Impact of Ship in Port on Crowds in Maui

danv3

I'm taking a non-cruise vacation to Maui in January 2018. For two of the days we'll be there, POA is in port in Kahului. Will the presence of the ship in port have a noticeable impact on crowds on the island? Are there things we should avoid doing while the ship is there? For example, maybe Haleakala and the Road to Hana should wait until after the ship has left?

On the other hand, it looks like POA only holds somewhere north of 2,000 pax, so perhaps it won't have any appreciable effect at all and I just shouldn't worry about it!

I'm taking a non-cruise vacation to Maui in January 2018. For two of the days we'll be there, POA is in port in Kahului. Will the presence of the ship in port have a noticeable impact on crowds on the island? Are there things we should avoid doing while the ship is there? For example, maybe Haleakala and the Road to Hana should wait until after the ship has left?

On the other hand, it looks like POA only holds somewhere north of 2,000 pax, so perhaps it won't have any appreciable effect at all and I just shouldn't worry about it!

Maui hosted 2.6 million visitors last year, so don't worry that one ship overwhelms us. The POA shows up every week and docks in a commercial port area on the other side of the island from where the majority of cruise ships anchor. We have never noticed any impact from the POA. Yes, there would probably be a slight difference in the number of people, cars and tour buses in the tourist areas on those days, but nothing more.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

Like Silver Sweathearts, I've never experienced any noticeable differences with or without a cruise ship.

The only thing I saw were more people walking the short distance from the port to the Maul Mall to go shopping including at Longs Drugs which has a good variety of well priced products.