Thinking of a Thomson Cruise for a change...

I never thought I would stray from P&O, I went on Thomson Dream last Christmas, ship was a bit old and frayed. No Wow factors. Pool was sea water, and you had to pay to use the Safe. When I got on the ship I wanted to head back to the airport and go home !!!

By the end of the holiday I had totally changed and will always book with Thomson (Maybe not the Dream). Staff and people are just brilliant. The All Inclusive is excellent (bill on P&O was around £800.00 and Thomson £0.0). I'm booked on Discovery for this coming Christmas. only around 170 days. :-)

Interesting post, thankyou Longislandtea.

What was it that mase you change from P&O?

We have only sailed with P&O about 6 times now, very happy with them. A couple of things tipped my this time.

1. We had a cruise in mind that went just before the New Year, the reason being is I need to use some of the Christmas leave to be able to get a two week holiday. The price when I first look on-line for a balcony was £2200pp, I hadn't got the leave approved at the time, when I did the price had gone to £2400pp, I help back and it's currently £2900pp. When you add all the extras I really couldn't justify the cost.

2. We have been to all but 1 Island before, and I like to see something new everytime. Thomson seem to have a wider list of locations. The one we have choses, and I think we get on as you get off, is the Paradise Islands followed by Seven Islands and we haven't been to Bequia, one I particularily want to go to, Guadeloupe (Death In Paradise Island), Puerto Rico and St Thomas. The other we have been know well and like.

So in the end P&O probably have done me a favour by pricing me out the market.

Looking forward to it already.

Keith (Southend)

:)

One of the differences between p&o and Thomson is more port days and longer in port. You are given the info on arrival time so it's easier to sort out private trips etc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One of the differences between p&o and Thomson is more port days and longer in port. You are given the info on arrival time so it's easier to sort out private trips etc

Yes the times are shown on the booking documentation.

Regarding booking excursions with Thomson, I've not seen anything yet, but do you get the full list that can pre-book prior to departure?

Keith (Southend)

Go onto the website, on main cruise page about 1/3 way down on left hand side there is icon for shore excursions, put in booking ref, date etc there will be a list there. They might not be available to book yet but gives you a good idea.

I find the Thomson website a bit clunky, you don't have a CP like on p&o, it's a different section to put your API in, when you book shore excursions you get an email but it doesn't show on your account! Also if you have booked upgrade on the plane you can book your seats now, if you have gone for select your seats it's 90 days before return flight. If that's the case, work out the date and make a note of it. You will get a reminder email but it's usually 2-3 after! If you want to select your cabin it's a phone call and £45

Hi Southendweather, Did Paradise Islands and Seven Shores this spring and you really don't need to book any Thomson excursions unless there is something specific you want to see. All the ports of call have taxis waiting and charge around $20 per person. Caribbean is the best and easiest place for DIY trips. You mention Bequia, we thought it was gorgeous but some weren't too keen. It's like you'd expect the Caribbean to be 40 years ago but for us this was the charm. No high rise hotels, just a lovely beach and plenty of laid back bars. You will have a lovely time:)

Interesting post, thankyou Longislandtea.

What was it that mase you change from P&O?

We have only sailed with P&O about 6 times now, very happy with them. A couple of things tipped my this time.

1. We had a cruise in mind that went just before the New Year, the reason being is I need to use some of the Christmas leave to be able to get a two week holiday. The price when I first look on-line for a balcony was £2200pp, I hadn't got the leave approved at the time, when I did the price had gone to £2400pp, I help back and it's currently £2900pp. When you add all the extras I really couldn't justify the cost.

2. We have been to all but 1 Island before, and I like to see something new everytime. Thomson seem to have a wider list of locations. The one we have choses, and I think we get on as you get off, is the Paradise Islands followed by Seven Islands and we haven't been to Bequia, one I particularily want to go to, Guadeloupe (Death In Paradise Island), Puerto Rico and St Thomas. The other we have been know well and like.

So in the end P&O probably have done me a favour by pricing me out the market.

Looking forward to it already.

Keith (Southend)

:)

My reasons for switching to Thomson are similar to yours. Last year I wanted to use up holiday over Christmas. Being a Solo traveller P&O seem to charge you for 2 people (sorry I don't know the exact prices). I went on the Cuba Fusions and Mexico. Places I had not been with P&O. Thomson Ships are a little smaller and can get into the smaller ports. I was on the Dream, which is a bit of an old ship and was really disappointed when I got on the ship. Soon changed my mind when I met the staff and passengers. All very nice. I've been to all of the places on this years cruise, but the ship is a better spec. Price wise between P&O and Thomson is massive for a solo traveller over Christmas. (PS.... Bequia is Fab, I hope you love it too)

Just tried to compare the prices for Christmas & New Year.

