Booked late notice on Splendor.... need advice

Well, late notice for us anyway, a month out. Heading out on a last minute trip with 20 and 18 yr old before they head off to college. I haven't done much and don't have time to do much research. This is the 6 night sailing, Nassau, Half Moon, Grand Turk and Amber Cover.

Any tips, hints, must dos and don't dos you can give us would be appreciated. Planning on staying on the ship in Nassau. Will probably do an excursion of some sort on the others.

HMC is a relaxing beach day!! Even though your plan is to stay on the ship at Nassau, we went to the British Colonial Hilton. It's about a 15 minute walk from the pier. We paid 65.00 a person for a day pass and got 40.00 a person voucher for food and drink. We were able to use the beach, the pool, towels, kayaks, snorkel gear etc. The hotel was beautiful and met our beach day expectations. You can get the pass and prepay a deposit and save 5.00 a person but we walked in and bought ours the day we arrived. When we left, we strolled back to the ship, stopping at gift shops along the way. Amber Cove and Grand Turk are 2 ports we haven't been to but we are sailing there in May.

Have a great time!!

Grand Turk is rent a golf cart day. Safe to drive on this small island. Stop at beaches as you find them. Hunt the flamingos. Don't miss a fish sandwich at Sandbar restaurant (and their view!). Check out the small downtown and if you like beer....try a Turkshead.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

I would skip the excursion on Grand Turk, it is perfect to relax by the beach/pool. We did an excursion down there once and regretted it.

In May/June we stumbled upon a bar that was just opening, it was so new that it didn't have an official name yet! The owner was from the same area of Ohio as we were and was a super nice guy. He told me he was leaning towards calling it "Beaches." They had excellent beverage choices and a lot cheaper than Jacks or Margaritaville

I would skip the excursion on Grand Turk, it is perfect to relax by the beach/pool. We did an excursion down there once and regretted it.

In May/June we stumbled upon a bar that was just opening, it was so new that it didn't have an official name yet! The owner was from the same area of Ohio as we were and was a super nice guy. He told me he was leaning towards calling it "Beaches." They had excellent beverage choices and a lot cheaper than Jacks or Margaritaville

Where is the bar?

Is it on beach between dock and Jack's?

• 2 weeks later...

Just did this cruise July 2 through July 8. Great time. In Amber Cove, we hung out the sky bar and the huge pool. The pool was free to use.

In Grand Turk, if using the beach, be careful of the locals, they will try and charge you for the first two rows of beach chairs and umbrellas.

They set up in front of the free chairs and umbrellas.

Be sure to go out to the viewing area in the front of ship. This can be accessed through decks 6, 7 and 10. Just walk through the cabin area to the front, go out the doors to the left or right and there you go. Barely ever anyone out there. Night time was the best.

Well, late notice for us anyway, a month out. Heading out on a last minute trip with 20 and 18 yr old before they head off to college. I haven't done much and don't have time to do much research. This is the 6 night sailing, Nassau, Half Moon, Grand Turk and Amber Cover.

Any tips, hints, must dos and don't dos you can give us would be appreciated. Planning on staying on the ship in Nassau. Will probably do an excursion of some sort on the others.

If you are beach/swimming pool people, you won't need an excursion at HMC, GT, nor AC. HMC has the best beach and is paradise. Grand Turk has a free beach as you exit the pier and also Margaritaville is right there with a free swimming pool. Amber Cove has a huge free pool with a lazy river type thing. You don't have to pay for chairs at any of these ports. It's likely too late to book a cabana, and that would be the only excursion I would consider in these 3 ports. I understand about not getting off the ship in Nassau. That's a great day to enjoy the ship while it's quiet.

Hope you have a great cruise.

The new bar is called Beached Whale Bar, but shows up on Google as South Beach Bar.

When you walk off the pier and through the welcome center, turn right and go down to the beach.

So what did you think about this bar? Did you enjoy spending time there?

I can never figure out why people would stay on board in Nassau. This is one of those great ports that has so much to do within walking distance. Beaches, shopping, restaurants, bars are all close and very nice. I have enjoyed Nassau every time I have been there. Definitely get off the ship in Nassau. I may give the British Colonial Hilton a try the next time I am there. That sound like a fun day.

I can never figure out why people would stay on board in Nassau. This is one of those great ports that has so much to do within walking distance. Beaches, shopping, restaurants, bars are all close and very nice. I have enjoyed Nassau every time I have been there. Definitely get off the ship in Nassau. I may give the British Colonial Hilton a try the next time I am there. That sound like a fun day.

We are staying on the ship because there is only 1 sea day that would present us the opportunity to explore the ship. We have been to Nassau several times so we will be using this as an opportunity to check out the ship while it isn't quite as crowded. To each their own

lurker, what day are you sailing? sounds like you could very well be on my sailing.

we also do not plan to get off the ship in naussau

I am on this cruise too. I am also on the "facey thing" page. Personally I love Nassau. I am a shopper and love all the stores. I now ride a scooter so not sure how easy it will be to get around. I know the Straw Market is out of the question. In the past we have taken a little shuttle boat over to Paradise Island and walked around Atlantis. Not sure if they still have that.

The only time we stay on the ship is if I can't get off with my scooter. We are at Nassau for 8 hours so a little exploring is in order for us.

We also booked last minute. Like last week. We are on Nassau for 8 hours. You should explore a little while. There is a "Facey +++ Booky" page that isn't too hard to figure out the page name.

On our Splendor cruise in May, we weren't particularly thrilled with visiting Nassau, but we chose to take a 15 minute walk to Junkanoo beach. Free beach access with some good food choices. We absolutely loved the jerk chicken! This was a really nice way to spend a couple of hours on the island. We still made it back onto the ship with plenty of time to enjoy and explore before the masses came back from their excursions. We got into the hot tubs with no problems because the ship was still pretty empty!

On our Splendor cruise in May, we weren't particularly thrilled with visiting Nassau, but we chose to take a 15 minute walk to Junkanoo beach. Free beach access with some good food choices. We absolutely loved the jerk chicken!

Just what we do now. Richard really knows how to fix that chicken and the beers are cold for me and the Pina Collada is just right for my DW. :D

Hi

Doesn't look like you need to do much research. Let's see...beach day, beach, day, beach day, beach day.

I just love swimming in the ocean. Even if I wanted to spend the day on the ship, I would make some time to go for a swim. Ship pools aren't quite the same.

As you say, to each their own.

have a great cruise