Looking for Cruisers from past Transatlanatic starting in Europe... re. wine

burrma

I know the guidelines.... one bottle of wine per person if over 21 but in past, I have found on Transatlantic cruises starting in Europe; they are very lenient at turning a blind eye and letting you board with more than one. Anyone have any recent knowledge from past year or two if this was the case on Princess? Thanks

In Southampton, we have not seen them to be lenient. They will just charge you $15 for every bottle in excess of the allowed one 750ml wine bottle per passenger.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for answering; that is the type of info I needed. Is there a limit of amount of soda you can bring on Princess?

I've never exceeded the allowed bottle per person at embarkation in Southamptom, but have picked up a bottle or 2 in Madeira to bring onboard for the remainder of the crossing, They xrayed my tote but never even looked inside it, and nothing was said about taking it to the "wine table".

You do not see which port from which you would embark. We have done make TAs (and repostitioning) cruises from several European ports (i.e, Southampton, Barcelona, Civitavecchia, Venice, Rotterdam, etc) and a few on Princess. There is no way to definitively know whether you will get away with extra bottles as things just seem to vary depending on the day of the week, phases of the moon, etc :). If you take extra bottles, the worst case will be you would have to pay the corkage fee (I think its still $15) on the overage. This is not a bad deal if its a decent wine....when you compare to wine prices on the ship.

Part of the problem predicting, it how security works at different ports. If the Post's own security meets the standards of the cruise line, all your security inspections will happen in the terminal building (or tent...if in Civitavecchia) after which you will simply be able to walk on the ship. If the ship's Security Officer is not satisfied with the port security, there could be an additional X-ray screening as you enter the ship. We have gone on Princess (out of Europe) and walked on with Italian Boxed wines which had 5 liters...and nobody cared. We have also walked on with 3 bottles and been required to pay the corkage. One never knows. So if the wine is worth the corkage fee....take your chances. Otherwise, stick to a single bottle.

Hank

Thanks Flamona and Hlitner for your knowledge. I know it's a gamble and was surprised the last few years when we did transatlantic starting in Europe that we were able to bring extra but never left from Southampton like this one is doing. Like your advice ; and Princess also said.... if you bring more than 1 bottle; worst scenario is charge of $15. per bottle. Thanks; Love how helpful everyone is on CC