Help with choosing Shore Excursions on Escape

Hi all! I will be traveling on the Escape in October. I am traveling with my two nieces (17 and 21) and they have never cruised before! I am looking for suggestions for shore excursions that would work well for our group. We have 3 stops-- St. Thomas, Tortola, and Nassau. I would love some advice!

Also- I am looking for areas on the ship where we will be able to relax in the sun without the chaos of the pool! I know I don't want to try to do the Vibe passes (I don't want to start off the cruise with that stress!) So if you have any suggestions for quieter places on the ship, let me know!

One more thing, we will be traveling on the anniversary of their mother's death. I am looking for suggestions of something I can do for them on that day that would be special (but not too expensive-- must stay in budget)

Thanks so much!

Edited by AuntieCharity
added more information

Hi all! I will be traveling on the Escape in October. I am traveling with my two nieces (17 and 21) and they have never cruised before! I am looking for suggestions for shore excursions that would work well for our group. We have 3 stops-- St. Thomas, Tortola, and Nassau. I would love some advice!

Also- I am looking for areas on the ship where we will be able to relax in the sun without the chaos of the pool! I know I don't want to try to do the Vibe passes (I don't want to start off the cruise with that stress!) So if you have any suggestions for quieter places on the ship, let me know!

One more thing, we will be traveling on the anniversary of their mother's death. I am looking for suggestions of something I can do for them on that day that would be special (but not too expensive-- must stay in budget)

Thanks so much!

You should really see if you can get Vibe passes. Its one of the best parts of the ship...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXeroHJikWI&ab_channel=LaszloBagi

I have been on Escape twice and can tell you deck 19 outside of vibe (the 17 year old would not be able to join you in Vibe anyway) is a great place to sit in sun it has a mister and 2 hot tubs plus bar. If you are smokers H2O has an smoking area and the Grato and hot tubs but can be crowed.

Both St Thomas and Tortola have great beaches. The Rebel Yell to soggy dollar is always fun in Tortola or just walk out to taxi stand and for $25 per person they will take you to other side to beaches.

Sorry to hear about your Nieces mom. As someone with stage 4 Cancer and an 24 year old son I hope he continues to travel when I'm gone.(I am taking him on Getaway this October for my birthday) I would book Specialty restaurant for the Anniversary depending on what kind of food you all like and do a toast to her. The ones on waterfront have great views.

What ever you decide I am sure you all will have a great time.

Thanks so much!

It's a bit hard to advise on shore excursions without some information about what every likes to do. However, here are some suggestions:

St Thomas: Everyone goes to Megan's bay beach. While it's supposedly the "perfect" beach, it can can also get very crowded when there are a lot of ships in port. I prefer Lindquist beach, which is next door to Meagan's. Both Lindquist and Meagan's are parks, which means there is an entry fee, and there are only minimal facilities at the beach. A lot of people like Coki beach. We've been there and it was WAY too crowded for our taste. There is some snorkeling along Coki beach but it's not the greatest.

You can get to any of these beaches through a shore excursion, or you can just go out on the pier, and grab a taxi. Taxis on St. Thomas are open mini buses..the driver will want to fill up his mini-bus before he leaves, and do the same on returning. They will also drop off and pickup on the way. But if you get a taxi at the port, usually they get filled up right away with a crowd for one beach or the other. There are always taxis waiting at the beaches to take people back. Fare is fixed.

HOWEVER: If you want to see the real "perfect" beaches, you need to ferry over to St. John. Again, you can do this through the ship or on your own. Most of St. John is a national park, and the beaches are pristine and beautiful. There's lots of info on all this on the Caribbean ports of call boards.

Tortola: If you like to snorkel, I really urge you to do the "Norman Island Snorkel." Norman Island has one of the most amazing reefs, and there are also caves (once reported to hold pirate treasure) that you can snorkel into a ways. Then you get some beach time after your snorkel. A really good excursion, IMO.

A lot of people do "The Baths at Virgin Gorda" out of Tortola. The Baths are indeed an interesting beach...look it up on line. You can do this on your own, or through an excursion.

Nassau: A lot of people opt for going to Atlantis on some kind of day pass. Personally, I think it's over-rated and way too expensive. There are good beaches on Nassau, but give Junkanoo a pass unless you like a crowded beach with many, many peddlers trying to sell you things. Iv'e done some decent snorkeling from Nassau, out at Athol island.

Definitely do some searching through the Ports of Call - Caribbean boards. You'll get a lot of other ideas.

I sail with a 17 and 20 yo. Try coke for st Thomas or charter high pockets sailboat for a personalized snorkel trip. Tortola do the baths if active and in good shape. Nassau, do blue lagoon excursion. They can swim with dolphins or beach it. The boat ride over to the lagoon is a nice little tour of the rich and famous homes on the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sail with a 17 and 20 yo. Try coke for st Thomas or charter high pockets sailboat for a personalized snorkel trip. Tortola do the baths if active and in good shape. Nassau, do blue lagoon excursion. They can swim with dolphins or beach it. The boat ride over to the lagoon is a nice little tour of the rich and famous homes on the island.

Coki beach in st Thomas . High pockets will take you to honeymoon beach/st john

We really enjoyed the Blue Lagoon in Nassau if you want a little escape. We have our first Tortola visit coming up so enjoying some of the suggestions here, too.

VideoTech - it's "Magens", not "Meagans"... and it would properly be pronounced with a silent "G" since it's Danish, think closer to "Mayans", though I think even the locals don't realize that. :)

Thanks so much!

I was on the Escape last year and Loved It!!!! Our favorite spot was on the waterfront. This is the outside deck area (deck 5 or 6) with tons of seating. There are these outdoor u shaped sofas and if you sit near the bars you hear their music. We would go there everyday after breakfast and lounge, read a book, drink, etc. we found this much more enjoyable than the pool area, which is small. This was the most relaxing part of the trip and beautiful to watch the water and still be outside but in full shade.