Can I fish off the Ship???

rucruisn2

We set a record for flying the most kites flown off the stern of a cruise ship. a couple of yrs ago on the Summit. Pix on file at Cruise addicts under kite flying. Was way fun. Fishing would be tough because you would have a long way up to reel the catch in and might loose it on a deck below or smack someone just hanging out below. :-) Rix

Did you really do this? Fly a kite? In March we have a bunch of cruisers on the aft and that would be so much fun if we all flew a kite. I didn't know this was permitted. Post a picture for us.

Phil, should we bring kites?:D We could string peanuts to the tail of it.:D :D

Garry

I was just wondering last night if I could fish off the side of the ship when it's at anchor or in a port? My DH thinks I'm nuts, but it sounds fun to me. Has anyone done this? What would X do if I tried it?

I've not tried fishing,but before the tighter security regulations ,I would bring my shotgun and hunt seagulls. Now that that's over,I have to amuse myself with springboard diving off my veranda. You must have a suite however. That way you can have your butler rig an ironing board to give the proper trajectory. Otherwise you might just wind up in a lifeboat as I once did...ouch.

gkm

Fly a kite? Yes, people really do fly kites from their staterooms. :eek:

On a Celebrity cruise on a Mexico cruise a women had two that she tried to fly. Her problem was she was mid-ship and forward of our SS and I got hit by one of them (no problem, but had fun kidding her as she was a lawer) :)

The ship was moving at full speed and the wind was across toward the ship, so they were hitting the ship.

Honest!

Ray

We set a record for flying the most kites flown off the stern of a cruise ship. a couple of yrs ago on the Summit. Pix on file at Cruise addicts under kite flying. Was way fun. Fishing would be tough because you would have a long way up to reel the catch in and might loose it on a deck below or smack someone just hanging out below. :-) Rix

Couldn't find this picture, but would love it!

Do you have a copy or a web address? If need be you can email me.

Thanks

I have to amuse myself with springboard diving off my veranda. You must have a suite however. That way you can have your butler rig an ironing board to give the proper trajectory.

You also have to remember to have them put out the big rope ladder so you can climb back aboard the ship. I forgot this once an had to swim behind the ship all the way to the next port -

Here is a link to the Kite Flying on the Summit. I believe it was 14 we had actually launched that flew at 1 time. It was tricky but we were able to manage with the help of the Cpt. steering into the wind. We did loose a few in the drink which caused a bit of a stink but was really a sight to behold in the history of Kites and cruising. We did have a NASA engineer help us vector wind paths, speed, backdrafts and angles for the launch. :-) I was the originator of the project and will always remember that experience forever. Rix http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=449

Great kite photos - I wonder if you could fly a kite from a Pocket Fisherman!

Things have changed a lot on cruise ships since I was a kid - I remember watching Filipino crew members fish off the mooring stations while we were in port. And the galley used to cook whatever we caught - but not anymore. On our recent Alaskan cruise, we inquired before embarking on a salmon fishing expedition if they would prepare our fish, and the galley told us that we would either have to fly the fish back to the States (frozen), or we could get it canned and store it in our stateroom - no more courtesy cooking for the passengers.

We used to skeet shoot off the stern of the Constitution and Independence with shotguns back in the day. In the 80's, they took away the guns but let us hit golf balls off the stern (until the environmental extremists started worrying about a golf ball getting lodged in a whale's blowhole). It's nice to know some captains still allow kites onboard. But don't let them take your kites away - "When they outlaw kites, only outlaws will have kites!"

Archived