Carnival dropping Nassau port of call?

T&J1014

I'm speaking of the port area, which most never venture beyond. I'm aware of the pirate/NASA stuff. The problem with Grand Turk, for ME, is that you can take in most of the island in an hour or so, yet Carnival includes this stop on most every Eastern Caribbean itinerary. It's unavoidable for those of us who prefer the Eastern Caribbean. I've been there too many times and saw all there was to see my first visit. This isn't the case with islands like St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Puerto Rico, St. Kitts, etc... where you can see something new every visit. But, yes, the port on Grand Turk is cruise line built and fake. Read back over my post; I never said the island is fake. There are no fake islands (in the Caribbean), just some fake ports. I prefer real, naturally evolved ports.

I thought your point was pretty straight forward. You aren't a big fan of the new "cruise ports" which are specifically developed just for cruise passengers. ie. Amber Cove, Labadee, etc.

For us, I like a good mix. Grand Turk is a beach day, a fun one. And it's cool hanging on the beach so close to the ship. And the view from the ship over the island is really awesome since it's such a small island. Our last Carnival cruise went to San Juan, HMC, Grand Turk, and St. Thomas. It was a perfect mix, IMO.

I thought your point was pretty straight forward. You aren't a big fan of the new "cruise ports" which are specifically developed just for cruise passengers. ie. Amber Cove, Labadee, etc.

For us, I like a good mix. Grand Turk is a beach day, a fun one. And it's cool hanging on the beach so close to the ship. And the view from the ship over the island is really awesome since it's such a small island. Our last Carnival cruise went to San Juan, HMC, Grand Turk, and St. Thomas. It was a perfect mix, IMO.

Thank you! I didn't think my point was all that complicated either. I'm glad you do enjoy Grand Turk, it just doesn't appeal to me. It's a good thing that we all have different tastes and opinions. It keeps the world interesting.:) Interestingly, the thing you like most about GT, the beach by the ship, is the thing I dislike most about it. Too crowded for me and closed in feeling (since the ship blocks out the horizon). I do like a beach day on occasion - if it isn't overcrowded - but I prefer exploring an island, it's culture, history, architecture, flora and fauna, etc... There is certainly a little of that on GT, but the quaint little town/museum doesn't take very long to explore and once you've done it a couple of times it loses its interest. The lighthouse is an okay point of interest, but same thing goes for it. I'm honestly glad you and others seem to like GT though. I just wish it didn't pop up on most every Eastern itinerary. We opt for mostly Eastern itineraries (just a preference thing) and I'm pretty sure we've been to GT each of our last four cruises, plus a couple of times prior to that. Admittedly, I'd probably enjoy GT more if I were a snorkeler. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't swim - is a bit hydrophobic - and I won't go off and do things on my own, leaving her behind. But that's my problem and no one else's, as is my dislike of GT I guess. Oh, btw, my wife dislikes GT probably even more than I do. She loves shopping and there isn't much of that on GT, just Buffet's place and a few detached from the ship "Fun Shops." Okay, I've rambled enough. :o

Thank you! I didn't think my point was all that complicated either. I'm glad you do enjoy Grand Turk, it just doesn't appeal to me. It's a good thing that we all have different tastes and opinions. It keeps the world interesting.:) Interestingly, the thing you like most about GT, the beach by the ship, is the thing I dislike most about it. Too crowded for me and closed in feeling (since the ship blocks out the horizon). I do like a beach day on occasion - if it isn't overcrowded - but I prefer exploring an island, it's culture, history, architecture, flora and fauna, etc... There is certainly a little of that on GT, but the quaint little town/museum doesn't take very long to explore and once you've done it a couple of times it loses its interest. The lighthouse is an okay point of interest, but same thing goes for it. I'm honestly glad you and others seem to like GT though. I just wish it didn't pop up on most every Eastern itinerary. We opt for mostly Eastern itineraries (just a preference thing) and I'm pretty sure we've been to GT each of our last four cruises, plus a couple of times prior to that. Admittedly, I'd probably enjoy GT more if I were a snorkeler. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't swim - is a bit hydrophobic - and I won't go off and do things on my own, leaving her behind. But that's my problem and no one else's, as is my dislike of GT I guess. Oh, btw, my wife dislikes GT probably even more than I do. She loves shopping and there isn't much of that on GT, just Buffet's place and a few detached from the ship "Fun Shops." Okay, I've rambled enough. :o

I'm not sure I can agree with your point about Grand Turk's beach being crowded. The beach is quite long and you can simply walk down further away and be all by yourself - you can always walk far enough away to not have the ship in front of you.

I don't personally go on cruises with the expectation of exploring the ports/islands much. I will at certain spots - did the train at St. Kitts and various island tours. But when cruising, I'm more focused on activities that I want to do. I do make an effort to explore when visiting something new, though. But if you don't swim and like shopping, I can see how these "cruise ship centric" ports don't appeal much to you.

One reason I quite like Nassau is that it offers all of the above. Great beaches, shopping, and lots of activities. I'll be in Nassau next Friday, actually (not on a cruise).

There was nothing wrong or confusing about your earlier posts. I understood what you were saying perfectly. Not that you don't have the right to dislike a port - but you weren't saying you did. Just that some others with a more authentic feel is what you prefer. That poster is argumenative on almost every thread, which is why I happily put them on my ignore list. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I can agree with your point about Grand Turk's beach being crowded. The beach is quite long and you can simply walk down further away and be all by yourself - you can always walk far enough away to not have the ship in front of you.

I don't personally go on cruises with the expectation of exploring the ports/islands much. I will at certain spots - did the train at St. Kitts and various island tours. But when cruising, I'm more focused on activities that I want to do. I do make an effort to explore when visiting something new, though. But if you don't swim and like shopping, I can see how these "cruise ship centric" ports don't appeal much to you.

One reason I quite like Nassau is that it offers all of the above. Great beaches, shopping, and lots of activities. I'll be in Nassau next Friday, actually (not on a cruise).

Sorry to get off subject, but I have to ask. What was your impression of the scenic railroad excursion on St. Kitts? I ask because we are seriously considering St. Kitts and the train for our next cruise. We were supposed to visit St. Kitts on a previous cruise, but wind prevented us from docking. Sigh.

Yes, you are right that the beach at GT is long and the ship doesn't block the view further on down. I had forgotten that in my comment. You might wonder how I could forget that having been there multiple times. I guess the reason is because we've never been to that beach as a destination, but have just stopped by there a couple times after returning from an excursion. I just remember thinking, man, this place is crowded and closed in! We really should have wandered farther down. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I've made a couple more in the past believe it or not. ;)

There was nothing wrong or confusing about your earlier posts. I understood what you were saying perfectly. Not that you don't have the right to dislike a port - but you weren't saying you did. Just that some others with a more authentic feel is what you prefer. That poster is argumenative on almost every thread, which is why I happily put them on my ignore list. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up. ;)

For me, I know, I am different from many who post on here, in that, I live in Canada, and live in a cold climate for at least 5 months a year, and the other 7 are temperate, but when I cruise I want to go down to a southern climate, and it does not matter what time of year that I happen to cruise, I just want to go south. Sorry Alaska, you will not likely ever see me up there.

I have been to the Bahamas, many times on land vacations and have loved that place. loved my vacations, and when I see comments on here that say ,stay on the ship etc, it actually hurts me to read that. I have not spent one single bad second on the Bahamas.

there is so much to see, discover and enjoy on the Bahama islands, regardless if Nassau or Freeport is your port of call.

If you have been to Nassau a hundred times, fine, I understand, but if you only been once or never, please do go out and explore. The Bahamian people are welcoming and there is so much to see and enjoy even in Nassau , even if you dont go to the straw market, just so much else other stuff to discover and see.

We are the opposite. Never had a problem in Nassau and we like going to actual places with actual culture and citizens. We have never been accosted, attacked or mobbed. You can keep your fake private islands although whoever came up with them was a financial genius. Great way to keep all the profits with the cruise line.

I would be very, very surprised if Nassau is removed from itineraries permanently. One of the few places shorter cruises can get to outside of the fake private islands.

Amen.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Forums mobile app

Thank you! I didn't think my point was all that complicated either.
You insinuate that I had trouble comprehending your point. Not that it matters, but I don't appreciate that insinuation because I understood what you said just fine. You include Grand Turk in your list of ports that you call "fake ports" and that lack "real history." I merely pointed out the history; no more, no less. It isn't a fake port built and ran by Carnival, as you put it. It's the capital of an island chain that's been there long before Carnival. If you're referring the large Margaritaville complex, I can see where that would fall into the unauthentic category, as far as ports go, but that was not built, nor is it owned, by Carnival.

That poster is argumenative on almost every thread, which is why I happily put them on my ignore list. Lol
Thanks for the heads up. ;)
It's unfortunate that cruizinisthebest has put me on their ignore list because I think they've misunderstood things I've said that have offended them so badly. I challenge them to go through my past posts and prove that I'm argumentative on almost every thread, because I know it's untrue. My goal here is the same as it was on the old Carnival Funville forums. That is, to talk about cruising, to answer questions when I can, to help anyone I can, and to have meaningful discussions about something my family & I enjoy. Sure, topics become heated sometimes (ok, more than sometimes LOL), but just because I stick up for myself, as well as other forum members, in certain threads that always tend to get heated doesn't make me argumentative. I will always take a stand against the rude posters who constantly fling insults and attack others rather than contribute something meaningful. Again, I don't believe that makes me argumentative. Might I suggest that you make up your own mind about individuals on here rather than take someone's word for it. Reason being, many of the ones who cause a lion's share of the trouble tend to then blame everyone else when discussions get out of hand.

Sorry to get off subject, but I have to ask. What was your impression of the scenic railroad excursion on St. Kitts? I ask because we are seriously considering St. Kitts and the train for our next cruise. We were supposed to visit St. Kitts on a previous cruise, but wind prevented us from docking. Sigh.

Yes, you are right that the beach at GT is long and the ship doesn't block the view further on down. I had forgotten that in my comment. You might wonder how I could forget that having been there multiple times. I guess the reason is because we've never been to that beach as a destination, but have just stopped by there a couple times after returning from an excursion. I just remember thinking, man, this place is crowded and closed in! We really should have wandered farther down. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I've made a couple more in the past believe it or not. ;)

We did the "Rail and Sail" in St. Kitts and loved it. The train is really quite nice but still "rustic". I was surprised that they didn't stuff the train full, so you have a ton of space to get comfortable. On the train car you have upstairs and downstairs, it has a bathroom, too. Plus there is a lovely lady on each car who bartends and provides free drinks. It's very scenic and a pretty long ride over some scary bridges, too! The quality of the excursion was really top notch. Definitely do it. Once you get to the end of the train ride, a little bus is there with the same driver who took you to the first stop, and he drives you a short distance to the sail boat, which is pretty typical catamaran with open bar, restroom,e tc. etc. Very well run excursion, professional, clean, etc. Do it.

On Grand Turk, seems you should just wander down to Jack's Shack :)

I have been to the Bahamas, many times on land vacations and have loved that place. loved my vacations, and when I see comments on here that say ,stay on the ship etc, it actually hurts me to read that. I have not spent one single bad second on the Bahamas.

there is so much to see, discover and enjoy on the Bahama islands, regardless if Nassau or Freeport is your port of call.

If you have been to Nassau a hundred times, fine, I understand, but if you only been once or never, please do go out and explore. The Bahamian people are welcoming and there is so much to see and enjoy even in Nassau , even if you dont go to the straw market, just so much else other stuff to discover and see.

YES! Thank you. I try and say the same thing when I see these anti-Nassau threads. The Bahamas is spectacular and the Bahamian people really understand that they live on tourism. Sure there are a few vendors near the port that are less than desirable, but get away from the port and there is so much to see and do. For a land based vacation, I'd probably take the Bahamas over almost any Caribbean island, too.

We did the "Rail and Sail" in St. Kitts and loved it. The train is really quite nice but still "rustic". I was surprised that they didn't stuff the train full, so you have a ton of space to get comfortable. On the train car you have upstairs and downstairs, it has a bathroom, too. Plus there is a lovely lady on each car who bartends and provides free drinks. It's very scenic and a pretty long ride over some scary bridges, too! The quality of the excursion was really top notch. Definitely do it. Once you get to the end of the train ride, a little bus is there with the same driver who took you to the first stop, and he drives you a short distance to the sail boat, which is pretty typical catamaran with open bar, restroom,e tc. etc. Very well run excursion, professional, clean, etc. Do it.

On Grand Turk, seems you should just wander down to Jack's Shack :)

Thank you for the info and for taking time to describe the train ride in detail. I was pretty disappointed last time that we didn't get to dock there. I already had the train booked. It sounds great! I can't wait. I've never been to Jack's Shack, though I am aware of it. I might just take your advice next time I'm at GT... and that shouldn't be too long. ;)

Thank you for the info and for taking time to describe the train ride in detail. I was pretty disappointed last time that we didn't get to dock there. I already had the train booked. It sounds great! I can't wait. I've never been to Jack's Shack, though I am aware of it. I might just take your advice next time I'm at GT... and that shouldn't be too long. ;)

Walked to Jack's with another CC'er. I wasn't aware of it until she suggested it and off we went. It's WAY away from all the crowds and people. Basically at the far end. It may be exactly what you are looking for if you just want to relax, enjoy the beach and grab a couple drinks.

Walked to Jack's with another CC'er. I wasn't aware of it until she suggested it and off we went. It's WAY away from all the crowds and people. Basically at the far end. It may be exactly what you are looking for if you just want to relax, enjoy the beach and grab a couple drinks.

It sounds nice! I'll do a little research on it. Right now we are eyeing two cruisesin September. One of them would include GT. The other is a Western itinerary. We haven't done one of those in years, so it is appealing for that reason. On the other hand, I really want to ride the train at St. Kitts. We'll have to decide pretty soon. If we end up at GT once again, I'll definitely check out "Jack's." Thank you!

I was also disappointed that my cruise for Feb 2019 has had half moon caye and nassau removed and only amber cove added. So on top of the itinerary we wanted being changed, only 1 port was replaced.

And we were not informed, I just happened to notice when I logged in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another who would be mad about HMC and not so sad about Nassau.

The port has gotten so bad just to get to the island. Best time we've had though was the first time. Rented scooters and rode the whole island. Had a group of 8 or so, wouldn't have done it without numbers but, it was a great time and the people we met were awesome. Just be careful, the traffic signs are just suggestions!

I was also disappointed that my cruise for Feb 2019 has had half moon caye and nassau removed and only amber cove added. So on top of the itinerary we wanted being changed, only 1 port was replaced.

And we were not informed, I just happened to notice when I logged in.

If I ever find myself in your or the OP's situation, this is what would disappoint me the most. Not so much which port of call they took away, but more so the fact that they reduced three ports of call down to two. Ports are a major factor when most people decide on a cruise. If you're someone who enjoys the ports, I feel like this situation is replacing the desired cruise with something of lesser value.

We don't book cruises that go to Nassau because for us, it's a waste of money. We just thought it was comparable to somewhere like Detroit or places in NJ. Not somewhere we enjoy going. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they did away with going there, but I know there are a few who actually enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our first experience with Grand Turk was in the late '90's on a now defunked cruiseline. It was perfect, a ghost town with a beautiful beach right THERE, no venders, no people, no taxis, no restrooms, no bars, no nothing, just a beautiful beach with sapphire water that we've never seen.

We started to walk to the left toward town, can't remember how we knew that. We followed the coast for about 2 miles with no end in site. A farmer and his truck picked us up. We jumped in the back, and he dropped us off at the towns bar. We tried to tip him but he refused.

We had a few beers in the bar as we lingered listening to Raggae oldies. We knew all the words, and the locals welcomed us. We were the only "white Americans" We felt safe and had an enjoyable late morning.

We took off on foot again and came to the town about a mile or so later. Not really a town, just a library, a dive shop and a 7-11. We had trouble just buying a postcard........no touristy stuff. You could have been Elvis or Princess Di and walked around.........no one cared.

We asked for a taxi at 7-11 and one showed up for us. It only cost $5 to get back to the ship. What an adventure!!!!! I cringe when I see Grand Turk now, that undeveloped Island never to be seen as it once was.:loudcry::loudcry:

Our first experience with Grand Turk was in the late '90's on a now defunked cruiseline. It was perfect, a ghost town with a beautiful beach right THERE, no venders, no people, no taxis, no restrooms, no bars, no nothing, just a beautiful beach with sapphire water that we've never seen.

We started to walk to the left toward town, can't remember how we knew that. We followed the coast for about 2 miles with no end in site. A farmer and his truck picked us up. We jumped in the back, and he dropped us off at the towns bar. We tried to tip him but he refused.

We had a few beers in the bar as we lingered listening to Raggae oldies. We knew all the words, and the locals welcomed us. We were the only "white Americans" We felt safe and had an enjoyable late morning.

We took off on foot again and came to the town about a mile or so later. Not really a town, just a library, a dive shop and a 7-11. We had trouble just buying a postcard........no touristy stuff. You could have been Elvis or Princess Di and walked around.........no one cared.

We asked for a taxi at 7-11 and one showed up for us. It only cost $5 to get back to the ship. What an adventure!!!!! I cringe when I see Grand Turk now, that undeveloped Island never to be seen as it once was.:loudcry::loudcry:

Wow! You were quite lucky to be able to enjoy an unspoiled island like that. I'm sure you DO cringe now. Those are some great memories! :)

Wow! You were quite lucky to be able to enjoy an unspoiled island like that. I'm sure you DO cringe now. Those are some great memories! :)

Still lots and lots of islands like that.... all over the Bahamas. You just won't get there on a cruise ship.