Tipping with Phone Cards

tree99

First let me say thank you to all who gave me feedback on my Soda Card question last week. I was overwhelmed with the range of answers and the strong feelings that several board members have on this subject.

New Topic, Tipping with phone cards, do all employees like this option or is cash the best option? Should we spread the wealth early on, or wait a few days until service sorts itself out? I have read a lot of posts saying to tip the cabin steward the first day and other have said not to, how does one know if their service is better or not if they are tipped in advance. I am a firm believer in tipping, I even tip the attendant at a local ice cream shop, as scooping ice cream is a hard job. I tip well for good service and the minimum for crappy service, but I always leave something.

Once again, thank you in advance for your feedback, I hope that this is not as controversial a topic as the Soda Card, but since we are leaving on Saturday on the VOS, this is a last minute post.

Happy Holidays to all.

First, are you suggesting substituting a phone card of comparable value for the tip? Like, instead of $25 to the assistant server, a Verizon international card or something like that (I've never used a phone card in my life) worth $25? If that is your idea, my response is no, no, no and NO. Can't feed your family with that. Baby can't wear that on his or her feet.

If your idea is, tip the recommended amount, and as something 'extra" above that (when I was a law student in the former city of New Orleans that was called Lagniappe), then maybe--but just maybe, as I have read postings that many cruise ship employees have international cell phones already. Like, maybe that was a better ide a few years ago in the rapidly developing world of cell phones.

Give them cash, or charge it to your shipboard account--money, thats what is appropriate.

That's my 2 cents.

Before I went on the Disney Magic, I went on the cruise forum to see what I should do for the camp counselors. Phone cards were suggested and I brought about a dozen with me (Sam's Club has a multi-pack). We put them in envelopes and gave them out at the end. When we were at the airport we ran into our favorite counselor going home for vacation. He said that they pooled gifts and cash, then dipped into it for parties and group activities.

I am not sure how these gifts are distributed or if each person keeps his/her own "extras." Each ship and/or situation is probably different. It would help to hear from an employee or someone who has strong knowledge on this subject.

I have heard that cash is the best "extra" gift and worth the most to the crew. I would be interested in learning more myself!:rolleyes:

For us the phone card would be in addition to the regular tip. Of course if you are referring to, perhaps, the kids councilors or someone like that, maybe a special bar tender then the phone card would be nice. The regular crew would prefer money I am sure. As for when to tip, that is always a subject for debate. I wouldn't walk into Ruths Chris and hand the wait person $10 before we order dinner nor would I tip the cabin steward before we get any service. If I was giving the phone card as an extra thank you, maybe. We have always waited til the end and gotten good service. I think tipping before hand is more like a bribe than a tip. This is just my opinion. NMnita

To me, the only legitimate use of a phone card is an "extra", a little something "special" in addition to a FULL CASH tip. It should never take the place of any part of your money tip.

Carol

I TOTALLY agree! Our cabin steward was outstanding, and we gave her a phone card we had purchased before the cruise in case we needed to call home from a port that we hadn't needed as a little extra and told her to spend a little extra time on the phone with her kids with it.

Anne

Archived