Grand Dry (or Wet) Dock in Oct/Nov ???

Susie

Is the Grand really going into dry (or wet) dock in October or November? I would be relieved to hear that it is as it sounds like it really, really needs it. We're booked on the November 20th sailing out of Galveston and I was thinking about changing to another Princess ship if it is really as "worn" as so many posts say it is. Thanks for any info!

Susie -- our party is booked on the Grand's Galveston inaugural cruise 11/08, and we share the same concerns. I read on this board somewhere that she is scheduled for 'wetdock' the week before our cruise (last week of Oct/first week of Nov). But, I'm not sure if this information has been verified. I think we may just need to call Princess and ask them, but not sure if they will release that info or not?

I don't really know what to believe based on what I've read here on the boards. Some cruisers who have just sailed her in April/May say she looks great...while others say she looks shabby. ?????

Grand Princess 11/04

This would interest me alot although I will not be boarding this vessel until September 2005.

I was on The Sun earlier this year on a nineteen day cruise and although kept very clean it needed dry dock which it is going into in the fall.

Do not wont a repeat especially as this ship will be on the other side of the world far from home in The Greek Islands.

So please anyone who is in the know, let us know about this please,please,please.

I performed a search on the Grand's October/November sailing dates just to see what might come up. I did not see a sailing listed for the first week of November. It looks like she sails from New York on a round trip itinerary on October 24th and then the next posted sailing is from Galveston on November 8th. On the Princess page, it shows the November 8th sailing out of Galveston as being a 5 night sailing and then she starts doing 7 night sailings on November 13th. Hopefully, the week of October 31st - November 8th will be her revamp week, however, there's got to be some travel time for her to get from New York to Galveston, too. Hopefully will hear something from someone that really knows.

Thanks for the information, West Coast, and I'm sorry your cruise was cancelled. This might be good news, however, for those of us that are anxious about her weary condition. Thanks again!

We had similar concerns for the Princess Diamond, they are needing to change their wet dock scheduled in December to a dry dock to do final repairs for the recent accident to the propeller. No one at Princess will verify that they have been able to make the switch. If not able to switch, they will need to cancel a cruise according to their statement made to Cruise News Daily. Because ours was the transition cruise between Alaska and Mexico, and we had already booked our airfare, we just could not hold off any longer to find out or risk loosing our money we spent for airfare. We were really looking forward to our Princess Cruise but have changed and will be going on Norweigen this time, just to be on the safe side. Almost the same coastal cruise but Norweigen has two additional days. We will be back to Princess, at some time, for sure.

Carnival Spirit-Hawaii

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2003;10;6;13;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

We're booked on the 11/08 sailing of the Grand and some of the online sites still don't even show the 5 day sailing at all. I just hope they have everything done that they need to do. The first cruise from any where is kind of scary any way, not knowing if the crew has their routine down.

Julie

mjcrober@yahoo.com

Fantasy 12/03

Splendour of the Seas 3/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;11;8;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600  until our first time on Princess

Grand Princess 11/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;7;30;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600  until our family cruise

Ecstasy 7/05

Camreesmom -- the crew should be acclimated to the Western Caribbean route, as the Grand has sailed this itinerary for some time. Only the port of departure is different.

I hope the wet dock IS the week before our cruise 11/08, so she's like new!

Grand Princess 11/04

The plans for now are for the Grand to go into "wetdock" October 30th. While there she will be outfitted with the new poolside movie screen, and the new Sterling Steakhouse will be completed. All of this work will commence the minute everyone disembarks in New York.greenwinky.gif

Grandeur 11/13/04 FantaSea Cruise click here

Grand Princess-11/27/2004-Click Here

JOHN MENDENHALL

Camreesmom- You have a good point about the crew. Thats why we opted for the November 27th cruise. The crew has a tendency to change when a ship is repositioned. It usually takes about two weeks for them to become proficient. I am more concerned about the embarkation process though. Boarding was a complete fiasco when the NCL SEA moved back to Houston, and the NCL DREAM recycled back to New Orleans. For the first boarding anyway. I would suggest that the November 8th cruisers get there early. Hey I am not trying to alarm anyone. Just giving y'all a heads up.auskosten.gif

Grandeur 11/13/04 FantaSea Cruise click here

Grand Princess-11/27/2004-Click Here

JOHN MENDENHALL

It's not just the crew, it's the shore services. I think we've seen some examples of early-season glitches in Alaska and Europe that have been reported here. Be prepared for slow embarkation, transportation difficulties, and other logistical problems. Your patience might be tested a little, but don't let it get your cruise off to a bad start.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

I posted this on a new topic...

Very interesting:

There is an add in the travel section that says:Quote

"Movies Under Stars Now on Grand Princess* From Galveston"

When I found the * it says for the December 11, 2004 sailing. Also the rate sound good: $899 balcony $1099 mini .. icon_biggrin.gif

Happy Sailing

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;03;12;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Grand Princess 03-12-2005 click here for our roll

San Antionio Cruisers click here for roll call

Archived