AOTS Southern Caribbean cruise taxi question

tray

We are going on the Aruba, Curaçao, Bonaire and St. Maarten route. Do most of the taxis take credit cards? Just trying to figure out cash needed. Thanks!

So much cash, between 3 days in Puerto Rico and a week of cruising and excursions (tips) [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Uber works great for most places in Puerto Rico. We found it to be easier and cheaper than the taxis (and they take credit cards). But they can't pick up at the airport.

Uber works great for most places in Puerto Rico. We found it to be easier and cheaper than the taxis (and they take credit cards). But they can't pick up at the airport.

I am leary of the uber/taxi wars there. You didn't have any problems?

The two times I have cruise some San Juan the Taxi and limo service were fighting each other, I can see why the Uber people stay away. The only bad things I can say about the cruise out of San Juan were the taxi driver behavior after the cruise. Once we got in a cab it wasn't bad, but they were almost physically fighting for our business.

We didn't. But we used a taxi from the airport and after debarking. We used uber to get from our hotel to Old San Juan and from Old San Juan to pick up our luggage from our hotel and then on to the ship.

Maybe we just showed up at a good time, but we also didn't experience any issues with the taxi drivers. There were a couple people coordinating all the passengers and deciding who needed to be in each taxi at both the airport and the pier. They even found one for us that was able to take credit cards.

Also just back from the Adventure 7/8 sailing. Had a wonderful time!

Took a taxi from airport to La Concha Hotel (Uber does not pick up at the airport); next day, took Uber from La Concha to Old San Juan (Uber will not pick up directly on hotel property, so we walked a half block past it for our pick up). Took Uber from OSJ back to La Concha; took Uber to cruise terminal.

After we finished the cruise, :( we took a taxi to the airport- we didn't even have to wait. :) Dropped our luggage at the airport, then took a taxi back to OSJ with our hand luggage, where we rode the air-conditioned trolley shuttle around town (several times ;)). We then took Uber back to the airport.

We never waited more that 2 minutes for an Uber, and it was 1/3 the price of a taxi. We were even picked up in a Mercedes!

Wow, this is all very helpful information. Stupid question, but do you use the same uber app that we use here? How do you know where you have to walk to meet them?

Wow, this is all very helpful information. Stupid question, but do you use the same uber app that we use here? How do you know where you have to walk to meet them?

No questions are stupid. Yes, you use the same Uber app anywhere you travel. In most cases, the driver will pull right up to you. Occasionally, they would call and ask to meet 10- 30 ft. away. In one instance, we had a little trouble understanding the driver, so hubby handed the phone over to a passerby who then directed us to the meeting spot- about 10 feet from where we were standing. We had many interesting conversations with the drivers, which added to the excellent experience.

What time were you able to get off the ship? We will be on the cruise out of San Juan and are trying to plan after we get back but being our first time on Royal Caribbean, not sure what time we can expect to be getting off..

What time were you able to get off the ship? We will be on the cruise out of San Juan and are trying to plan after we get back but being our first time on Royal Caribbean, not sure what time we can expect to be getting off..

If you opt for self-assist disembarkation, and you are at the front of the line, you can be off the ship within 45 minutes of scheduled arrival.

You will get a schedule the night before departure with times and locations on the ship to prepare for disembarkation. Self-assist was 7am.

We had a choice between a 10am and 2pm flight. I was scared that if there were any last minute docking issues, we'd never make the 10am, so I booked the 2 pm flight.

I was also nervous about the vegetation customs at the airport which could really slow you down.

We were luggage self-assist, and little did I know that we could have gotten off the ship at 8am, as I had seen other passengers do. We didn't even go to the location for the self-assist passengers, as we were told to just exit the ship- which we did. We got to the airport by 9:40 and hoped to get on the early flight, but the gate had just closed. And, there was no line at the vegetation inspection! We could have made the 10am, but that would have been with the perfect scenario we had just experienced.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you!! We aren't in a hurry but we will be getting a rental car and driving to Ceiba to fly over to Vieques for a couple of days and are wondering which flight time would be best for us. We won't do the self-assist as I don't want to have to lug all my stuff lol. I think we will just play it safe and take an early afternoon flight as we will need to catch the rental car shuttle and then drive about an hour or so to Ceiba. Thanks again!

You will get a schedule the night before departure with times and locations on the ship to prepare for disembarkation. Self-assist was 7am.

We had a choice between a 10am and 2pm flight. I was scared that if there were any last minute docking issues, we'd never make the 10am, so I booked the 2 pm flight.

I was also nervous about the vegetation customs at the airport which could really slow you down.

We were luggage self-assist, and little did I know that we could have gotten off the ship at 8am, as I had seen other passengers do. We didn't even go to the location for the self-assist passengers, as we were told to just exit the ship- which we did. We got to the airport by 9:40 and hoped to get on the early flight, but the gate had just closed. And, there was no line at the vegetation inspection! We could have made the 10am, but that would have been with the perfect scenario we had just experienced.

Does anyone know what a reasonable taxi fare would be for two passengers and luggage from the airport to El Convento (Old San Juan)?

It would be a fixed fee as San Juan taxi fares are based on zones. Guessing around $25.