M class penthouse balcony question

emelle

Know this is an easy answer for those of you who have sailed in the M class penthouse, but I cannot seem to find the answer, neither here nor on youtube.

What is that square area on the balcony, towards the side, rimmed by glass panels? Looks like maybe a stairway going down? But what? and why?

Thanks….want to book this cabin on a future cruise and this is just a question I cannot answer!

Thanks, emelle

Know this is an easy answer for those of you who have sailed in the M class penthouse, but I cannot seem to find the answer, neither here nor on youtube.

What is that square area on the balcony, towards the side, rimmed by glass panels? Looks like maybe a stairway going down? But what? and why?

Thanks….want to book this cabin on a future cruise and this is just a question I cannot answer!

Thanks, emelle

It is a service stair area. We have done 3 M class PH cruises and only once seen a crew member on it. I am unsure exactly where it goes to. It isn't part of the PH escape route or anything....We didn't notice it after the first day, it certainly doesn't spoil your view! It didn't spoil our enjoyment of the PH. The balcony really is wonderful!

As above, it's just a service area and the door at the top is securely locked shut.

We did once see/hear a couple of staff talking at the bottom of the flight of stairs but soon forgot it was there.

Thank you! I knew someone here would be able to clarify for me. Not worried about noise etc or figured I would have read about it in reviews.

Now if I can only snag the penthouse on the cruise I want! Very popular it seems and while I think ahead, I have not thought far enough on this cruise I have in mind. The new web site and my aging laptop don't make things easier. Plan to task the TA with a search soon.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The stair are, according to the signage, part of the escape route for crew. They direct them to the balcony separator towards the adjoining Sky suite.

During a Panama Canal cruise the second pilot and a crew member will be at the controls at the bottom of the stairs,

We sailed in the Summit PH last year and will again in a couple of weeks and after day 1 never even noticed the stairs. It's said to be for crew, but we never saw anyone using it.

Agree 100% with Happy Cruiser, it's one of the nicest suites out there.

The balcony is just amazing! Half the time I had to beg my DH to get up off his lounge chair and get his butt out of the suite!

We have an S-class PH booked in 2019 and I already feel like I might be a little let down by the balcony!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We sailed in the Summit PH last year and will again in a couple of weeks and after day 1 never even noticed the stairs. It's said to be for crew, but we never saw anyone using it.

Agree 100% with Happy Cruiser, it's one of the nicest suites out there.

The balcony is just amazing! Half the time I had to beg my DH to get up off his lounge chair and get his butt out of the suite!

We have an S-class PH booked in 2019 and I already feel like I might be a little let down by the balcony!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We recently did our first S class PH after many S class RS cruises whilst always doing PH on M class...It was following advice from a certain CC member we decided to 'take the plunge' for our Fjiords cruise.

Whilst the balcony is no where near as big as the M class it is big enough! Inside we loved the light and space of the S PH. Also the views from inside the S class PH are better than the views from inside an M class PH where your windows are some distance from the back of the ship. Another benefit of the S PH is it is central for facilities and stability. Whilst the S class RS still actually provides us with everything we need there is a wonderful spacious decadence about the PH! We are so glad we tried it and would love to do it again if the price was right!

Here is our YouTube video/photo compilation of PH 6147 on board the Constellation (M-Class) - you will be able to see the entire balcony (and the stair case that you mention - which really becomes non-existent!)

Heather

We recently did our first S class PH after many S class RS cruises whilst always doing PH on M class...It was following advice from a certain CC member we decided to 'take the plunge' for our Fjiords cruise.

Whilst the balcony is no where near as big as the M class it is big enough! Inside we loved the light and space of the S PH. Also the views from inside the S class PH are better than the views from inside an M class PH where your windows are some distance from the back of the ship. Another benefit of the S PH is it is central for facilities and stability. Whilst the S class RS still actually provides us with everything we need there is a wonderful spacious decadence about the PH! We are so glad we tried it and would love to do it again if the price was right!

chemmo said almost everything (which is good because I am the guilty CC member). All I would like to add is that, IMHO, although the S-class PH does not have the huge balcony with the wake views or the separate butler's pantry and entrance or the full size fridge/freezer with water dispenser, it has a much better design. The layout and flow are so much better than the M-class PH. I love the S-class PH and my husband loves the M-class one but we can both be forced to accept 'second-best' if we have to.

chemmo said almost everything (which is good because I am the guilty CC member). All I would like to add is that, IMHO, although the S-class PH does not have the huge balcony with the wake views or the separate butler's pantry and entrance or the full size fridge/freezer with water dispenser, it has a much better design. The layout and flow are so much better than the M-class PH. I love the S-class PH and my husband loves the M-class one but we can both be forced to accept 'second-best' if we have to.

It is in some ways wonderful that the M and S class PH are so different. We really did find them both very special but in many ways not comparable....

In a warm climate where we plan to spend lots of time on deck our preference would be the M class, on a longer voyage with more variable seas and weather the S class would win...

Thanks again Sue (Project gal) for your reviews and thoughts...you really helped us design a holiday of a lifetime when, owing to medical issues, our choices had been really reduced....

I am very much looking forward to our August 20th sailing on the Summit in PS 6147. I have had the pleasure of sailing nearly 30 times, mostly on HAL in a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite. I sailed on the Mercury in a PS many years ago. So looking forward to a week of nothing but rest and relaxation and enjoying this suite and the wonderful verandah. We are looking forward to just the two of us, no entertaining, no place to be and enjoying the suite and the cruise.

We hardly noticed the stair area when we were on board the Constellation. The only part you had to look out for was a small raised step around it. My DH found it a few times with his big toe.

Loved this suite and would love to sail in again. We will have a CS next cruise. We will love it just as much as we know how lucky we are to be able sail in these suites.

Thank you Heather. Loved the you tube. We have a Penthouse booked on Connie in September and can't wait watching that. Really looking forward to the sailaways, especially Venice.

Sue

We were invited to a sail-away from the Helipad out of Venice. We politely and graciously declined, as we were having a sail-away party for our "Cabin Crawl Hosts". The MCC said at the time, good choice! your view will be second to none. She was right!

Heather