Specialty dining packages - Anthem OTS

Booked Anthem OTS, December 22 sailing - aka RCCL "holiday" cruise. We won't be celebrating any holiday but the date worked and we're not only looking forward to the cruise but also to the convenience of leaving from Bayonne, a mere 40 minute drive from home. Have left from NY/NJ many times and nothing beats not having to fly, especially during prime time! When we booked, I asked about specialty dining packages and was told to expect them to become available in Cruise Planner 60 - 100 days prior to sail date.

Flash forward a few months and today I called RCCL about something totally unrelated. Before hanging up, I asked the rep about the specialty dining packages. Much to my surprise, he told me RCCL doesn't offer any dining packages on any holiday sailing but to keep checking Cruise Planner in case they do. Huh?

I have to wonder why they wouldn't offer packages. As focused as they are on profit centers and the bottom line (they are, after all, in business to turn a profit!), they already add a premium to the fare for the privilege of sailing on a holiday. I would expect there to be fewer guests opting for specialty restaurants without the availability of packages.

So which is it? Do they offer packages on holiday sailings or don't they?

They will make more money on Specialty Dining by not offering discounted packages and having people book the restaurants at full price.

Yes, but only if the same number of people who would otherwise buy a discounted package are willing to book the same number of nights at the full price.

Am also booked on this cruise. Took the same one back in 2015 when they still had DD. Made reservations for each night so it felt like something other than the MDR each night. Even ended up with Silk (the former Asian cuisine restaurant) for Christmas dinner, so it really was like being home (we have a traditional Jewish Christmas dinner each year, which means Chinese food!).

Now that they have done away with DD, and we're on MTD, if we keep the cruise, I might book a few specialty dinners, but only with some booking specials. We have BOGO for my mom's D+ status, and another one from a booking incentive. Wonder if they'll offer FNDR for that sailing.

Even ended up with Silk (the former Asian cuisine restaurant) for Christmas dinner, so it really was like being home (we have a traditional Jewish Christmas dinner each year, which means Chinese food!).

Wonder if the Chinese restaurant will miss us this year!

FNDR?