Passport for 2 year old??

Mammarazzi76

:DI'm hearing conflicting information regarding needing a passport for my not yet 3 year old vs. just bringing her certified birth certificate. We are sailing the breakaway and going to Bermuda and she'll still be two when we go. Do we definitely need a passport or can we use a birth certificate like we have in the past? If we just use her birth certificate will we still be able to get off the ship in Bermuda??

Thank you!!

:DI'm hearing conflicting information regarding needing a passport for my not yet 3 year old vs. just bringing her certified birth certificate. We are sailing the breakaway and going to Bermuda and she'll still be two when we go. Do we definitely need a passport or can we use a birth certificate like we have in the past? If we just use her birth certificate will we still be able to get off the ship in Bermuda??

Thank you!!

The birth certificate is acceptable, and you can still get off the ship.

I am not going into whether or not you need a passport, because you clearly know the answer and are just seeing if you can avoid it a while longer.

Closed loop cruise = no passport needed for U.S. citizens no matter what age when sailing.

Just don't miss the boat in a foreign port of call, or need to be taken ashore and left there for medical care.

On a closed loop cruise, this is normally at the passenger's discretion, and hopefully none of the issues hoopics mentioned will occur. However, one thing for you to note is that when you apply for a child's passport in the US, both parents are required to be present at a passport application. If both parents are not going on the cruise, I honestly don't know what would happen if you were stranded ashore and if the government would require the other parent to fly to wherever the child was to submit a passport application.

On a closed loop cruise, this is normally at the passenger's discretion, and hopefully none of the issues hoopics mentioned will occur. However, one thing for you to note is that when you apply for a child's passport in the US, both parents are required to be present at a passport application. If both parents are not going on the cruise, I honestly don't know what would happen if you were stranded ashore and if the government would require the other parent to fly to wherever the child was to submit a passport application.

If only one parent is going on the cruise, she/he will need to bring a document from the other parent (who is mentioned on the birth cert) giving the traveling parent permission to leave the country with the child. Contact NCL for the proper wording of the document (I think it needs to be notarized- at least it was on Celebrity).

So if stranded in Bermuda- you hopefully have all you need to get a passport (without TOO much hassle).

We cruised the BA to Bermuda in May with 3 yr old and 6 month old granddaughters (and parents). No problem with just having the Birth Certs for the girls..

A certified copy of the birth certificate is all that is needed.

The Bermuda authorities do not check passports when you get off the ship.

If only one parent is travelling, you will need letter from other parent giving permission before boarding in U.S.

A certified copy of the birth certificate is all that is needed.

The Bermuda authorities do not check passports when you get off the ship.

If only one parent is travelling, you will need letter from other parent giving permission before boarding in U.S.

I have gone on two cruises with my daughter who has her fathers last name and he is on her birth certificate and they didn't give me any hassle. He was not with us nor did I need any documentation from him saying I could take her on the cruise. First cruise was in 2011 when she was 5 going to The Bahamas from NYC & second was in 2015 when she was 9 going to Bermuda from NYC. We have another cruise planned for this November and will use her Birth Certificate again since her wonderful father will not sign for a passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Understand this is not a cruise ship requirement, but ICE. And I have personally observed them denying boarding to someone exactly in your situation because they decided to do a random trafficking check that day (this is more likely to happen at larger ports like FLL and MIA). I have also personally observed folks in this situation receiving additional attention on return. Anecdotally (not personally observed) I have heard the non-travelling parent call in a complaint (usually out of spite) that has resulted in detention on the arrival for taking a minor out of country without proper permission.

Do not assume that because it has not happened so far, it could not happen.

Also, you did not say if you have full custody, but if you do, documentation of that will be sufficient for most checks without a passport AND you can get a court order to get the passport without both parent's signature (also possible with shared custody but tougher)

If for budgetary or other reasons (like a non cooperative former spouse) you have no choice but to travel without one, then you just hope you don't need it and take as much other documentation as you can. The odds are 99.9 percent you won't need it, but when that .1 percent hits it can ruin a vacation or worse.

I have gone on two cruises with my daughter who has her fathers last name and he is on her birth certificate and they didn't give me any hassle. He was not with us nor did I need any documentation from him saying I could take her on the cruise. First cruise was in 2011 when she was 5 going to The Bahamas from NYC & second was in 2015 when she was 9 going to Bermuda from NYC. We have another cruise planned for this November and will use her Birth Certificate again since her wonderful father will not sign for a passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums