Veteran Cruise Director "Abandons Ship"

PopFla

Brent Davies, one of DCL's first Cruise Directors, left the cruise line about a year ago and is now happily ensconced in a new role at Disneyland.

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/the-morning-show/video/watch/35368313/the-aussie-boss-of-disneyland/#page1

Yeah, I knew that.

We had Brent for our first 3 cruises on DCL, and just love him. Also met his wife Yolanda on one of the cruises (she was a head server).

Brent Davies, one of DCL's first Cruise Directors, left the cruise line about a year ago and is now happily ensconced in a new role at Disneyland.

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/the-morning-show/video/watch/35368313/the-aussie-boss-of-disneyland/#page1

I miss Christian's voice, but I know he moved on to bigger and better things in the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

He's the gold standard for me. CD on my first cruise and now when I hear the chime I think "That's not Brent!".

Same - he was our first CD and we had him on three subsequent cruises. I do the same thing with the chimes. A very distinct voice.

Well, the only problem with this post is that it depends on your definition of "one of the first." Brent held several other positions at DCL before being promoted to CD and several others attained the title of "CD" before Brent. But you can always make a trip to Disneyland and hope to see him in California Adventure.

I suspect he discovered, as have several others, that even a high ranking job at sea is difficult to the parent of school age children.

He's the gold standard for me. CD on my first cruise and now when I hear the chime I think "That's not Brent!".

That would make Jim Urrey the platinum standard :D We sailed with him twice before he was promoted on shore. I truly believe you can credit him for the excellent rosters of CDs that followed, like Brent, Christiaan and Clayton.

Funny, I just realized that Scott Saunders' Disney Cruise Blog had a list of CDs past and present and Jim Urrey isn't even mentioned. He was the first when the Magic launched.

Right--we had Jim' date=' Jacqui, Cara, etc. early on.....Christiaan started out as a stage performer, others started in various on board positions before earning their stripes.[/quote']

I wasn't even familiar with some of the names on Scott's page. We've had Jim, Christiaan, Brent, Leslie and Clayton. The best thing I can say is none are my favorite, because they were all fantastic. Always took the time to chat when you ran into them walking around, and great entertainers.

Yes, there are names on the blog that I'm not familiar with (although most of them I've cruised with either as a CD or when they were ACD.) There are definitely some missing from the early years though! Unfortunately, we do have favorites....and some have grown in their roles over the years. For example, Peter improved greatly when he started being himself and quit imitating Christiaan. Jacqui is one that we hated to see leave (she was in the very early bunch and a favorite of my daughter). They are each different in personality and how they do the job, but most are lots of fun and great people.

• 5 months later...
That would make Jim Urrey the platinum standard :D We sailed with him twice before he was promoted on shore. I truly believe you can credit him for the excellent rosters of CDs that followed, like Brent, Christiaan and Clayton.

Funny, I just realized that Scott Sanders' Disney Cruise Blog had a list of CDs past and present and Jim Urrey isn't even mentioned. He was the first when the Magic launched.

Jim has since been added. I will admit, the overall list is incomplete. The list started as I was adding them to my database when processing personal navigators. I was including the captain and cd when the information was provided by the individual sharing the navigators.