Vegetarian Options?

CruisingUS

I am a meat eater. But I have a lot of friends who are vegetarian.

I was wondering if anyone can speak to the quality and options for vegetarians on Celebrity.

I will direct them to this page later when this topic comes up in real life.

Thanks.

Well, I'll just say. I am a vegetarian and have plenty to eat on Celebrity. When in doubt about a particular item just ask. Remember some people think vegetarian includes fish, so don't be surprised if you are offered a fish dish when you tell a waiter that you are vegetarian. Also, some think vegetarians eat dairy products and eggs. Be very clear with the waiter what your diet limitations are.

It might be tougher for a true vegan as it always seems to be in almost any restaurant because the requirements for vegan meals are much stricter.

The one thing that Celebrity does REALLY well is customizing your food requirements/ preferences. During each of our last 4 cruises on Celebrity, we were travelling with family members/ friends who were vegetarian. The Oceanview Cafe buffet has a wide variety of vegetarian dishes, across multiple cuisines. However even in the MDR, the staff was very eager to please. They noticed that DW did not enjoy the limited vegetarian continental dishes. They had a chef come out and ask us each night, what we wanted for the next meal in the MDR. We thought this was above and beyond anyone's duties and made sure that this feedback went to the right people. Celebrity really won us over with their awesome attitude.

Don't forget to try the vegetarian burger in the Mast Grill, DW loves it.

Cheers!

Nick

The one thing that Celebrity does REALLY well is customizing your food requirements/ preferences. During each of our last 4 cruises on Celebrity, we were travelling with family members/ friends who were vegetarian. The Oceanview Cafe buffet has a wide variety of vegetarian dishes, across multiple cuisines. However even in the MDR, the staff was very eager to please. They noticed that DW did not enjoy the limited vegetarian continental dishes. They had a chef come out and ask us each night, what we wanted for the next meal in the MDR. We thought this was above and beyond anyone's duties and made sure that this feedback went to the right people. Celebrity really won us over with their awesome attitude.

Don't forget to try the vegetarian burger in the Mast Grill, DW loves it.

Cheers!

Nick

Wow. That is impressive. I have yet to see that kind of exp yet.

On another CL, others have had issues with the salt level. Very little was done to accommodate that person. That person just ended up dumping a lot of food as they could not eat it for medical reasons. Good to hear that X is willing to go out of their way to help. I have yet to sail with X, so I am looking forward to it. I am in the process of trying to convince my friends to come, so this is good news.

I was wondering if anyone can speak to the quality and options for vegetarians on Celebrity.

Thanks.

There is a nightly separate vegetarian menu in the MDR which has a few more options than the main menu (but you may need to ask the Maitre 'd about this as not all wait staff know about it). Cheers!

We always ate at Blu on our May Equinox cruise this year and were told by our waiter that the vegetarian menu was no longer available. I have no idea why and was very disappointed as my choices were way more limited than the year before.

Thanks.

I am a plant eater and if you're talking about the Summit I would say they had some of the best vegetarian dishes of any cruise I've been on. Since I'm not a true vegetarian or vegan I order off the menu choosing meatless dishes, but they also have a vegetarian menu if you ask for it.

As for the veggie burgers at Mast Grill....yes, Nick, they certainly are!!

There was still a separate vegetarian menu last month on Eclipse. Be aware that dependent on your 'vegetarian' limits Celebrity carry no vegetarian cheese. By that I mean all their cheese contains animal rennet which is why they have just recently removed all cheese from that separate vegetarian menu as they were offering a vegetarian menu that contained meat products. I know because our communications with the Managing Director in the UK got that changed. They are also looking to get their suppliers to provide vegetarian cheeses as they have discovered they can actually be less expensive so they may reintroduce cheese back onto their vegetarian menu at some stage.

The buffet has very little marked on the dish labels that is vegetarian but you just have to use common sense. The vegetarian pizza in the Oceanview uses the same non vegetarian cheese. Many desserts contain animal gelatine. The pasta station is a good choice. Omelettes are cooked in the same pans unless you are very clear that you want a clean pan.

The mast grill has vegetarian burgers but they are cooked on the same grill as the meat burgers and trying to get them to use different utensils for turning and serving them can be time consuming.

Just for clarity, a vegetarian does eat dairy products but not anything for which an animal died, e.g. The animal rennet in the cheese they use. I understood the OP to be asking about vegetarian foods and not vegan (no eggs, no dairy).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork