Do Seaband bracelets work for seasickness& X-mas Present ideas for 1st time cruisers?

carlielyn

I was thinking of buying a couple for stocking stuffers for my MIL, Aunt and some other family members who will going along with us on our (all of us our 1st timers!!) 1st cruise.

Of course I don't want to spend the money if they don't work. I'd appreciate any input at all. If anyone has any other ideas for X-mas presents, stocking stuffers, I would surely appreciate it very much!

My wife used to swear by them, she used to get sea sick without the ship even being untied from the dock now she does not even use them, but still carries them in case.

So Yes go and get them and give them to the relatives if it stops them spoiling there 1st cruise they will either love you for ever or curse you as they will want to cruise every few weeks.

I was thinking of buying a couple for stocking stuffers for my MIL, Aunt and some other family members who will going along with us on our (all of us our 1st timers!!) 1st cruise.

Of course I don't want to spend the money if they don't work. I'd appreciate any input at all. If anyone has any other ideas for X-mas presents, stocking stuffers, I would surely appreciate it very much!

Maybe add some ginger capsules, too - you can get them in the health food store or in the health food section of your supermarket. I cannot take either dramamine or bonine so I use the bands and take the ginger capsules. Not sure which is working for me, but I have had no problems when I do both.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise! Now you will be as hooked as the rest of us.

I have used them with no problems-- but then I found we dont get sea sick. SO used them when we sailed on the Legend and hit very rough waters.

If your people dont get car sick or motion sick-- they should be fine on a cruise. the sea bands will work for them. If they get really sick with motion sickness or amusment rides I dont see how it will work

Awwww shucks!! Serene, my mil and aunt both get carsick fairly easily and so do I if I'm in the back seat. If this is the case, you don't think these will work for us? Are the patches better? I don't really want to take anything that makes me sleepy. They probably wouldn't want to either but if that is the best/only alternative I guess we will??

If your people dont get car sick or motion sick-- they should be fine on a cruise. the sea bands will work for them. If they get really sick with motion sickness or amusment rides I dont see how it will work

Is this a medical opinion or a personal opinion?

Awwww shucks!! Serene, my mil and aunt both get carsick fairly easily and so do I if I'm in the back seat. If this is the case, you don't think these will work for us? Are the patches better? I don't really want to take anything that makes me sleepy. They probably wouldn't want to either but if that is the best/only alternative I guess we will??

If you use the patches--please make sure ya wash your hands- read a review about someone putting the patch on then puttin gin contacts.(how crazy was that??)

RIte aid just had a sale here--buy one get one free. Not a bad price at that sale. When is your cruise? You might not need nothing at all.

I guess different things work for different people. I think I will still get the seabands, they don't cost too much. It sounds like it's worth a try.

I will make sure I bring other things as well...ginger capsules and dramamine as others have suggested. Thanks again!!

I love travelling and I get motion sick on curvy roads, boats, and planes. I have used seabands for a number of years and they do the trick. They are ugly (grey knitted yarn with elastic) but they are so great. I never have had to take a pill since I started using them. I put them on 1/2 hour before leaving and only take them off on shore and when showering or swimming in the pool -- and I can feel the difference for me. For $6.00 you can throw away the patch and pills, in my opinion, except for maybe the most terrible seas.

Hi Serene,

We do have a Rite Aid near us. I'll have to check it out. We have quite awhile until we leave so I'm sure I'll have plenty of different things I pick up until we go. We are leaving on the Dawn for an 11 day Western Carribean cruise on November 5th. I can't wait!! We're all so excited we have already had get togethers a couple different times just to talk about it!! I think anticipation is half the journey!!!! That's another reason I'm trying to think of gift ideas for X-mas.........:) So if anybody has any more ideas, please write!!!!!!!

Mythbusters actually did something on this. They tested and found that the only thing that worked for their seasickness consistenly with no side effects were the ginger caplets. Every person is different, but I would stick to getting them ginger or the bands since who knows what kind of reaction they could have to any sort of medication! A lot of people swear by ginger, so if they are prone to seasickness, I hope it works for them!

its a cruise message board--- and all posts are done as a personal opinion. If it was a medical opinion it would be posted on the WebMD boards

Yes, this is a cruise message board. However, I don't know you, and doctors do cruise (there has been one on board every ship I have been on) and some of them might post their opinions. Since I do not know your background I asked.

Personally I don't see how the wrist bands work either, but they do seem to work for some people. So, I wanted to know if you were offering a personal opinion or a professional (medical) opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

November 5th of 2006?? Wow--you do have some planning to do.

Something to consider---make a small booklet with printouts from the Port of calls boards. Let your people see that there is sooo much to see and do.

I was on the Legend this past May and I used both the sea bands and the ginger caps. I started the morning that I got on the ship and the first night I still got sick. I also get car sick, sitting in the back seat of a car and on windy roads. I would recommend maybe taking Bonine the first night or so and then switch to the bands if you are very prone to motion sickness. I didn't want to be tired but being a little tired would have been much better than being sick. I only took the Bonine for 2 days and then I was fine. I am going again this June I will start the Bonine a day before we leave and take it for the first day or so and then switch to the bands. HOpe this helps and you have a GREAT trip!!

Personally I don't see how the wrist bands work either, but they do seem to work for some people. So, I wanted to know if you were offering a personal opinion or a professional (medical) opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

the sea bands work using accupressure points in your wrists. Sea bands look like elastic bands that the girls wear in the hair. but there is a little ball on each one that should be on the inside of your wrist. and you must wear two at a time- one on each wrist. the sea band should be placed two fingers away from where the wrist meets the hand-thats where the little ball that uses the accupressure will be placed. THey should fit snug but not tight.

PS-- I would never listen to medical advice on acruise board--for one you dont know if the other person on the other end is really who they say they are.

carlielyn,

When we did a Western Caribbean cruise with family members, I put together a little gift pack. One of the things that I included that everyone really enjoyed was a "Fish ID Card". It is a plastic card that you put around your wrist with a rubber band. As you snorkel around, you can refer to the card to identify the fish that you are seeing. The guide for our "Snorkeling with the Stingrays" excursion in Grand Cayman bought them at a local dive shop for me, then shipped them in advance of the cruise so that I could put them in the gift bags.

If this idea interests you at all, let me know and I can try to find the extras that I have around here somewhere.

Archived