Viking not providing visa for Cuba ,Viking Cruise Dec 8 2017 Central America and Cuba

debbyLA

Viking tells me and I had my travel agent confirmed, that I am responsible for arranging my own visa in Cuba even if I going to book the boat's tours. I am a natural born US citizen with global entry- so no restrictions.

I've read some cruise lines do that as a service (when you board for free or $75) and some don't.

Anyone else asked Viking about this?

This itinerary is new for Viking. The Viking Sun will be the first ship to go to Cuba in November 2017.

Here is your roll call for the Dec 8,2017 sailing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2412829

So no one on this fourm has traveled with Viking to Cuba as a port of call.

For this specialized question, also check out the Port of Call section for Cuba on CC main page for addtional help.

Also check the US State Dept for travel to Cuba for American citizens on a cruise ship.

Good luck.

I just read this on the Roll Call :

After sending an email to Viking asking about the visas, I received a call back within an hour and a half from a very courteous gentleman who explained that Viking is obtaining a blanket visa for all passengers on the ship. Therefore we do not need to obtain our own visa, but if you are American and do not have your own visa to travel in Cuba then you must remain with Viking excursions. He led me to believe that if you did obtain a visa (which I googled and seems to be a very difficult and expensive process,) you would be able to leave the group. I imagine the same would be hold true for others from other nationalities that do not have Cuban restrictions and can easily obtain a visa. We just called today 7.3.2017. Due to the new government regulations, Americans cannot get their own Visas. We will go to Cuba (cruise ships were not cancelled/effected) but we have to stay with the Viking excursions while on the island. And yes, Viking will get us a blanket Visa for 'educational' purposes.

Thank you for posting. We were on Viking a week ago and my husband asked about the status of Cuba visits. Unfortunately he didn't ask specifically about going off on our own, but I was assuming that the current administration's actions would guarantee that we would no longer be able to do that. What Viking told you seems to reinforce that. I'm just hoping that Viking comes up with some good excursions, and keeps their prices reasonable as they did for our recent "Midnight Sun" cruise so we'll decide to not jump ship and cancel. Of course, I haven't heard that Viking has gotten formal approval to stop in Cuba. Did Viking mention that possible hiccup at all?

I am on the 12/1 sailing and spoke to a Viking rep yesterday, 7.7.17. They stated they would have blanket Visa's in place for all passengers but when I pressed about if they had permission to sail to Cuba, still a no-go. No word on when that permission will be granted.

I believe with the announced changes from the Obama administration, doing Cuba on your own will not be permitted if you are a US citizen.

You will need to be with a guide like the former "people to people" visits.

Of course, if you are a citizen from any other country, you can go when and where you would like.