P&O for me £5534 but it is a balcony

Thomson for me £3500 outside, Premium class flights, All Inclusive, more ports......

The price difference is not so much at other times, but generally Thomson are around £500-600 cheaper and all inclusive.

I think a good decision made on this one. We have had inside with P&O for the last 4 cruises and will have on our next one in August to Iceland, but I don't imagine the door to the balcony will be open much :-) Whereas, my wife really fancied it again for the caribbean as we likr to sit there with a drink and watch the world go by. The All Inclusive is much better as I am the sort that likes to pay up front and not come home with a dept. We're not big drinkers but, G&T's, Whiskey & Coke and a glass of house red with my evening meal sounds good. ALso like a Pina Colarda when out in the sun.

What sort of extra charge are the speciality restaurants?

I'd like to find out what Thomson charge for WiFi internet and how what the package is. P&O did improve this service last time we went as I paid £130 for 24/7 WiFi internet which I could use with my Netbook and phone.

Keith (Southend)

My reasons for switching to Thomson are similar to yours. Last year I wanted to use up holiday over Christmas. Being a Solo traveller P&O seem to charge you for 2 people (sorry I don't know the exact prices). I went on the Cuba Fusions and Mexico. Places I had not been with P&O. Thomson Ships are a little smaller and can get into the smaller ports. I was on the Dream, which is a bit of an old ship and was really disappointed when I got on the ship. Soon changed my mind when I met the staff and passengers. All very nice. I've been to all of the places on this years cruise, but the ship is a better spec. Price wise between P&O and Thomson is massive for a solo traveller over Christmas. (PS.... Bequia is Fab, I hope you love it too)

Hi....really interested to hear this. I've travelled to Caribbean with P&O for the last 5 years as a solo traveller. Ports are getting a little stale, so thinking of trying Thomson next year. Sounds like it's all positives......anything that you prefer with P&O that's missing with Thomson? Tough decision for me especially as I've built up a whole crowd of friends on P&O, many of whom travel to Caribbean each year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Hi....really interested to hear this. I've travelled to Caribbean with P&O for the last 5 years as a solo traveller. Ports are getting a little stale, so thinking of trying Thomson next year. Sounds like it's all positives......anything that you prefer with P&O that's missing with Thomson? Tough decision for me especially as I've built up a whole crowd of friends on P&O, many of whom travel to Caribbean each year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I did like the All Inclusive - the wine waiter never seems to let your glass get empty and over Christmas and the New Year, this was great. There was also a free ice cream !!!

There were a few negative things, but may not bother most people.

The pool was sea water, but did get emptied and re-filled every day.

You had to pay to use the Safe, but I think this is just on Dream

Cleaning could have been better

On the Dream they seemed to shut the roof to often for my liking (I don't mind sitting in the rain) but us passengers had a little rota for calling reception to get it opened again.

Food was nice - on P&O I would nearly always eat in the glass house, on Dream I stayed in the main dinning room - no fixed times expect on New Years Day.

Waiters did chuck someone out of the Dinning Room on a Smart night (they had just a vest and shorts). For me this was a good thing.

The lifts on Dream are small and maybe a problem for people with mobility issues. I think it will be ok on other ships.

On the Dream, they did enforce a 30 min rule for sunbeds (great fun to watch :evilsmile: ) its was often more like a hour in reality.

On the Discoveries the safes are free and on Dis1 they kept the Glasshouse roof firmly closed. As it is air conditioned it was a welcome place to cool down on hot days.

Hopefully Discovery has a separate pool that is outside and the roof is not closed. I think I would cancel my booking if I had to spend time in-side. :cool:

Hopefully Discovery has a separate pool that is outside and the roof is not closed. I think I would cancel my booking if I had to spend time in-side. :cool:

The main pool is outside, but the glass house pool area really is a very nice relaxing area.

I never thought I would stray from P&O, I went on Thomson Dream last Christmas, ship was a bit old and frayed. No Wow factors. Pool was sea water, and you had to pay to use the Safe. When I got on the ship I wanted to head back to the airport and go home !!!

By the end of the holiday I had totally changed and will always book with Thomson (Maybe not the Dream). Staff and people are just brilliant. The All Inclusive is excellent (bill on P&O was around £800.00 and Thomson £0.0). I'm booked on Discovery for this coming Christmas. only around 170 days. :-)

I forgot to mention - Tips are included in the price for Thomson