Florida to Rome

Sherry H

Will be looking at one way...........Florida to Rome..........Fall of 2018.

Will be buying a round trip ticket LAS to FLL. Will be staying a few days in Florida before taking our one way flight to Rome.

Our cruise begins in Rome and returns to Fort Lauderdale.

Will be looking at one way...........Florida to Rome..........Fall of 2018.

Will be buying a round trip ticket LAS to FLL. Will be staying a few days in Florida before taking our one way flight to Rome.

Our cruise begins in Rome and returns to Fort Lauderdale.

No one has flight information, schedules or pricing for "fall of 2018" yet. Also, is there some special reason why you are going to Florida both before your cruise as well as on the return? There's no need to book at R/T to/from LAS - you could also go LAS-FCO and FLL/MIA-LAS.

What would be my options to find a reasonable cost airline and flight

First off, what you would consider to be reasonable may or may not mesh with A) what others consider reasonable or B) what is realistic.

Second, when you find a flight booking option that is significantly cheaper than other options, it usually comes at a cost, such as limited rebooking options if the flight gets delayed or canceled, inability to choose seats in advance or check bags, tc.

That said, there is no single magic trick that will always yield the best price but there are lots of options to explore, such as:

• booking airfare through the cruiseline (they often sell consolidator-type tickets that can be much cheaper, though they often come with restrictions)
  • booking airfare through an independent consolidator
  • booking airfare through a travel agent who specializes in doing the legwork for you to find a deal (usually for a fee, as they don't generally get a commission from the airline)
  • regularly checking airline websites in hopes of happening upon a day when additional inventory of lower fare bucket tickets is released
  • considering airlines other than US legacy airlines. Some that are known for frequently being less expensive, particularly for one way flights include Air Berlin, Iceland Air and Turkish Air. These will require a connection, as none fly nonstop from southern Florida to Rome, but if the price is right....
  • booking a ticket into a city other than Rome, and either taking a European low cost carrier or a train to Rome
  • flying to Europe from somewhere other than southern Florida. Just because your cruise will end up there later doesn't mean you have to fly from there to begin with unless you have particular reasons for wanting to spend time in Florida. There are loads of nonstop flights to Europe from Chicago, New York, Atlanta, Philly, Detroit, Los Angeles etc.
  • booking a ticket with multiple connections
  • using miles to book a ticket
  • converting credit card points to miles to book a ticket

So.........the reason I don't want to fly Las Vegas to Rome is because the older I get the more difficult those long flights become. Would rather fly to FLL.....stay at least one night and then continue on to Rome. I can find very reasonably priced round trip tickets from LAS to FLL.

I know I can't purchase tickets for Fall of 2018 yet. Was just hoping someone taking the same cruise in 2017 would have some info on their experience.

So.........the reason I don't want to fly Las Vegas to Rome is because the older I get the more difficult those long flights become. Would rather fly to FLL.....stay at least one night and then continue on to Rome. I can find very reasonably priced round trip tickets from LAS to FLL.

I know I can't purchase tickets for Fall of 2018 yet. Was just hoping someone taking the same cruise in 2017 would have some info on their experience.

Let's give you a little tip that you can take with you.

You don't have to go to FLL to "break up" the long flights. In fact, that's actually spending a lot more time on the aircrafts. And likely spending more money. Without getting into routings, let's just look at non-stop distances. From LAS to FCO, it's 6128 miles. But from FLL, you still have to fly 5167 miles, and to get to FLL is another 2174. So you fly an extra 1213 miles just to go that way.

Also, you have an international "trick" available to you. On international itineraries, you have have a connection of up to 24 hours WITHOUT "breaking" the fare into two separate fares (which is usually higher in cost). So, if you want to stay overnight, better to do so at a point along a more direct flight path. Denver and Minneapolis are two that come to mind. Both would then give you international service across the pond, and you could have a connect to further your break time.

The Great Circle Mapper is a nifty tool to see just how far flights go, and to see what the great circle paths are between airports. Here's a LINK to show you want the difference is between LAS to FCO and going via FLL. You can play with this to see just how you would travel.

Flyer Talker.........thank you so much for the link!

Will spend some time today looking at my possibilities.

I actually live in St George, Utah which is 2 hours north of Las Vegas. Our St George airport has flights to Denver (United) Salt Lake (Delta) and Phoenix (American) Usually less expensive to drive to Las Vegas and fly from there. We have a place to leave our car at no charge.