U.S. Passport Renewal Processing Time as of 6/29/17

Fathom5

Has anyone had recent experience with getting a new passport after the old one expired? My future DIL let hers lapse and I was just wondering the process time. She sent it out one week ago and we have a cruise near the end of September. Not too concerned, just wondered.

The timing may depend on location, but there should be no difference in the processing time, as long as the passport has not been expired for more than 5 years.

As for where your renewal gets sent, it depends on what state you live in. CA, FL, IL, MN, NY, and TX residents all get sent to Irving TX. Residents of all other states send to Philadelphia. This is for routine service. Residents of all states send to Philly for expedited service. Don't ask me why...US tax dollars at work.

I know you can also do a "walk in" appointment, at least in San Francisco, apply in the morning and come back in the afternoon to pick it up. You have to show a shortly approaching proof of travel to get the processing.

My SIL just realized she couldn't find her passport and applied for a duplicate by mail, which she got in 16 days. They used the old photo and it expires on the original date.

We mailed our passport renewal out on June 19 and we received our new passports back on June 30! I was shocked. It wasn't even 2 full weeks. I remember when we first got our original passports in 2007, it took nearly 5 months. EGADS... We had our photos made at AAA, as they are free if you are a member.

Just a reminder....we had our pictures done at our local pharmacy, they were rejected because we wore our glasses. We had to do the process all over again!

Is the glasses prohibition new? I just looked at our passports, which expire in 2019, and both my husband and I are wearing glasses. I don't remember any publicity about a change.

Margy

Is the glasses prohibition new? I just looked at our passports, which expire in 2019, and both my husband and I are wearing glasses. I don't remember any publicity about a change.

Margy

Yes, it is new. It tells you on the application. We renewed ours in January, and had to have pics without glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At least you would have gotten on the ship, that's really all that matters, right?! Coming back to real life is overrated! ;)

Just FYI ... they do not allow passengers on the ship if passport expires 2 days into the cruise. It states (somewhere, I read it on my recent cruise) that passports MUST be valid X days (30, 60, ??) beyond cruise date.

We mailed our passport renewal out on June 19 and we received our new passports back on June 30! I was shocked. It wasn't even 2 full weeks. I remember when we first got our original passports in 2007, it took nearly 5 months. EGADS... We had our photos made at AAA, as they are free if you are a member.

That's good to know AAA passport photos are free. Thanks! :)

I put mine in the mail on Monday (6/26) standard delivery. I'm hoping to get it back by the latest end of July. I have a Cruise book for mid August. Like the other poster said I too always use Walgreens without any problem. This is my third renewal.

Fathom5 where did your wife mail hers to? I sent mine to TX. I know depending on where you live some people mail to Philadelphia. Just wondering if one processing center is quicker than the other. Thx

I was thinking the same thing reading all of these posts & VERY different turn around times.

My wife received her newly renewed passport today (6/29/17). The application was mailed on 6/16/17 via USPS Priority Mail, with routine processing requested. I was impressed with the quick turnaround time. I don't know if this is typical or not, but here's a data point if anyone is interested.

Just got the same timeframe for mine. Apparently early summer is an excellent time to renew through Philadelphia. Just over two weeks for new book, just under three weeks for card to arrive, and just over three weeks for old passport (with my hard-fought Brazil visa in it) to come back

Sent our renewals in 6/24 and received our new passports today 7/8. Exactly 2 week turnaround.

We submitted our sons the same day and his is not back yet (children have to apply for a new passport, no renewals).

Just got the same timeframe for mine. Apparently early summer is an excellent time to renew through Philadelphia. Just over two weeks for new book, just under three weeks for card to arrive, and just over three weeks for old passport (with my hard-fought Brazil visa in it) to come back

We did not receive our old passport books back. Do they come back separately?

Yes they do a couple of weeks later we got back our old ones

Our old ones came back today, our new ones just came in on Saturday. Must says I am very pleased!

I sent in my renewal today. I cruise in December and it expires January 2018. I chose to get both the passport book and the card this time, so I'm hoping it doesn't take any longer that it would with just the book renewal. Sent from a small town post office in northeast FL.

We mailed in our passports (and forms and checks) for renewal on June 29, priority mail. Received July 1 (Saturday -- I'm surprised they work Saturday), and check were cashed Monday, July 3. I expect to get our passports soon.

Question: Some people need to travel a lot, sometimes at the last minute -- people like business executives or even entertainers on ship. Renewing a USA passport requires mailing in your current passport. What do these people do since there is a period of (presumably) several days they don't have a passport even using expedited service? Gosh, a passport was even required to travel from some states within the US because driver's licenses were not compliant with security standards -- See: http://www.demblognews.com/2015/09/real-id-law-passport-required-for-us.html So I wonder how there people could fly when their passports were being renewed?