Are the number of platinum and diamond cruisers dwindling?

jayscore

There is the Platinum and Diamond only party, replacing the "past guest" party that CCL used to have. (I assume there are a whole lot more "PG" than ever.)

Back to the subject, are there less Platinum and Diamond, or more. these days?

:confused:

I don't know the answer, but I also don't have any reason to think the number would be dwindling either. My daughter turns platinum on our upcoming cruise and hasn't needed to spend one dime of her own money to do so. That leads me to think that many other young cruisers are ` in the same boat`. Plus, you keep the status for life, so the only way to have less will be for them to stop cruising or die. For the reasons stated above, I would venture to say that the number is more likely to be increasing as opposed to decreasing.

Each time I go on a cruise...the waiting room for platinum and diamond is always jam packed now and usually standing room only by the time your allowed to board. They announced that there was 700+ guests at the last platinum and diamond party I went to on the ship.

Depends on the cruise. Most of the "Journey" cruises have HUGE numbers of P/D passengers. We did a transatlantic with something like 1,400 platinum and 800 diamond.

This. We leave Saturday on a 7 day and based on how few people have gotten on the roll call, I expect the number of P/D to be fairly low -- just the opposite for our Freedom Journey cruise in October which will probably be well over 50%.

I think it may be time of year. As a platinum cruiser (not to brag just to show that I have been on a fair share of cruises) I have learned that summer months and holidays are the craziest time to cruise. They are also the time when younger crowds travel due to school being out. I would deduce that the younger the cruisers, the less they have traveled and are not yet platinum status and thus less people at the PG party. The last time I was at a past guest party was during the off season last year and there were about 300 at the party.

I think the number of P/D cruisers is GROWING! The party for P/D has gotten bigger every cruise, and the Diamond only get together with the Captain has grown by leaps and bounds over the past 3 or 4 years. I can remember several times when I was the ONLY diamond guest aboard,,,and now,,,,,there ain't a chance of that. I've seen the diamond party held in the piano bar a time or two, and we couldn't all get in, as there were simply too many diamonds.

"SKY"

Depends on the cruise. Most of the "Journey" cruises have HUGE numbers of P/D passengers. We did a transatlantic with something like 1,400 platinum and 800 diamond.

Very true, we were on the Pride in Feb for a journey cruise and something like 1900 out of the 2100 passengers were platinum or diamond.

I would think that with the criteria changing, less people are making it to platinum than before, so maybe there are less per sailing.

One thing I should note, on the Pride cruise, there was a lot of mumbling about the cutbacks that have been made, for us the only one that was really noticeable and annoying (which I didn't think was going to be annoying) was the removal of the table clothes in the MDR.

I'm going to be stuck at gold for a while. But I would expect Carnival to react to increased numbers by adjusting the lifetime status rule. Maybe something like you must cruise so many times in a set period of time or have so many nights. I've gained high status and lost high status in hotel and airline programs. But I do fly Delta and have noticed they have a million miler club although I'm not sure what I'll get of I ever get there.

"Very true, we were on the Pride in Feb for a journey cruise and something like 1900 out of the 2100 passengers were platinum or diamond"

The regular line at guest services was probably shorter than the VIP line. I would love to fact check this, sounds a little too much

My granddaughter turned Platinum when she was 6 years old. With more and more families cruising Platinum cruisers will get younger and younger. I don't think attendance at the Diamond/Platinum party is a good indicator of how many are on board.

I think the number of P/D cruisers is GROWING! The party for P/D has gotten bigger every cruise, and the Diamond only get together with the Captain has grown by leaps and bounds over the past 3 or 4 years. I can remember several times when I was the ONLY diamond guest aboard,,,and now,,,,,there ain't a chance of that. I've seen the diamond party held in the piano bar a time or two, and we couldn't all get in, as there were simply too many diamonds.

"SKY"

Growing for sure .This saved my typing fingers ;). My wife and i were the only Diamonds on a few cruises ,talk about server over kill to much food and to many drinks. But on an off topic note, i feel the Captains grow leary of having to socialize with the Diamond member on every cruise. The topics become boring after so many parties. Look for that to be fazed out in the near future. The party will still be there just the Captain wont be attending. As a matter of fact a few have been a no show as of this past year.

I'm going to be stuck at gold for a while. But I would expect Carnival to react to increased numbers by adjusting the lifetime status rule. Maybe something like you must cruise so many times in a set period of time or have so many nights. I've gained high status and lost high status in hotel and airline programs. But I do fly Delta and have noticed they have a million miler club although I'm not sure what I'll get of I ever get there.

You will get Silver Medallion Status for life, and a "gift". Mine was a Tumi suitcase.

"Very true, we were on the Pride in Feb for a journey cruise and something like 1900 out of the 2100 passengers were platinum or diamond"

The regular line at guest services was probably shorter than the VIP line. I would love to fact check this, sounds a little too much

I was on that cruise. The regular line at GS was still long. I do know there were 153 diamond and there were 3 parties. I don't know the exact number but only 200 pax being blue, red and gold status? I know they were few and far between but I don't know if they were that rare.

Growing for sure .This saved my typing fingers ;). My wife and i were the only Diamonds on a few cruises ,talk about server over kill to much food and to many drinks. But on an off topic note, i feel the Captains grow leary of having to socialize with the Diamond member on every cruise. The topics become boring after so many parties. Look for that to be fazed out in the near future. The party will still be there just the Captain wont be attending. As a matter of fact a few have been a no show as of this past year.

Right you are Bo. I remember one "Diamond" get together, where I was the only Diamond aboard, and they had me go up to the bridge, where it was the Captain, the Hotel Manager, and ME! They had a food/drink layout fit for a king! I'd bet the officers had a GREAT party after I left the bridge. LOL

"SKY"

Ken

Well did the rate slow when Carnival changed the program to 75 days not 10 cruise's. I would assume that most young cruisers got their status under the old program. I wish I could take my grand child on 75 days of cruises. Just glad the wife and I are platinum.

Right you are Bo. I remember one "Diamond" get together, where I was the only Diamond aboard, and they had me go up to the bridge, where it was the Captain, the Hotel Manager, and ME! They had a food/drink layout fit for a king! I'd bet the officers had a GREAT party after I left the bridge. LOL

"SKY"

Ken

Did this 2 weeks ago on a older CCL cruise ship. Depends on the captain.

Well did the rate slow when Carnival changed the program to 75 days not 10 cruise's. I would assume that most young cruisers got their status under the old program. I wish I could take my grand child on 75 days of cruises. Just glad the wife and I are platinum.

Sure that slowed it down but they waited to long before the current stream was birthed already. And quite a few were grandfathered into the current program' We're in the D n P baby blooming era if you will ,until this current flux dies or moves on to other things. We enjoyed earning ours under this new change in the loyalty program.

The P/D # must be going up. For me and my wife both Platinum we decided to explore other lines. For us Carnival has been disappointing (cutbacks) the last couple years. I'm in no rush to make diamond as the extra laundry, captains M&G and the one, hold on just one specialty restaurant comp is a joke. I'll explore other lines, Royal for sure has a much better loyalty program.