Wifi in Eastern Med. cruise ports

prmetime

We are going to be on the Constellation next June for a 9 night eastern med cruise. Our ports are Dubrovnik, Mykonos, Piraeus (Athens), Santorini and Katakolon (Olympia). For those of you who have experienced these ports, is wifi available in cafes/bars in each port? Any locations or iOS apps you could recommend to help me locate these? The unlimited rates onboard are just too expensive given I'm also paying in CAD. Thanks.

We are going to be on the Constellation next June for a 9 night eastern med cruise. Our ports are Dubrovnik, Mykonos, Piraeus (Athens), Santorini and Katakolon (Olympia). For those of you who have experienced these ports, is wifi available in cafes/bars in each port? Any locations or iOS apps you could recommend to help me locate these? The unlimited rates onboard are just too expensive given I'm also paying in CAD. Thanks.

Hi, we've used the wifi in cafes in all the above ports with the exception of Katakolan, we always just asked before sitting down if they had wifi available. Often there will be a little sticker in the window announcing wifi. DH always has to do some work while traveling so we've gotten pretty good at finding wifi. Interestingly we discovered that France was the worst for wifi, which surprised us.

Another possibility to consider, is using a smartphone with a data plan. I use Google Fi Project. I have data access in 135 countries, including all of the places you mention, for $10 per GB. Tethering is included at no extra cost so I can use my smartphone as a WiFi hot spot for my tablet and other devices.

The thing I really like about this, vs WiFi, is that I don't have to find and stay at a business that has WiFi. I can get internet access any time the ship is near land, which is pretty much all the time in the Eastern Mediterranean.

Besides Google Fi, T-Mobile has a very well reviewed international roaming plans. I don't know what's available from Canadian cell providers.

Thanks everyone - great options although I don't think the FI Project works with Canadian carriers or without wifi. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It would be nice to start our own list. If anyone is sailing to these ports this year, I'd appreciate the information - I'd be happy to start a spreadsheet. Thanks again.

I think to use google fi you need a google phone such as Pixel or Nexus according to the fi website.

That is correct. My wife, daughter, and I are all on Google Fi, using the Nexus 5Xs that we bought for $250 each. It's a really nice phone with a great camera. Unfortunately, the 5X is out of stock, leaving only $600+ Pixel phones. Google says on their ProjectFi Twitter feed that they will announce "a new Fi-compatible device at a mid-tier price from one of our partners later this year." Until then, I don't see them getting many new subscribers.

The amazing part of Google Fi is the International roaming. I spent two weeks in Europe, used 1GB of data, and made lots of phone calls. My bill for the month was $50. If I had used my work Verizon phone, the bill would have been about $200 for that same month.

Yes, many cafes offer wifi with a purchase. In Dubrovnik, a hole in the wall cafe across from the port offers it, and if you opt to visit the island of Lokrim, they have wifi for all visitors. One tip is to buy your bottled water from a cafe instead of a shop in order to get some free wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums