Escape missing 4/20/18 thru 4/22/18

JIMESOPUS

The Escape will be in Miami on 4/14/18 thru 4/20/18 for a 6 day Western Caribbean and be in New York on 4/22/18 to start the Bermuda season. Got tired of being on hold, was wondering if there is a 2 day re-positioning cruise out of Miami ?

Probably would not have a repositioning cruise, as it would violate Jones Act provisions that prohibit ships of Non-U.S registry from embarking and debarking guests at two different U.S ports.

The Escape will be in Miami on 4/14/18 thru 4/20/18 for a 6 day Western Caribbean and be in New York on 4/22/18 to start the Bermuda season. Got tired of being on hold, was wondering if there is a 2 day re-positioning cruise out of Miami ?

The minimum wage call center personnel will tell you exactly what you see. There is nothing scheduled during that Friday-Sunday period.

Probably would not have a repositioning cruise, as it would violate Jones Act provisions that prohibit ships of Non-U.S registry from embarking and debarking guests at two different U.S ports.

They have to reposition the ship. They could do a short port call in Nassau or GSC and sail sail to NY in the early afternoon.

When Carnival moves their ship from Florida to New York every year, the ship sails empty for a day or two. I have a feeling NCL might be doing the same thing too.

It is also good for the crew by giving them an extra day of rest.

They have to reposition the ship. They could do a short port call in Nassau or GSC and sail sail to NY in the early afternoon.

No. In order for a cruise to start at one port (Florida) and end at a different port (New York), the ship needs to stop at a distinct foreign port of call like the ABC islands. When ship does a closed loop round trip (starts and ends at the same port), this law does not apply. that's how i always the remember the law

The Jones Act. Something I learned on Cruise Critic. But I'm not sure what the exact provisions are.

Jones Act applies to cargo, PVSA is a different law that applies to passengers and that contains the limitation explained correctly in the post right above mine.

Jones Act applies to cargo, PVSA is a different law that applies to passengers and that contains the limitation explained correctly in the post right above mine.

The odd thing is if you read the act it just states that the cruise line gets fined $300 per passenger. Extend the prior cruise from say a 7 day to a 9 day and raise the fair. Could not be to hard to bundle that into a fare. Some in side cabins could be harder but suites might pick some of that up.

Even if they run half full you would think some income is better then just a two days worth of nothing but expenses.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Even if they run half full you would think some income is better then just a two days worth of nothing but expenses.

Those two days of nothing might seem crazy, but i wont be surprised if that's the only time they can do some maintenance work or deep cleaning that is normally hard to do with a ship full of passengers.

Thanks for all the thoughts .... but if I owned stock in NCL, wasting two days empty and burning fuel to NY doesn't make much sense. Jones ACT is a very good point, that's why we are going to the ABC islands on the Jade and Gem repo.

Something to ponder .... it's about 1200 NM from Miami to NY, at 22 knots it should take 2 days to make it, cutting it real close to the NY departure time to Bermuda.

Will hunt down the travel manager on the Jade in October, maybe I'll get an answer then because as it was posted earlier, they have no information on the phone.

Thanks for all the thoughts .... but if I owned stock in NCL, wasting two days empty and burning fuel to NY doesn't make much sense.

I understand your point, but giving stockholders input on ship deployments and sea operations makes less sense.

Something to ponder .... it's about 1200 NM from Miami to NY, at 22 knots it should take 2 days to make it, cutting it real close to the NY departure time to Bermuda.

Your distance is off. It's about 950 NM from PortMiami to NYC. And 22 kpm is not taking the northbound Gulfstream into account. This adds some speed and efficiency.

Even so. At 22 knots it should take 43 hours to make it. If the Escape leaves PortMiami after clearing all the passengers at 12 noon or 1PM, it would arrive in New York around 9 or 10 AM. The ship sails for Bermuda at 4.