Which cruise to keep, which to cancel?

LMaxwell

Taking my dad for his birthday on a 4 day cruise later this year, my treat. My dad is in his 70's and although he cruised Carnival in the 1980's he cruises more with Princess and Celebrity now on 14-20+ day itineraries, with some MSC and Royal Caribbean for quickie 7 day Caribbean where my folks treat the ship like the destination. His only NCL cruise was last year on the Escape and I think he liked the entertainment and generally had a good time but not sure he'd rush back for a family mega ship. Right now I have 2 cruises booked for the same time and have to decide in a few weeks which to keep or cancel.

Cruise 1: Carnival Victory to Key West and Cozumel. Aft extended (not wraparound) balcony. I have done the 4 day before, and it is not a weekend cruise, but I do have some concerns over a rowdy crowd. My dad is pretty easygoing and if he can find some relaxing spots (Serenity, balcony) that should work. Cost is pretty friendly; under $900, I believe we will get some OBC (he owns stock) and military service. I'll be able to save even more with the Amex discounts. I know my dad would like to get to Key West, no idea how he thinks of Cozumel.

Cruise 2: NCL Sky to Cuba with a Havana overnight. Drinks are included on this ship. Around $100 OBC from travel agent. We would be staying in an interior cabin. The cost still works out to about double of the Victory; higher cost cruise, cost of Visas, trip insurance much costlier (would want cancel for any reason for this one). With potential changes to visitor requirements it is still up in the air if by end of year we will be able to tour on our own to satisfy P2P. Otherwise 3 excursions (1st day, 1st night, 2nd day) to be allowed to get off the ship would add probably another $1K through the cruise line, bringing price to almost triple of Carnival. This major unknown is my big hang up. He'd really like to see Cuba. Potential costs rack up pretty steep for this cruise.

I think due to costs and uniqueness of itinerary the Sky would not be a party ship, attracting those more interested in the destination and not the ship.

Royal Caribbean does not have a sailing that week; Enchantment of the Seas is in drydock, and otherwise would go to Nassau, something both NCL and Carnival avoid (major plus in my book).

I have been on both ships before. I enjoyed GSC (went before it was updated). I also enjoyed the Sea Day on the Carnival itinerary

I vote for the cruise to Cuba. We don't know how long this will remain an option, I think it's wise to grab it while it is still available. You can go to the other destinations anytime in the future. JMHO

For me it's an easy decision; the carnival cruise; but Cuba isn't of interest to me. It's hard to compare the pricing on the two because you are comparing apples to oranges since everyone is charging a premium now for cuba. If Cuba is a bucket list item then I'd go with that one, agree that it may not be an option forever.

Maxwell go back to MSC.

7 day Divina is priced right between these two 4 day cruises.

Undoubtedly a way nicer ship and phenomenal value. We have all been on MSC multiple times too so this would be a nice little change of pace for him.

I'm going w just my dad and I think four days of leaving my toddler with my crazy wife is plenty for him. :'):'):')

Personally I think neither sounds very satisfactory. I echo the suggestion to look into MSC, which I understand offers a few great Cuba itineraries.

If I had to pick between the two presented I would go with the Sky, but that is mostly because I really would like to steer clear of older Carnival ships. But then the Sky is all inclusive so it could very well attract a slightly more affluent booze cruise crowd.

Take the Carnival Victory cruise with your Dad and let him take this next year to both Key West and Havana.

MIAMI – June 10, 2017- Norwegian Cruise Line today announced updates to the their summer 2018 deployment, featuring exciting new opportunities for guests to set sail to their dream destinations, while unpacking just once and enjoying the most free and flexible cruising experience at sea. New for 2018, Norwegian Sun will reposition to Port Canaveral and offer all-inclusive four day cruises to Havana, Cuba and Key West, and three-day cruises to the Bahamas.

Norwegian Sun will undergo a two-and-a-half week dry dock in Victoria, British Columbia as a part of the Norwegian Edge™, the brand’s revitalization program.

Norwegian Sun’s four-day cruises to Cuba will depart Port Canaveral each Monday, beginning May 7, 2018, and feature a call on Key West, Florida and an overnight stay in Havana, returning to Port Canaveral each Friday. Norwegian Sun will transport guests to the heart of the action in both Key West and Havana, calling in Key West’s Old Town district and Havana Harbor, located in the heart of Old Havana.

All guests sailing aboard one of Norwegian Sun’s Cuba or Bahamas cruises from Port Canaveral will also enjoy unlimited complimentary beverages included in their cruise fare as a part of the ship’s all-inclusive program.