Oasis Cruise Newbie - Get the Drink Package or No...?

Hi All,

Heading out to sea on the Oasis on 7/16 and trying to determine if it's worth pre-purchasing the drink package. When we booked the cruise initially it was part of a deal whereby we received $300 in onboard credit. However, I'm just not sure how expensive the drinks are and how far that we'll be able to stretch that $300?

We're not big beer drinkers and plan to bring on a bottle of wine per adult. Enjoy cocktails such as soda/gin or soda/vodka, and bourbon... Not big on drinking juice, but do enjoy coffee, and don't need to have bottled water as we're fine with tap or whatever other option is served. I've done some searching around and it the common response is "it depends on how much you plan on drinking each day." However, depending on price that may dictate how much we can drink ha!

Can someone pls point me to some sort of price listing of drinks? The drink card also sounds like another option but it seems like those dont get offered up until halfway through the cruise?

Also one other unrelated question... We are on deck 7 (rm 7148 which I believe is toward the middle/front)... I have a tendency to get seasick do you think I'll feel much motion from this location? Bringing Dramamine just in case.

thanks!

dave

You might bring ginger or ginger snaps if you don't want to risk getting sleepy from dramamine. Oasis is so huge that you shouldn't have any issues unless you encounter unusually rough seas.

Drinks will run anywhere from $8 to $15. The prevailing wisdom is if you will average 5 drinks each day, it's worth it.

You might bring ginger or ginger snaps if you don't want to risk getting sleepy from dramamine. Oasis is so huge that you shouldn't have any issues unless you encounter unusually rough seas.

Drinks will run anywhere from $8 to $15. The prevailing wisdom is if you will average 5 drinks each day, it's worth it.

Thanks for the quick reply! I think between my wife and I we'd definitely average more than 5 drinks a day... how strict are they with the drink packages... meaning if I just bought one could I order drinks for both my wife and I without buying her one? Is there a daily limit? Thanks for the tip on the ginger, will do!

Thanks for the quick reply! I think between my wife and I we'd definitely average more than 5 drinks a day... how strict are they with the drink packages... meaning if I just bought one could I order drinks for both my wife and I without buying her one? Is there a daily limit? Thanks for the tip on the ginger, will do!

No daily limit.

If you look at this thread, you will see what comes from sharing the drink package:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2518826

No, you can't share a drinks package.

The bartenders and waiters won't let you, so you'd have to sneak around and jump through a lot of hoops getting one drink here and another somewhere else. It also technically can lead to your package being cancelled without a refund.

Our practice is usually to not buy the package on a port-intensive cruise. It just seems unlikely we'll be onboard and drinking that much since we're not late night people.

On the Oasis next year we do plan to buy it as between sea days, Labadee (where it works ashore), and not really being sure how much time we'll spend off the boat in San Juan, we're likely get our use out of it once you add in drinks by the pool and grabbing bottles of water throughout the day.

DH and I were on Oasis in April; he bought the basic soda package and I was satisfied with the included drinks. I don't drink soda so their basic coffee, tea, and water offerings were perfect for me. We did buy one alcoholic drink during the week, and at $13/drink, we didn't feel the need to buy any more. We definitely would not have gotten our money's worth out of the packages. As other posters have mentioned, it's really only worth it if you drink 5+ beverages/day (exclusive of water, black coffee and tea).

Please don't share the drink package. For the reasons others mentioned but also please note that if they catch you sharing, they will cancel the package, NOT refund your money and then you have to buy all your future drinks. And yes they'll do it - we saw it a few times on past cruises.

Drink card, on the other hand, usually shows up on Day 4 and you can indeed share drinks on that one.

Have fun!

Why on Earth would someone think they were allowed to share a drink package? People who do that are going to really stick it to their fellow passengers.

I'll defend the newbie. Over 10 cruises over the last 20 years for me. 20 years ago the drink prices were 'reasonable'. 5 years later they were ridiculous, enter the rum runner and "smuggler" game. We did it b/c you were getting bled to death by the prices on almost all lines. The inclusive drink packages came along and we went with them b/c it was nice just getting what you want when you want w/o having to worry about your tab going crazy over the 7 nights. After the packages became popular the lines started making all passengers 21 and over in the same cabin purchase it. Well they encouraged sharing for those who only want a drink or two over the seven day period. The prices they charge today are causing the "sharing" problem and it's their own fault. If they go to the policy of all 21 and over have to have the package on RCI fleet wide, well get ready for the threads to flame on the "smugglers" b/c that's what will happen in response. I don't feel sorry for these cruise lines they are making their money. But beware on this board they'll defend the favorite line to no end. I also love RCI's policy of charging all cabin guests pre-paid gratuity of $13+ / day, then passing out envelopes. I would like to know what percentage they really give to the actual staff that served the customers, b/c those stewards, waiters, and most bar tenders, do an outstanding job and deserve all of it. As far as the cruise lines and their $12 "drink of the day", what a joke, they created the mess b/c they don't offer an affordable alternative.

I'll defend the newbie. Over 10 cruises over the last 20 years for me. 20 years ago the drink prices were 'reasonable'. 5 years later they were ridiculous, enter the rum runner and "smuggler" game. We did it b/c you were getting bled to death by the prices on almost all lines. The inclusive drink packages came along and we went with them b/c it was nice just getting what you want when you want w/o having to worry about your tab going crazy over the 7 nights. After the packages became popular the lines started making all passengers 21 and over in the same cabin purchase it. Well they encouraged sharing for those who only want a drink or two over the seven day period. The prices they charge today are causing the "sharing" problem and it's their own fault. If they go to the policy of all 21 and over have to have the package on RCI fleet wide, well get ready for the threads to flame on the "smugglers" b/c that's what will happen in response. I don't feel sorry for these cruise lines they are making their money. But beware on this board they'll defend the favorite line to no end. I also love RCI's policy of charging all cabin guests pre-paid gratuity of $13+ / day, then passing out envelopes. I would like to know what percentage they really give to the actual staff that served the customers, b/c those stewards, waiters, and most bar tenders, do an outstanding job and deserve all of it. As far as the cruise lines and their $12 "drink of the day", what a joke, they created the mess b/c they don't offer an affordable alternative.

RC actually did the reverse and removed an original requirement for all guests to purchase. Now it seems they want to go back to that. I have to object to you view that the cruise line causes the sharing problem. Sharing anything that is designated as per person only is dishonest. No one forces anyone else to behave that way.

The amount of sharing I see is mind boggling, people openly and even proudly admitting that they just bought one package between them as though it is somehow clever. Conversely the amount of people demonstrating daily their integrity in not sharing prove it's entirely possible to either both buy a package or buy drinks as you go.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback... I appreciate the transparency and candor around sharing a drink package... after giving it some thought we'll probably forego buying the drink package as we may be ok with our onboard credit and 2 bottles of wine.

Again I appreciate all the input and thank you all for taking time to respond! Take care...

Thanks everyone for all the feedback... I appreciate the transparency and candor around sharing a drink package... after giving it some thought we'll probably forego buying the drink package as we may be ok with our onboard credit and 2 bottles of wine.

Again I appreciate all the input and thank you all for taking time to respond! Take care...

We will be on the same cruise, and right down the hall in rooms 7102 and 7104 (it is my husband and I and teenage son and daughter).

We bought the drink package, but we didn't have any OBC like you do. The drink package is expensive, but I want to be able to relax on the cruise and not worry about the bill at the end. Plus, this gives me a chance to try drinks I've never had and if I don't like them, just order something else. I'm not a beer drinker, more mixed drinks which are more expensive. If we had the $300 OBC like you do, we may not have bought the package.

We are only a week away!! I hope you have a great time :)