Artic Circle Air Adventure from Denali

ladyb324

Has anyone done this tour through Princess from Denali? Was wondering if it is really worth it? Wondering what is available to see in Coldfoot and Wiseman?

I went onto the WEB to try to figure out what the tour does and couldn't quite figure it out. It seems as if you fly over a bunch of territory, stop somewhere to see the pipeline and land at Wiseman and see Wiseman and Coldfoot. If that is the case and in spite of what I think may be the TripAdviser reviews, I do not think it is worth it. The scenery on the Dalton Highway is great but you basically have to drive it to experience it and you will be flying over it. We drove it not all of the way but a bit further than Atigun Pass which is well known if you have ever watched Ice Road Truckers and is 325 miles from Fairbanks.

Coldfoot is basically just a half way refueling stop on the Dalton Highway. Besides the lodging there, the only thing to see is the diner which serves the truckers and is the only food along the Dalton Highway.

Wiseman is a "town" 16 miles up the road from Coldfoot with a permanent population of 10. We stayed overnight at the Gold Rush Camp B&B in Wiseman. The B&B consists of one cabin and a tent. There is also a real B&B in town. The scenery there is intense but not a lot to do.

Hope this helps.

DON

We just drove the Dalton Highway as far as Coldfoot a few weeks ago. Spectacular weather that day! I would say driving is better if you're really wanting to go for the scenery. If you're only wanting to say you've been north of the Arctic Circle and have a limited amount of time then flying would be for you. At Coldfoot, across the Dalton from the store and lodge, is the Arctic Interagency Visitor Center - a very nice place to learn about the area's flora and fauna and history - we were there maybe an hour. Along the road going north is the Yukon River store - fuel and food but not very friendly people... About 4 miles further north is a small eating joint called The Hot Spot that had a couple funny and nice ladies making some pretty darn good burgers - they have a good selection of items in their gift shop too. You've got to rent a vehicle that's equipped for the Dalton (about $200 per calendar day - the regular car rental companies won't allow their vehicles on this highway because of a good potential for damage from rocks flying) and have the time - we rented from Arctic Outfitters in Fairbanks. It was an interesting drive - the next time I want to go all the way to Prudhoe Bay.

A few pics:

My burger at The Hot Spot:

18813922_1535640866486274_2654229056432363965_n.jpg?oh=70578aa98b67fec8a63b4c04e4cf4eeb&oe=59C528D9

Grayling Lake

18813344_1535641229819571_7142695575504014906_n.jpg?oh=fa3a8c144472e2b7419c2689869685e3&oe=5A0A5BE3

18835787_1535640459819648_1311638181863550944_n.jpg?oh=978b9a476a139fc138cca1dfc37ee287&oe=5A105E7D

18836083_1535640929819601_7524359741789053394_n.jpg?oh=bdff1e3752d4057248907df4a88db9d9&oe=5A0643A0

18920260_1535641006486260_3896358679290491270_n.jpg?oh=7700b76c7cdcc8747cfa98a1a6e9552c&oe=59CB43AF

Koyukuk River

18813516_1535641566486204_4648335400413175467_n.jpg?oh=ec59e4f0ce937a10d6d3e2fc796f69d8&oe=59C60E97

We did a van trip up the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse. Stopped overnight at Coldfoot, where we saw the Northern Lights in the middle of the night and I bought a pretty ugly teeshirt. Not really much to see there.

Wiseman is interesting. Lots of old things to look at there.

We did a van trip up the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse. Stopped overnight at Coldfoot, where we saw the Northern Lights in the middle of the night and I bought a pretty ugly teeshirt. Not really much to see there.

Wiseman is interesting. Lots of old things to look at there.

When were you there that you were able to see Northern lights? What time of year and how late at night? Will be there in Fairbanks August 16, 17.

When were you there that you were able to see Northern lights? What time of year and how late at night? Will be there in Fairbanks August 16, 17.

This sunrise / sunset data should answer your question -

Astronomy

Aug. 16, 2016RiseSetActual Time5:42 AM AKDT10:35 PM AKDTCivil Twilight4:22 AM AKDT11:52 PM AKDTNautical TwilightSun does not setSun does not setAstronomical TwilightSun does not setSun does not set

and this - http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/2832/the-differences-between-civil-nautical-and-astronomical-twilight/

and this - https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/astronomical-twilight.html

Bottom line is that the sky has to be dark to see aurora and it won't be.

DON

Last year we made a trip to Coldfoot and Wiseman but not through the cruiseline. We drove to Fairbanks and went with a local outfitter in a van up to Coldfoot, stayed over two nights, and flew back to Fairbanks. We did go to Wiseman one night to view the aurora, but we also saw aurora in Coldfoot, Fairbanks and Denali. In fact, the best aurora we saw was from the parking lot of the Denali Park Hotel. All of this transpired between August 29 and September 6.

We enjoyed the time we spent north of the Arctic Circle. The trip up to Coldfoot was very interesting (to us), and we only had a few people in the van going up, so the trip was comfortable and unhurried. We learned so much about the pipeline including how it was envisioned, how it was built, and how it is maintained. Stopping at those outposts along the way only emphasizes the stark reality of living in such a remote and harsh environment.

Everyone is right that there is not a lot of activity around Coldfoot and probably wouldn't be a good option for someone who has to be doing something constantly. We did all the sightseeing that was offered, and spent some time just enjoying the scenery and talking to the people who work there and the tourists and truckers who drive that lonely, dangerous road. This was one of those "really glad I got to see it and glad I don't have to live there" experiences.

If you only have one day, then the flying option is a good one. Otherwise, the road/flight tours are ideal. I never recommend the road day trips. Simply- crappy scenery for most of this lower Dalton drive. I don't find the costs worth the compromise. Flights are far superior for seeing the beauty and vastness of Alaska. My "time" is of a must higher value than any of my money. :)

I find Coldfoot and Wiseman, excellent locations for remoteness. Usually with Wiseman you can get "Jack" who is a resident "Ambassador". I've come into contact with him several times over the years. Very interesting life. His sister also has a lodge there.

So, Yes, it could be very worth it, depending on what you want out of your Alaska trip?