Do Seaband bracelets work for seasickness& X-mas Present ideas for 1st time cruisers?

carlielyn

carlielyn,

When we did a Western Caribbean cruise with family members, I put together a little gift pack. One of the things that I included that everyone really enjoyed was a "Fish ID Card". It is a plastic card that you put around your wrist with a rubber band. As you snorkel around, you can refer to the card to identify the fish that you are seeing. The guide for our "Snorkeling with the Stingrays" excursion in Grand Cayman bought them at a local dive shop for me, then shipped them in advance of the cruise so that I could put them in the gift bags.

If this idea interests you at all, let me know and I can try to find the extras that I have around here somewhere.

Thanks for the offer zimmerjulie. That sounds like a wonderful idea--how interesting and cool that would be to know what fish you are looking at?!!

I can't even begin to imagine how beautiful too!!

If you have anything I'd definately be interested. I just booked our cruise for 11/5/06 on Friday. I'm going to start looking in to excursions next. I am very interested in going snorkeling even though I am a bit nervous as I have never done it before.

Thanks again!!

Thats whats great about cruising- I have tried stuff that I would not have normally tried in everydayliving...even with eating in the dining rooms. I make it a point of trying something I never tried before. FOund out I like lots of stuff..and some stuff---ewwww.

I know you're right Serene. I am going to try to be adventerous on this trip and try a lot of new things.

We have been doing the same vacation for the past 10 years. I am a Disney freak and we have been going there sometimes as many as 3 times in 1 year!! We go in our motorhome which helps make it affordable but also eats up a lot of our vacation time driving to and fro from PA.

The last time we went we actually strayed a bit further south than Disney to Key West! OMG what a paradise! We stayed at a privately owned RV park called Bluewater Key(right on Sugarloaf Bay).

It was something so out of the ordianry for all of us. To actaully sit under a tiki hut and OMG relax!! I didn't think it would be my cup of tea, boy was I wrong!!! A cold corona, a good book and a bay breeze. ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!

It certainly was a change to say the least from our recent days at Disney!! Although I will always love Disney and never want to stay away too long BUT I am ready as I'm sure my very patient hubby is to try some new sights and sounds.

I just got an eliptical machine about a month ago and I am getting on it a bit longer every week. I think it will help me be more adventurous if I'm not so self-concsious!!! Hopefully I can get at least 20 pounds off in the next 11 months or so!

I can't wait to try all the food on the cruise AND the exercise equipment!!:)

carlielyn, I got some at a GNC type store. I think it was about 5 bucks for 100 caplets. Never tried them but I get motion sickness in cars and am a little concerned that I will be sea sick. Normally I take dramamine, but the ginger shouldn't react with alcohol while the dramamine might. I've heard really good things about the ginger so we'll see how they work.

We made it through 26 hours of 30-40' seas on the Golden with the sea bands and ginger. We highly recommend it! Another trick - apples. On the Dawn when we mentioned that we were feeling a bit 'queasy' they brought a plate of sliced apples and crackers. According to my brother it is an old sailor's trick, as well.

Disney?? I would love it. SO says 5 years minimum wait time. (LOL)

If you buy the ginger stuff now will they still be good when you sail?

same with underwater cameras-- be careful of expiration dates.

I assume you are referring to the film in the camera. There are non-disposable underwater cameras and they do not expire.

au contraire-- they did. I found a deal on ebay so i scooped them up-- not realizing there is an expiration date. How sad for us that all the pics we taken at Stingray city were sooo grainy. The lady at the photo shop showed us the expiration date.

These were the fuiji underwater cameras/

my mil get very bad motion sickness and lives with those seabands. she swears by them.

i will have to go buy the ginger pills. i am going on my first cruise. i don't want to take the chance of getting seasick. i already bought the bracelets on ebay for a great price because i couldn't find them at any local stores in my area.

Is this a medical opinion or a personal opinion?

The Discovery Channel's show "Mythbusters" tested various seasickness remedies. Two subjects prone to motion sickness were both tested on a spinning rig while blindfolded. Both predictably hurled without any form of relief. Both had no luck with sea bands, either the simple elastic or electronic type that is supposed to hit an acupressure point with a tiny electrical current. One was magically cured and lasted a full 30 minutes in the chair when given a placebo sugar pill. Both did very well using ginger. Scopolamine was also tested, and worked, though both subjects felt slightly loopy and thickheaded due to the drug's side effects.

I was told by a real (professional) sailor that the simplest remedy is simply to get outside, look at the horizon, and get some fresh air. Closing your eyes, and being enclosed, is the worst possible thing. All you do is focus on the motion and it amplifies itself if you don't get a point of reference to allow your sense of balance to re-set.

Last January was our first cruise, and we were travelling with my MIL and FIL. For Christmas, they bought us a few things for the cruise. Sea Bands, a bright strap for around our luggage so we could find it more easily, a travel wallet that can be worn either around our neck or on a belt, with places for passport, ID, money, etc, Frommer's Caribbean Port guide, a travel journal, stuff like that. We really appreciated it, since they were all things that we really hadn't thought about before that. My SIL got me a really nice clutch for formal nights... although that may not be what you're looking for!! :D

au contraire-- they did. I found a deal on ebay so i scooped them up-- not realizing there is an expiration date. How sad for us that all the pics we taken at Stingray city were sooo grainy. The lady at the photo shop showed us the expiration date.

These were the fuiji underwater cameras/

The Fuiji underwater camera is a disposable camera. It is the film in the camera that has an expiration date. You can buy underwater cameras that are not disposable. Those don't expire. You just have to make sure the film is fresh. There are also underwater digital cameras. These also do not expire.

Only the disposable cameras expire, and that is because of the film inside the camera. Non-disposable underwater cameras do not expire.

I stand corrected-- I guess we were talking abou two differnt things.

Most cruisers are not putting out that kind of money for digital underwater cameras.. Most buy the throw away kind.

In general I agree. However, in August 2004 I bought 4 disposable underwater cameras. Then I bought two x-ray proof bags to put them in. Then I had the film developed on the ship and made into CDs (no photos). Total cost - over $100.

I went to Sharper Image and bought an underwater digital camera for $80. No longer need to develop pictures on the ship. No need to carry around x-ray proof bags (digital film is not bothered by x-rays). Total cost - less than $100.

You can also buy reloadable underwater film cameras for a very reasonable amount. All of the cameras I am talking about are only good for about 10 to 15 feet of water. Want to go deeper, be prepared for something over $500.

Also, store your film in the refrigerator, it will last longer. Just allow time for the film to warm up to room temperature before using. Also, don't open the film and then put it in the refrigerator - the excess moisture will condense.

You've probably heard enough by now, but - I swear by my Sea Band which is the type that provides a slight electrical pulse. It was really effective one evening on a "rocking and rolling" live-aboard scuba dive boat. I've heard that the ones that simply put pressure on your pulse aren't as effective. The bands have also been FDA approved for use for morning sickness. My only problem is forgetting the band is not a watch and trying to check the time:) Perhaps that should be their next invention!

I am also a 1st time cruiser and asked my doctor yesterday for advice on motion sickness, she suggested that I use the patch but also suggested ginger altoids because you can just pop in your mouth and suck on them when needed without the risk of getting tired or over medicating.

Archived