Is there a catch?

jimdicap

Booked Seaside for May 2018, first time ever on MSC....in typical CC fashion, I am already doing tons of research. It seems as if the pricing for everything on board--drinks, spa, internet, photos, is MUCH less than every other cruise line. Is there a catch of some sort that I do not know about from not sailing MSC before? or am I just being pessimistic. I could envision in a growth phase as a cruise line they are trying to "buy" loyalty with total cost of cruising, but I just have never seen any line actually do this.

It isn't surprising.

Many (most?) cruisers are loyal to a certain line....to the point that they will defend the line from criticism. The idea of low prices to gain new cruisers has worked before. Look at Carnival. There was a time when Carnival was easily the least expensive line in the US. They have built a following and Carnival has been able to raise prices without losing their loyal customers.

MSC is trying to take a bigger bite of the US market. The top suite on Seaside is priced lower than a mid-level suite on other lines. Many people in the US are trying MSC for the first time on Seaside. The ship was specifically built to appeal to American cruisers.

Personally, I'm not loyal to any line. I go to whatever ship interests me. The Haven (NCL) and the Yacht Club (MSC) are probably going to be my most booked cruises for the time being. If RCCL ever does "ship within a ship", look for me to book there, too.

Unfortunately...the secret about the Yacht Club cabins is out.....;p

That is the absolute best price for all inclusive luxury cruising at sea.

It is now getting very hard to find these cabins available. We used to be able to always get get a YC2 or YC3.

A few months ago, I felt fortunate to get the last YC1 on a February 2018 Seaside cruise. I Know that is a new ship but still....

If can can possibly do the Yacht Club on any ship, take it.

I am sure these cabin prices will sky rocket in the near future. They have been slowly inching up !

...is MUCH less than every other cruise line. Is there a catch of some sort that I do not know about from not sailing MSC before? ...

This sounds like me about 3 weeks ago. I booked Seaside for Apr. 28. I looked at everything--my invoice, enhancements for the cruise. Then, I searched for a replacement for my NCL fjord cruise. Bingo! The ONLY line that was truly competitive. We had a stop at Kirkwall on NCL and were looking forward to it as the British isles are on our bucket list. We found that the Meraviglia sailed the British isles immediately following the fjord cruise. We cancelled Seaside then booked 21 days on Meraviglia for LESS than our 9 days on Jade.

I do love NCL. We're looking forward to our third TA in Nov (our 6th cruise on Epic). However, next year's TA jumped quite a bit in price. We jumped on the MSC offerings, and I know we will love our cruises (flights and hotels have been booked!)

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Booked the YC for May 2018 on Seaside.

We have sailed 4 times in the Haven on NCL and done 30 plus cruises.

The YC Suite was $ 3000 less for the same week as a Courtyard Penthouse on NCL.

We received Black match status ..... made the choice a Big No Brainer.

Look forward to the MSC experience !

Having just returned from the Yacht Club on Divina, I am a convert. The experience far exceeded our Haven experience. The service never felt rushed and the staff felt very genuine. Not a single grumpy staff anywhere on the ship. The cost was less, but the service was much better.

Booked Seaside for May 2018, first time ever on MSC....in typical CC fashion, I am already doing tons of research. It seems as if the pricing for everything on board--drinks, spa, internet, photos, is MUCH less than every other cruise line. Is there a catch of some sort that I do not know about from not sailing MSC before? or am I just being pessimistic. I could envision in a growth phase as a cruise line they are trying to "buy" loyalty with total cost of cruising, but I just have never seen any line actually do this.

They offer the best prices and have the most beautiful ships and the best entertainment of any other cruise line.They are trying to make a big dent in the north america market.

Unfortunately...the secret about the Yacht Club cabins is out.....;p

That is the absolute best price for all inclusive luxury cruising at sea.

It is now getting very hard to find these cabins available. We used to be able to always get get a YC2 or YC3.

A few months ago, I felt fortunate to get the last YC1 on a February 2018 Seaside cruise. I Know that is a new ship but still....

If can can possibly do the Yacht Club on any ship, take it.

I am sure these cabin prices will sky rocket in the near future. They have been slowly inching up !

