Just a small piece of advice please....

shot2bits

On Ventura in three weeks and I don't want to take the full dinner suit. I fancy wearing my white tux, which is lighter. Can anyone who has been on Ventura recently advise if many men opted for the white jacket? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On Ventura in three weeks and I don't want to take the full dinner suit. I fancy wearing my white tux, which is lighter. Can anyone who has been on Ventura recently advise if many men opted for the white jacket? Thanks.

Possibly about 5% to 10%, more in the summer but a wise choice.

To us you stand out more in jeans and a t shirt walking through the atrium when everyone else is formal. Sounds good to me - go and enjoy. Look after her for us as we are due to go on a 17 nighter for the first time. :-)

Well, only been on one previous PandO cruise, hence the question. Fitted in ok on celebrity, Thomson were mostly black dinner suits, with a smattering of jeans! I can't say I am a big fan of formal nights but cruises are the only times Mrs S2B gets to wear her formal dresses ( gowns?)

You always get a significant number of gentlemen wearing Tuxedos which are white, ideal for B&W night if there is one assuming you have black trousers.

Regards John

Thanks John, that's the answer I hoped to get! BTW, yes black trousers!

White DJs are perfectly acceptable. There is actually an etiquette as to which months a gentleman can wear a white jacket, but of course those old traditions aren't observed anymore because we aren't limited to a British season when we travel to the sun! Wear it with confidence and don't worry!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was told one only wears the white in the tropics! Well, The Canaries will be semi tropical, as will Madeira. As you say, the old traditions are fading fast.

If you read some of the Carnival posts those of us who dress smartly with suits,DJ etc are relics from the past they call us because they all wear tank tops and shorts in the restaurants.

I was told one only wears the white in the tropics! Well, The Canaries will be semi tropical, as will Madeira. As you say, the old traditions are fading fast.

Which is very sad!

There are other options for those who don't wish to dress up. I guess that is another subject.

Just wear whatever you are comfortable in, sticking to the rules for formal night that is. Personally I think that looking like James Bond in a white jeacket is always a winner.

I wonder how many other people think like that? It's a cruise tradition is it not? I even have a 'proper' bow tie! I have to tie it round my knee and then slide it over my head. Can't do it in a mirror or 'blind' Now there is a confession!

My husband has a Black DJ, a White DJ and now a Red Velvet DJ. He has worn all of them at some point on a P&O cruise - and looks fabulous I might add!

He has a number of different coloured bow ties, but his black one is a 'proper' one, which I have to tie! :D

You will look wonderful in your white one - Enjoy! :)

My husband has a Black DJ, a White DJ and now a Red Velvet DJ. He has worn all of them at some point on a P&O cruise - and looks fabulous I might add!

He has a number of different coloured bow ties, but his black one is a 'proper' one, which I have to tie! :D

You will look wonderful in your white one - Enjoy! :)

Thats always been a highlight on P&O,the fact so many people dress properly for formal night.

I think formal nights are gradually being dumbed down now. Many lines are switching to 'dress to impress' or ' smart chic' etc. Some lines don't bother at all. I wonder what the general feeling is on here - a good thing or bad?

I think formal nights are gradually being dumbed down now. Many lines are switching to 'dress to impress' or ' smart chic' etc. Some lines don't bother at all. I wonder what the general feeling is on here - a good thing or bad?

I think it depends on the cruise line and where you are sailing from. P&O cruises seem to have a higher proportion of passengers adhering to the formal night dress code than most other similar standard cruise lines. However even Princess, RCI and Celebrity cruises out of Southampton do still seem to follow the formal dress code, even though Celebrity have now renamed it Evening Chic.

My tuxedo, or DJ if you prefer, is fairly lightweight and crease resistant so is easy to pack, and personally I quite like wearing it for change, but I think maybe 4 formal nights on a 4 week cruise is 1 too many.

It's a really difficult balance, isn't it? The 'faff' of packing (particularly men's shoes, particularly for a fly-cruise), the danger of 'mmm, special dress-up occasion' becoming 'all this trussing up again?', people who spend 48 weeks a year in business clothes really not wanting to do it on holiday, etc

I don't know how to square the circle. All that packing, for one wearing, seems hardly worth the bother, but two in a week, especially if followed by two the following week, seems a bit much. Yet, when the majority of the ship participates, it does feel special.

Answers on a postcard ...

I think it depends on the cruise line and where you are sailing from. P&O cruises seem to have a higher proportion of passengers adhering to the formal night dress code than most other similar standard cruise lines. However even Princess, RCI and Celebrity cruises out of Southampton do still seem to follow the formal dress code, even though Celebrity have now renamed it Evening Chic.

My tuxedo, or DJ if you prefer, is fairly lightweight and crease resistant so is easy to pack, and personally I quite like wearing it for change, but I think maybe 4 formal nights on a 4 week cruise is 1 too many.

I agree totally with you.

Out of interest i read some of the threads on other lines and their thinking is an eye opener.

Some of them are like discriptions of 18-30 holidays in Magaluf,San Antonio etc and some of the clothes they say they wear i would be embarrassed to do the garden in.

If I didn't want them to dress 'formal' I wouldn't cruise P & O or Cunard.

If people don't want to do this then cruise with someone else - simple.

If it is dumbed down too much then I think P & O will start to lose some regulars.

I have to admit I don't get people booking a cruise knowing what is expected then moan like hell about it - makes no sense to me at all.