Help me pick a beach - St Thomas

SSMcruises

Good Morning Everyone,

I am on information overload right now and need some help.

We (4 adults and 2 children) are arriving on the Escape on November 14 and looking for a simple beach day. We have a private charter booked for Tortola the next day and Atlantis booked for Bahamas at the end of the week and want one day that is super easy and relaxing. Here are our (ok, mine, but I am the one planning this!!!) priorities;

- easy access from port, MAX 10-20 minutes transportation

- bathrooms

- chair rentals

- food and drink

- off beach snorkeling (equipment rentals not needed)

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Thanks Bill ! And I was afraid of that!

What beach would you recommend if transportation time wasn't a consideration? I should also have said that crowds are huge negative....after spending 2 sea days with 4000+ people it would be nice to have a little space :)

Thanks Bill ! And I was afraid of that!

What beach would you recommend if transportation time wasn't a consideration? I should also have said that crowds are huge negative....after spending 2 sea days with 4000+ people it would be nice to have a little space :)

I hear ya on wanting a little space!

For decent off-the-beach snorkeling, no big crowds, and the other amenities, your best choices are Sapphire and Secret Harbor. I know Bill doesn't like me sending people to "his beach" but I have to recommend Sapphire! It's $11pp each way for the taxi and a ~30 min drive, but oh so worth it. Bill can direct you to the best snorkel spots.

Can I ask who you are chartered with on Tortola? That will be a great day I'm sure!

We booked with Mitch / Ocean Magic.

And thanks for the advice on Sapphire - We will most likely end up there. With there being 6 of us it looks to be $132 just in transportation...would pre booking a private driver be better??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good Morning Everyone,

I am on information overload right now and need some help.

We (4 adults and 2 children) are arriving on the Escape on November 14 and looking for a simple beach day. We have a private charter booked for Tortola the next day and Atlantis booked for Bahamas at the end of the week and want one day that is super easy and relaxing. Here are our (ok, mine, but I am the one planning this!!!) priorities;

- easy access from port, MAX 10-20 minutes transportation

- bathrooms

- chair rentals

- food and drink

- off beach snorkeling (equipment rentals not needed)

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

I'd suggest Megan's Bay, there is a beautiful beach there.. BUT, I'm not sure if it's within driving distance where your ship will dock. We've been there twice. Just thought I'd throw out the suggestion.

Mac

We booked with Mitch / Ocean Magic.

And thanks for the advice on Sapphire - We will most likely end up there. With there being 6 of us it looks to be $132 just in transportation...would pre booking a private driver be better??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes the taxi can be pricey for a family. There is the $2 taxi/bus option but I wouldn't recommend that on a cruise stop because of the walk and potential wait times as they are often full.

We've not booked a taxi ahead so cannot comment on that. I know Dean's Taxi and others provide private tours, not sure if you could work something out with them for drop off and pick up? But I would expect them to be busy serving other clients on tours...

Magens is a nice, calm beach but no snorkeling there and there is a small entry fee...

The $2 public safari doesn't go to Magens or anywhere near.

Taxi rates, for both public and private trips, are set by govt though there are some drivers who violate and may offer discounts. Offering discounts can create conflicts, though, if other taxi drivers catch the driver.

The $2 public safari doesn't go to Magens or anywhere near.

Taxi rates, for both public and private trips, are set by govt though there are some drivers who violate and may offer discounts. Offering discounts can create conflicts, though, if other taxi drivers catch the driver.

The note on the $2 safari was in reference to the discussion on transportation to Sapphire, not Magens. Magens isn't a good snorkel option and that is one of SSM's criteria.

A beach not often mentioned is Elysian Beach (Cowper Bay). There are boats moored there, but I've read reports of good snorkel spots there, and there is a beach bar and restrooms but not sure about lounges. Sapphire would still be our first choice...

Nice choice for Tortola SSM - enjoy! ;)