Zika concern!

On Friday, I just found out that I'm 10 weeks pregnant :D But my cruise on the Anthem of the Seas leaves on August 3rd and will be going to 3 countries that have Zika. Unfortunately I didn't buy cruise inurance, but from what I have been reading, the insurance does not cover Travel to Zika infected areas. I was on the phone with Royal Caribbean for about an hour in Friday and they said if I cancel then I would have a 75% penalty. This would be the same if I changed itineraries. If I provide a doctor's note then they will review my case and MAY refund the penalty and give a cruise credit valid for up to 2 years. So there is no guarentee of me getting a full credit.

I was still thinking of going because I cannot afford to lose all that money. I have purchased Sawyer repellent products as a precaution. I was told that Bermuda is not affected and I'm able to get off there. As for the other ports (St. Martin, San Juan, Haiti), I would not get off the ship. There are soo many things to do that will keep me busy. Timing is bad but my husband and I have not had vacation since having our son 4 years ago and with another one coming we need the time together.

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/index.html is what the CDC has to say about Zika and pregnancy. Reviewing this information and consulting a medical professional will give you a much more well founded understanding of the risks than can be provided in this forum.

My only comment is that the financial loss of cancelling pales in comparison to the emotional and financial cost of dealing with a Zika infection while pregnant and beyond.

I have decided not to go on the cruise. I was able to get full cruise credit which I can use up to 2 years. Decided to go to Orlando and Tampa for a week. I appreciate the comments.:)

Good choice, Mama! Way to put your baby first. Props to the cruise line for working with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have decided not to go on the cruise. I was able to get full cruise credit which I can use up to 2 years. Decided to go to Orlando and Tampa for a week. I appreciate the comments.:)

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that RCI did the right thing. Enjoy Orlando and Tampa. Have a great cruise in a year or two.

I live in the Tampa area. If you're looking for things to do, the aquarium is very nice. Winter the dolphin is at a different aquarium not too far in Clearwater. That's the dolphin with the prosthetic tail. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you made a very wise choice to go in a different direction for your vacation at this time. So glad to hear how Royal was very cooperative with you. As I read the threads, there sure is a lot of negativity towards Royal's customer service. It may be a case of the vocal minority, whereas we don't hear as much from the silent, but satisfied, majority.

BTW, just talked with my daughter in Grenada again earlier today. Totally unrelated to the subject of this thread, but she & her husband were snorkeling in a cove a little north of St. Georges today. Beautiful aquatic life at the reef and she saw her 1st lionfish. Nothing unusual to note going in, but there was a crowd of looky-loos she saw on the beach upon coming out of the water. Here was a man looking like he was in his 50's lying dead on the beach...OMG!!! No indication of being wet, or foul play. Possibly a heart attack???