Reflection october transatlantic price fluctuation

Louise245

I understand that nobody can predict the price fluctuation of a cruise. But since many CC members have done many transatlantic cruises, maybe you are more familiar with the prices.

We recently booked the Reflection October 2017 transatlantic for approximately the same price we paid for the previous 2 transatlantics we purchased before our CDN $ went down. At the moment the 2017 is half the price of 2018 Reflection for a 2c veranda and it is before final payment. All except 2 cabins on deck 6 sold very fast when the price went down.

I do not remember the price of last year Reflection transatlantic going down so much like this. It did a bit and we were able to upgrade to Concierge after final payment.

From your experience is such a drop a regular occurance or unusual. I am asking because we are thinking of postponing until next year and wondering what are the chances of getting such a low price. :confused:

Since next years itinerary is not very good I'd say the chances are good that the prices will go down. They are being ridiculous with the prices next year which forces everyone to play the game.

TATL repo cruises are not that popular for the most part due to lack of stops (I've gone on a TPAC with only 2 stops - none of which I got off). Fine by some (like myself), not so for other hence prices are generally lower. I'd wait until near or even after final payment.

After several Transatlantics with Celebrity, we have learned to just sit back and wait for pricing to go down after final payment before we pull the trigger. The exception would be if you want a specific cabin or suite.

And waiting until after final payment hasn't been a problem for us with regard to airfare, either, through Choice Air.

This year we booked the Silhouette April Transatlantic in mid-February, got a great cabin and booked business class air home through Choice Air for $850.

In 2016 Celebrity sent 5 ships from Florida to Europe, whereas this year only 3. I thought that fact might affect pricing upward on this year's Spring Transatlantics, but it didn't turn out to be the case. At least not for us.

Like Ma Bell said, with pricing as high as it is 12-18 months out, it makes you "play the game".

We did a Reflection TA last April. We booked a year in advance and repriced several times for a significant savings. However, as I recall there was not a major price reduction after final payment (I may be wrong about this since I was checking for my brother who was thinking of joining us and I didn't check during the final 4-6 weeks before departure). There was a 3-day sale just before departure that reduced the price of our PBP.

Thank you so much for all your inputs. It helps me understand the pricing. It was also my thinking that the prices of transatlantic would go up because of less ships in the Mediterranée. But Also I guess less people are going to Europe. We will switch to next year transatlantic. I do not mind the itinerary. i find transatlantic cruises relaxing and no jet lag coming back from europe.

Thank you so much for all your inputs. It helps me understand the pricing. It was also my thinking that the prices of transatlantic would go up because of less ships in the Mediterranée. But Also I guess less people are going to Europe. We will switch to next year transatlantic. I do not mind the itinerary. i find transatlantic cruises relaxing and no jet lag coming back from europe.

Just pay close attention to the pricing both pre and post-final payment and you should be fine. Although repetitious, it does pay to monitor prices daily and/or subscribe to a service that does this for you. In our case this Spring, the price we paid was only available for two or three days and then it was gone. Poof. Also, if you're looking to sail in a balcony category, often times the lowest price balconies sell first (category 2, for example), but Concierge Class bookings sometimes lag because they are initially priced a lot higher. We've found pretty consistently that Concierge Class drops after final payment to a comparable price (or even less) than standard verandas were earlier. It's all a supply and numbers game... Good luck to you!

Another consideration: it appears that Celebrity's online prices differ for each transatlantic. In other words, the pricing is not the same cost per day. Not sure why. (Probably perceived value of Itinerary). And this variable corporate pricing holds on price tracking websites.

However, the various online travel agencies have group pricing rates for certain popular cruises including transatlantic and those are more consistently the same price per day. And because these pre-negotiated blocks have a limited quantity, when a certain travel agent sells out, their pricing reverts to the corporate price list ( which as you have learned, might have reductions post-final payment).

Bottom line: checking with more than one source may elicit a Price more in keeping with a rate that seems reasonable to you. Then you could have the opportunity to pick your preferred cabin location and category. You gain the early joy of anticipation and planning!

And this may allow for the daily Price checking for an upgrade opportunity or price reductions to be closer to the time of sailing vs compulsively trying to find a better deal before booking.

Happy Sailing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't always count on airline tickets being cheaper, as it depends on where you are flying/class and airline...but one way with Choice Air is usually the best for us unless we have points!

Don't always count on airline tickets being cheaper, as it depends on where you are flying/class and airline...but one way with Choice Air is usually the best for us unless we have points!

We fly out of Montreal and we have also found that Choice Air was always cheaper to fly to Europe. I have started to look at Boston for a direct flight as we are only 3 1/2 hour from there and 2 1/2 from Montreal.

It is an undisputed fact that Celebrity's Transatlantics, in both directions, have become considerably more popular, and the ships sailing those itineraries are much closer to capacity, than they have been in previous years.

We watch the Transatlantic prices very closely. Substantial price reductions are becoming less frequent, but we have timed our purchases well enough to book our last four Celebrity sailings at the lowest prices that we have seen offered for those specific sailings. Two bookings were before final payment, and two were after. It really helps to know what the pricing history has been to be reasonably assured that you are paying a low price.

Kendal:cool:

Since next years itinerary is not very good I'd say the chances are good that the prices will go down. They are being ridiculous with the prices next year which forces everyone to play the game.

What makes the itinerary less desirable that causes the price to drop? I would like to know so that I can keep my eye out these cruises.

What makes the itinerary less desirable that causes the price to drop? I would like to know so that I can keep my eye out these cruises.

Some TA's have an itinerary similar to a traditional Mediterranean cruise, we did one that started in Rome, & went to Florence (except we ended up in La Spezia due to weather) Villafranche, Barclelona, Cartagena & Madiera... then the crossing, fablulous trip! Celebrity seems to be dropping some of the big ports from thier TA's & adding more 'small potato" ports.

Of course it's subjective, what I consider desirible others may not. I prefer ports with museums, & history to beaches.

I'm actually in the process of booking a TA right now, looking at Princess which offers some truly unique trans atlantic intineraries... however I do love the S class ships for sea days.

• 3 weeks later...
Just pay close attention to the pricing both pre and post-final payment and you should be fine. Although repetitious, it does pay to monitor prices daily and/or subscribe to a service that does this for you.

Are you able to point me to a service that does price monitoring? We are thinking of booking an October 2018 TA now because we want a specific cabin.

Are you able to point me to a service that does price monitoring? We are thinking of booking an October 2018 TA now because we want a specific cabin.

There is a EU website/travel agent which can track prices similar to sky scanner although I understand one cannot post websites here.