Yes the secret is out. YC will be the game changer for the US cruise market.

Simply the best. [emoji4]

Booked first MSC cruise for December- Yacht Club on Divina and can't wait!! Also expect prices will increase as word gets out so decided to splurge now. Also plan on booking Seaside for March, but likely Aurea. Just got back into cruising after a 6 year gap. What an exciting time with so many choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you happen to know if we can book MSC cruises while onboard NCL?

thanks

This sounds like me about 3 weeks ago. I booked Seaside for Apr. 28. I looked at everything--my invoice, enhancements for the cruise. Then, I searched for a replacement for my NCL fjord cruise. Bingo! The ONLY line that was truly competitive. We had a stop at Kirkwall on NCL and were looking forward to it as the British isles are on our bucket list. We found that the Meraviglia sailed the British isles immediately following the fjord cruise. We cancelled Seaside then booked 21 days on Meraviglia for LESS than our 9 days on Jade.

I do love NCL. We're looking forward to our third TA in Nov (our 6th cruise on Epic). However, next year's TA jumped quite a bit in price. We jumped on the MSC offerings, and I know we will love our cruises (flights and hotels have been booked!)

thanks

Um, no. They are completely different cruise lines. Of course, I should amend that to say if you have a good internet package you should be MAY be able to book MSC while onboard NCL ;p

thanks

In addition to having a good internet connection while on an NCL ship as Sunshine2U suggested, you have to hope that the MSC website is functioning properly.

Booked first MSC cruise for December- Yacht Club on Divina and can't wait!! Also expect prices will increase as word gets out so decided to splurge now. Also plan on booking Seaside for March, but likely Aurea. Just got back into cruising after a 6 year gap. What an exciting time with so many choices!

you might be disappointed !

I am sure an Aurea suite is very nice but once you have experienced what it is like to be in the Yacht Club area, I cannot imagine how hard it would be to be 'locked out'.

It is not just about the cabin & restaurant areas.....you are not going to believe how fantastic the pool/bar/buffet area is and how much space there is there.

you might be disappointed !

I am sure an Aurea suite is very nice but once you have experienced what it is like to be in the Yacht Club area, I cannot imagine how hard it would be to be 'locked out'.

It is not just about the cabin & restaurant areas.....you are not going to believe how fantastic the pool/bar/buffet area is and how much space there is there.

I agree with you. We would prefer a larger suite like the Aurea suites offer since we like to spend a good amount of time in our room. That being said, I wouldn't given up the perks in the YC for the extra space. We are booked on the Seaside in May and again in October of 2018 both in a YC1. We are hoping the space will be adequate enough because we know the YC amenities are so amazing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

thanks, I guess I was just confused reading that they honored status on other cruise lines and would place you in the equal category for perks on MSC, but thanks for your answer

Um, no. They are completely different cruise lines. Of course, I should amend that to say if you have a good internet package you should be MAY be able to book MSC while onboard NCL ;p

No catch. It's a very good deal especially for a brand new ship. We couldn't pass it up. We snagged a really good deal on Divina a few years back - 7 days for around $200 a person but it was an interior - we later upgraded to a suite.

I'm curious to see how the balconies compare on Seaside with the different layout. I'm used to looking out and only seeing water and from the images I've seen we might be looking down at a boardwalk??

I did decide to book on the hump hoping for less boardwalk. I enjoy more privacy & peace and quiet with my cabin -- if I want to hear/see people I'll go to the pool deck lol

I agree with you. We would prefer a larger suite like the Aurea suites offer since we like to spend a good amount of time in our room. That being said, I wouldn't given up the perks in the YC for the extra space. We are booked on the Seaside in May and again in October of 2018 both in a YC1. We are hoping the space will be adequate enough because we know the YC amenities are so amazing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I TOTALLY agree with you !

My absolute favorite cabin on Divina was the YC2. ,,,

2 totally separate rooms with a giant bathroom with double sinks & separate shower & tub.

Unfortunately the Seaside does not offer those cabins as Yacht Club.

I am going to have to squeeze myself in the YC1. You really get spoiled with a 2 room cabin but....there is nothing like the Yacht Club !