of my mind. NCL's food is fine to good in the main dining rooms and buffet. The Indian on the buffet is actually very good, but usually not spicy enough to appeal to the masses �� NCL's specialty restaurants are very good though. Definitely get the specialty dining plan, and you'll be set.

Hi,

Thank you for your help.. Yes I was born in 84!! May I ask what is a glow party? LOL

Thanks

We have done Carnival, Disney and NCL. When the kids were younger Disney was the way to go, food was good, Kids loved the theme. We also sailed with Carnival a few times, Customer service was not amazing, food other than the steak house was horrible, price was ok. After one very bad cruise we will never sail with them again.

However, now that our kids are older (teen and pre-teen) and have been on the Escape a few times. NCL specifically the Escape is the boat they want. MDR food is good, not Disney good but 1000% better than Carnival. We have not really had a bad meal in the MDR's. We have had some very good to great meals in the specialty restaurants. As a foodie you will like them, and with the permanent deal, you get to try a few with out getting up-charged. Food Republic menu is pretty awesome, the steak house is very good, the others are about the same quality as a typical onshore nice restaurant.

As far as age of passengers, it depends on the time of year. Summer and Holidays will have more kids. Our last trip we had from 9 years old to 66 with us. Every one seemed to find a niche for themselves. As far as nightlife, they do a few parties (glow, 80s ect) that run pretty late and have a ton of people at. But i would not really classify the Escape as a party boat, like i saw on Carnival. Like i said i can only really comment on NCL's escape ship, but we are now sold on NCL based on our last two trips.

Our two options for sailing to Bermuda are the Dawn and the Escape!! I think I know which one you are voting for ;p

Hi,

Thank you for your help.. Yes I was born in 84!! May I ask what is a glow party? LOL

Thanks

The Glow party is a giant glow in the dark dance party in Spice H2O one night of your cruise :D Super fun. You can definitely dance the night away. It's kind of NCL's signature party. There's also an 80's themed dance party one night.

Hello Everyone,

We are in our mid 40's and after more than 20 cruises on Carnival, we cruised the NCL Getaway last year and are hooked! We loved the quality of the food and the dining options. The entertainment was very good and the cabins are nice as well. The only edge I'd say Carnival has over NCL (at least as far as the Getaway is concerned) is that, hands-down, Carnival knows how to design a nightclub/disco. Getaway's nightclub was dismal at best. I don't dance, but my best friend does and it was so dark in there I could barely see her on the floor. On Carnival, the dance floor itself is lit from below the floor and non-dancers can take in the revelry while sitting on the "sidelines". Having said that, this one fact is not enough to make us go back to Carnival, as there were enough other things and entertainment to compensate for the drab disco. For example, they had the '80's dance party on the top deck which we LOVED! And the "Thriller" dance class in the Atrium lobby which we also loved. There was a "White Hot" party on the top deck where people were dancing endlessly. Having said this, we did lament the lack of a "cool" disco for about 2 seconds. And we never went back to the disco on Getaway. But we love NCL's new ships so much that our next voyage is on the Escape this fall, and we can't wait.

Our two options for sailing to Bermuda are the Dawn and the Escape!! I think I know which one you are voting for ;p

I have not sailed on Celebrity - it's on my wish list - but have sailed on both the Dawn and the Escape. If you do decide to cruise on NCL, I would pick the Escape over the Dawn. We actually sailed to Bermuda on the Dawn many years ago - before they took away the beautiful forward facing Spinnaker lounge.

DH and I loved the Waterfront on the Escape and there were more entertainment and dining choices than on the Dawn. There were various places where you could party and also quiet places where you could just "be".

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful cruise to beautiful Bermuda!

NCL Ships are beautiful, and quite different from Carnival. Entertainment on NCL is, IMHO, the best at sea. Carnival has much smaller productions.

Food was better on NCL than my Carnival cruises, too.

Overall, NCL would get my vote. Ages are all over the map on both cruise lines. Probably a little older on Celebrity.

May be an anomally, but my (only) Celebrity cruise was my least favorite.