Huge Price difference Between US and Irish/UK Websites for same cruise

TheGuv316

I recently priced up a 22 night cruise for Christmas 2018 on MSC I got quoted $2400 for an inside cabin for me and my wife on the US website. When I went to book was told via popup that I must use the Irish website as i live there. Fair enough same cabin for same cruise (no airfares) was quoted at €4,500 almost €2,500 more when factoring in exchanges rates

Rang MSC and was told pricing was correct and that different markets have different pricing structures. Anybody else ever come across this situation. I'd live with a small price difference but not that much. Was the same high price also for the UK Site.

do they really think customers do not do their homework and will just allow themselves to be ripped off ?

I recently priced up a 22 night cruise for Christmas 2018 on MSC I got quoted $2400 for an inside cabin for me and my wife on the US website. When I went to book was told via popup that I must use the Irish website as i live there. Fair enough same cabin for same cruise (no airfares) was quoted at €4,500 almost €2,500 more when factoring in exchanges rates

Rang MSC and was told pricing was correct and that different markets have different pricing structures. Anybody else ever come across this situation. I'd live with a small price difference but not that much. Was the same high price also for the UK Site.

do they really think customers do not do their homework and will just allow themselves to be ripped off ?

There are many differences in prices between different countries. Also different offers and cruise that sells only in a specific country. I'm in Italy and sometimes I buy in Germany because they have cheaper prices especially for cruises in Northern Europe

Inviato dal mio SM-N910F utilizzando Tapatalk

You may be able to find a US travel agent to get that deal. I haven't done it yet but would strongly consider it for a cruise if it meant over paying by that much!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It all largely depends on what promos are running in which country - when booking my cruises I have found plenty of examples where UK is cheaper then US. Without promos, US prices seem to have a 5-10% discount I guess largely due to exchange rates.

Check other European websites, and you will find further differences in price.

I normally book via US travel agents but like you said MSC refused to take non US bookings on its US site. Its no big deal in the end they just lost my custom and will be doing well to ever regain it.

It all largely depends on what promos are running in which country - when booking my cruises I have found plenty of examples where UK is cheaper then US.

Exactly ................... I've found cruise prices which were cheaper on the Ireland site than on the UK site - and vice versa. This, despite the fact that we in Ireland have to book thru' the UK office but still we cannot access UK prices. They differ because we're 2 different markets.

MSC still comes out ahead of its main competitors for price and value, though, so I'll be staying with the brand as long as that continues.

Interestingly my US friends were able to book a cruise on the Divina with my travel agent here in the UK as for that particular cruise the YC fare was a lot less than the price in the US.

Plus she was able to give us an additional discount to the price on the MSC website so we were all happy!

We've booked with US travel agents when sailing other lines' date=' but we've been told that MSC will not allow them to take UK bookings :([/quote']

The 'global village' has some very high walls!

They will charge whatever they think the local market will pay.

• 9 months later...

I see the same repo cruise on the US and UK sites. The UK gives a free drink package (bar and restaurant), the US only gives free mineral water at meals!

$4244 US for a balcony Bella for 2 people on the US site but $5153 US for the same on the UK site. This means $41 US more on the UK site per day - less than two drink packages I think. The UK site also gives a free limited internet package.

Meraviglia Xmas 2019, UK £1,000 more than the US site for a YC balcony!

Asked a US travel agent about booking with him but was told that MSC will not allow them to book anyone out of the US.

I have found prices in South America which were more than the double than prices in Europe. It is almost as if they want to achieve cruisers from some countries and disourage from others. Maybe there is like a quota or something similar.

Ivi

Meraviglia Xmas 2019, UK £1,000 more than the US site for a YC balcony!

Asked a US travel agent about booking with him but was told that MSC will not allow them to book anyone out of the US.

Try Canadian or Mexican TA's all Canadian bookings go through the US site.

Travel Berlin ... Yes they do that on certain sailings, in fact they do not offer them in certain countries in order to do as you mentioned.

There has been times when certain cruises have not bookable on the UK.

I am still able to book my cruise through a US travel agency. After making the deposit, you can buy all extra's through the msc.usa website. No problem.

through US TA = 30-40% cheaper!

Same here. I booked through a US TA and paid almost half price.

I am still able to book my cruise through a US travel agency. After making the deposit, you can buy all extra's through the msc.usa website. No problem.

through US TA = 30-40% cheaper!

I also booked my recent Seaside cruise via a US TA however I was unable to add any extras either via msc.usa (it would let me login to the booking however the cc would always be declined). I also tried via the TA and by calling MSC with the same result - they wouldn't accept a UK cc. I had to wait until I was onboard.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk